Tomsk State University
Current Issues in Education
In this course, you will gain familiarity with current issues and trends in education, including educational innovation, internationalization, digitalization, and educational policy. You’ll learn to critically reflect on current issues in education and their impact on your own professional practice.
Language, Culture and Professional Communication
In this course, you’ll study topical issues of language and culture and analyze difficulties faced by teachers and managers. You’ll also examine the features of English structure and functioning as you build familiarity with various levels of language as a system—phonetics, morphology, semantics, pragmatics, sociolinguistic aspects, and more. You’ll build tolerance and respect for cultural values, and develop competence in professional communication.
TESOL Theory and Practice
In this course, you’ll get an introduction to key issues in TESOL. You’ll master practical methods of teaching English and study the structural components of a lesson and the role of pedagogical support (scaffolding) in teaching language skills. You’ll also develop your ability to create tasks and learning situations for practicing language skills and receive a critical overview of various approaches to teaching a foreign language.
Research Methods in Education
In this course, you’ll master practice-oriented research techniques necessary for the organization of effective educational research—techniques that enable teachers to obtain reliable results and use them reflexively in educational practice. You’ll also benefit from a systematic review of the methodologies and methods of educational research.
Learning Design and Leadership
In this course, you’ll gain knowledge, skills, and abilities in learning design. You’ll focus on learning outcomes and establishing means of analyzing the results of learning, and evaluating and improving educational materials. You’ll also examine modern approaches and methods of developing educational materials, taking into account educational policy and the learning process.
Teaching English in Different Contexts
In this course, you’ll develop skills related to the use of English in a wide range of contexts and professional spheres and for different purposes. You’ll learn universal learning activities, and develop skills necessary to prepare for the most popular English exams.
Management in Language Education
In this course, you’ll become familiar with current management practices in language education, including academic management, project management, team leadership, and the effective use of marketing in the practical activities of educational institutions.
When you graduate, you’ll be able to
- Apply a range of theoretical principles and practical approaches to your own teaching and lay foundations for originality in your own language classroom.
- Design and deliver courses and lessons effectively in diverse TESOL contexts, in a manner aligned with recent trends in English as a second language content design.
- Select, evaluate, and adapt resources, materials, and activities based on course and lesson aims and learner needs.
- Design your professional development strategy and manage your professional activity in selected TESOL contexts.
- Interact and network with peers effectively.
- Establish and lead effective TESOL management systems in digital and traditional classroom settings worldwide.
- Lead teams of TESOL professionals and manage their work.
Recognition by the Chartered Institute of Linguists
The Chartered Institute of Linguists (UK) is pleased to confer Recognised Programme status on the Tomsk State University’s Global MA in ELT Leadership. The program combines academic theory and learning with professional practice and experience to serve those wishing to become experts in a specific ELT area or ELT manager. Graduates of the program will have the knowledge and expertise to become leaders in educational management and the language learning sector.
NEW! Open Courses
Try one of Tomsk’s new courses to sample some of the topics covered in the ELTL degree:
- English Language Teaching: An Introduction
- English Language Teaching: Classroom Management
- English Language Teaching: Materials and Planning
If you would like a certificate of completion, you will need to submit a full payment to Coursera.
This program is on a fixed timeline and is completed in 24 months.
We estimate the necessary time commitment to be approximately 10-12 hours per week. The program is designed to offer maximum flexibility so you can effectively balance learning with your other obligations and commitments.
Coursera on mobile
More than 80% of degree students access course materials on the go with the mobile app, available on iOS and Android.
- Using the mobile app, learners can:
- Save a week’s worth of content for offline access with one click
- Save and submit quizzes offline
- View text transcripts of lecture videos
- Take notes directly in the app
- Set reminder alerts so you don’t miss important deadlines
Download Coursera's mobile app
Coursera does not grant credit, and does not represent that any institution other than the degree granting institution will recognize the credit or credential awarded by the institution; the decision to grant, accept, or transfer credit is subject to the sole and absolute discretion of an educational institution.
We encourage you to investigate whether this degree meets your academic and/or professional needs before applying.