University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Who should pursue an MBA?
Successful applicants come from all walks of life, all over the world. We accept talented students looking to expand their knowledge base with applicable real-world experiences, and can demonstrate why the iMBA from Illinois is crucial for personal and professional success. Ideal applicants are emerging leaders and innovative thinkers who contribute unique perspectives to class discussions.
Benefits of applying for a priority deadline:
- No application fee
- Option to begin coursework early
Program start dates:
Program cohorts begin in January, March, May, August, and October of each year. Open courses are available to start throughout the year.
Spring 2022 Cohort Deadlines
|Priority Deadline 1||October 7, 2021 (PAT included)|
|Priority Deadline 2||November 4, 2021 (PAT included)|
|Final Deadline for January Start||December 2, 2021 (PAT included)|
|Final Deadline for March Start||February 3, 2022 (PAT included)|
The online MBA (iMBA) from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is designed for working professionals who demonstrate a commitment to excellence in their careers. Applicants should be ready to explain how the iMBA degree will help them achieve future career plans. See the full checklist.
Minimum Requirements for the iMBA program:
- Bachelor’s degree or US equivalent: You must have earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in the United States or an equivalent degree from an accredited institution in a foreign country. If you earned your degree(s) from outside the United States, refer to the following webpage for academic requirements by country: http://www.grad.illinois.edu/admissions/countries. A grade point average of 3.0 (A=4.0), or comparable GPA for an international applicant, for the last two years of undergraduate study is recommended. Applications are reviewed holistically; work experience, positive references, and a strong personal statement are considered indicators of success that can outweigh a lower GPA.
- 3 years professional work experience: All students are expected to have at least three or more years of rich, valuable operational or managerial experience.
- All required application materials
Required Application Materials (view the full checklist):
- Academic Credentials (transcripts, mark sheets and certificate(s) of degree for all degrees awarded)
- Personal statement/essay (prompts are located within the application)
- 2 letters of reference are required. At least one letter should be a professional reference from a current or former supervisor. Once you enter their information into the online application, your recommenders will be notified to submit a letter of reference or complete a brief online information form. Letters of reference can be received after an application is submitted. Letters must come directly from the recommender, letters submitted by the applicant are not accepted.
- English proficiency scores (international applications only): Review the Graduate College’s English proficiency requirements for more details.
A non-refundable fee of $70 for domestic applicants, $90 for international applicants.
The first step is to fill out the online application and attach all required materials (copies of transcripts for all higher education, resume, essay, and names with emails for your recommenders). After the admissions committee reviews your materials, you may be invited to an online interview. After the interview, the admissions committee will notify you with a decision. For admissions support, we offer online office hours, an admissions checklist, webinars, and email and phone support to answer your questions.
The iMBA is a completely online MBA degree program. No student visas will be sponsored for this program.
International students must submit attested English translations of all transcripts. While a final admission decision can be made using scanned copies of transcripts and degree certificates, official and original copies will be required if you are admitted. We recommend that you send all required documents with your application.
International students can find admissions requirements including minimum GPA, required materials, and accepted official transcripts for their country listed here. Minimum required scores, accepted test types, and waiver information for the English proficiency requirement can be found here.
You may submit a GMAT or GRE score, but these scores are not required.
Concerns about your application profile? Explore the Performance-based Admissions Track:
The Performance-based Admissions Track (PAT) is a first-of-its-kind pathway into the iMBA program.
How do I apply to the PAT? If you’re interested, you simply follow the regular iMBA admissions process, indicating that you would like to be considered for the PAT. You will undergo the same rigorous application review as a degree-seeking student, including a possible interview. If admitted into the PAT, you will take a set of three iMBA courses, and upon completion (cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better, including a B or better in at least 2 courses) you will be automatically admitted to the iMBA program as a degree-seeking student. The credits earned in those three courses will also be transferred toward your MBA degree. All students admitted to the PAT will be assigned an academic advisor and will have support throughout the program.
The benefits of the PAT include:
- Free application
- No enrollment deposit
- Opportunity to experience iMBA courses and earn academic credit
The PAT program could be the best fit for you, if you:
- Do not meet minimum undergraduate GPA requirement
- Have limited full-time or managerial work experience
- Are unsure if an online program is right for you
- Are uncertain about the time commitment needed to earn your MBA
Previously completed iMBA coursework:
If you have completed an iMBA for-credit course or Specialization, we will consider your performance as we evaluate your application. Please note that good performance in these courses does not guarantee admission to the program.
If you have questions about the application process or eligibility, please send us an email: onlineMBA@illinois.edu
- 90 countries and 46 U.S. states represented
- 41% women
- 37% international
- Average Age: 37 years old
- Average Undergraduate GPA: 3.5
Coursera does not grant credit, and does not represent that any institution other than the degree granting institution will recognize the credit or credential awarded by the institution; the decision to grant, accept, or transfer credit is subject to the sole and absolute discretion of an educational institution.
We encourage you to investigate whether this degree meets your academic and/or professional needs before applying.