Back to The Addicted Brain

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Addicted Brain by Emory University

This is a course about addiction to drugs and other behaviors. It will describe what happens in the brain and how this information helps us deal with and overcome addiction. It will also discuss other topics such as government policy and our vulnerability to take drugs....

CP

Apr 02, 2018

I learned a lot from this course that I have been able to use in a ministry capacity. If you are trying to help others with addiction or understand it for yourself, this is the course for you.

AN

Mar 30, 2017

This course is truly wonderful, many intellectual mind-opening surprises... for example I almost fell out of my chair when I learned of vaccinations development effort to counter addiction.

301 - 325 of 325 Reviews for The Addicted Brain

By Jakub B

Oct 09, 2015

Maybe because I am a med graduate already I expected much more from this course. It was ok, but my impression was always like there was too much of talking what important stuff is going to be discussed, but not really the facts themselves. I would rather learn more practical knowledge. Anyway I learnt some new things as well.

By Karen S

May 06, 2017

I was a bit disappointed about the lack of exposure to different models for thinking about addiction and the effects of addiction on the brain. Current theories were presented as "facts"; correlations were presented as causation without further considerations of alternative perspectives. It was a satisfactory very basic overview of current thinking about addiction, but would benefit from a wider consideration of different models.

By Marci A B

Oct 02, 2015

Very interesting as lay person interested in topic.

By D K

Jan 05, 2016

《成瘾的大脑》这门课程内容真的很丰富,老师讲述也很详细,不过要顺利学这门课还是需要一些生物学的入门知识的。

By Altug k

Jun 14, 2016

The course satisfied me in various aspects. It is brief and clear. Thank you for our instructor for nice presentations.

Nevertheless, I would expect more about pharma and treatment apporaches. More about drugs available in the markets and new trends.

Psychotherapy applications / demonstrations would be very useful.

By Iskra K

Apr 05, 2016

Course give very good information, but the "The addicted brain" its not the correct name.

Second part of the course give more detail information about different drugs and body biology, but its not directly related to the Brain.

However, the training its very good, just change the label.

By Alicia D R

Jun 30, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this class, and appreciate all of the information it entailed.

By Nikita I

Jan 28, 2017

Quite boring, a lot of propaganda against drugs. Sometimes data is presented in misleading ways to make the harm from drugs look greater. Though if you are new to the topic, you may consider to take the course as it contains some useful information.

By Anne H

Feb 06, 2018

I may be a bit harsh in my review because I found the material to be so basic as to be a poor use of my time. This conclusion is furthered by the dull presentation. It was very slow, lacked depth, and was delivered in an uninteresting way. Such a critically-important and fascinating topic could have been so much more engaging. Thank you. Anne

By Tj E

Nov 01, 2015

As a career dieter who is constantly reading about causes of obesity, I can't say I learned anything too earth-shattering. However, the research discussed does support what I have learned from listening to the podcasts from the Institute for the Psychology of Eating.

By David D

Jan 10, 2017

Information strays between ridiculously shallow and unnecessarily deep (e.g. the stuff about GPCRs is so far removed from importance when discussing addiction). Most of the time the questions are poorly worded and thoughtless, and the whole thing reminds me of a bad high school class. Some parts border on misinformation, does seem almost as if it's been underwritten by the DEA. Paints a very distinct picture, a picture with an agenda and really incomplete portrayal of addiction. Points for trying though.

By Tom T

Jan 28, 2016

I am very interested in this topic however I found the instructor's presentation to be so monotonic and slow paced that I dropped out. I am sure he knows his material cold and I am sure that he is much better "live" in class. The readings were appropriate and the course out line solid. However this is not his media. And I have done the "talking to the camera" thing and it can be deadly for presenters. It is not BTW an "age thing"; I am older than he, I am sure, and do not ask that presentations be entertaining - just that they be engaging. (Perhaps if Coursera had lecturers present in front of small groups, as "Great Courses" does? It is unfortunate that (as I understand it) Coursera doesn't offer a "free look" with the option to transfer one's fee to another course if unhappy. Hope this is constructive for both the lecturer and Coursera.

By Denis Y

Mar 10, 2018

Not much of information, not deep, a lot of repeating, speaker is very slow, feels like NLP

By Lovro T

Sep 09, 2015

Not very informative, and too simple. Also, there is way too much repeating

By Jason E

Aug 15, 2015

Very informative but very dry presentations.

By Daniel M C

May 14, 2016

very boring and didn't learn anything i didn't already know. this was more like watching an anti drug propaganda film that I couldn't finish it.

By Sophia S

Sep 10, 2016

VERY simple

By Alex W

Feb 03, 2016

If possible, I would give this course zero stars. It provides an incredibly closed minded view towards all topics and provides very minimal factual information. The makers of this course, and especially the instructor, obviously have had very little to no experience of any kind with most of the topics they discuss.

By Ahmed N

Aug 20, 2015

Interesting to say the least

Why cant i access my certificate. I paid and successfully passed

By Yang G

Feb 28, 2016

yeah i would give zero if possible. very shallow and general, cannot learn much from it. if u want a course about neuroscience there's way better course than this. what the hell emory? what hte hell coursera? i feel less and less sincerity in coursera's mooc these days. edx is doing a much better job in my perspective.

By Vera T

Jul 06, 2016

Unable to even start it... Click on videos of week 1 and nothing happens

By Joslyn L

Oct 30, 2015

Feels underwritten by the DEA, and aimed at perhaps high school students? Very slow pace; info could've been distilled into less than half the lectures (I completed the '7 weeks' in 3 days). Doesn't really distinguish between users without serious problems & addicts (which I believe amplifies gateway effects & experimentation once people meet users who aren't brain damaged or addicts). Creates an exaggerated and arbitrary distinction between prescribed drugs as all good and recreational as all bad, and dismisses any possible benefits of substances that are not legal, noting only that medical marijuana has been helpful for HIV patients, which is certainly an understatement. Components are also helpful for cancer patients, anxiety, and more. Perhaps break this into studies of common drugs, how they work, & effects and separately, the mechanisms of addiction and treatment. However, I appreciated the 'reduce harm' policy economics.

By Henriette P

May 01, 2016

you cannot do the quizes unless you pay

By Munzar A S

Sep 30, 2015

Really disappointing course. Content is shallow, despite the impressive credentials of the Professor. Quizzes are ridiculously easy.

By Guadalupe G G

Sep 13, 2019

;e es imposible tomar el curso, dado que no se puede traducir al español. Es inaccesible lamentablemente