Back to Age of Jefferson

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Age of Jefferson by University of Virginia

This course provides an overview of Thomas Jefferson's work and perspectives presented by the University of Virginia in partnership with Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello. Together, UVA and Monticello are recognized internationally as a UNESCO World Heritage Site....

HM
Jul 24, 2016

Fantastic course by Dr. Onuf! I learned much and he helped correct misconceptions I harbored regarding Thomas Jefferson. Great videos and selected readings. The quizzes were relatively challenging.

PL
Jul 29, 2020

Great lessons in the history of UVA and its architect/founder Thomas Jefferson. The professor was clearly excited about the subject matter and conveyed the history with enthusiasm and vigor.

26 - 50 of 130 Reviews for Age of Jefferson

By Pedro D M

Jul 22, 2020

Muy interesante la forma en la que pensaba y actuaba uno de los padres fundadores más importantes de la cultura norteamericana.

No solo con lo que tiene en cuenta con la Declaración de Independencia sino con la vida americana del siglo XVIII y XIX, y cómo con su ayuda intentó salvaguardar las libertades de los ciudadanos y los jóvenes.

By Kathleen S

Jan 12, 2018

The professor is an excellent and entertaining lecturer...very compelling look at Jefferson, his life, and his accomplishments. I'm very happy the educators did not shy away from the more distasteful aspects of Jefferson's life (i.e. his being a slaveholder). There was also a good mix of lecture, q & a, and campus tours of UVA. I re

By Marcos V M d S

Jul 19, 2017

I really enjoy and learn about the ideas of Thomas Jefferson about the American revolution, the Constitution, the malaise of slavery of those days, the importance of education to keep alive the principles of that Revolution and what means The Earth belongs to the living".

Thanks professor Onuf. The course was simple Outstanding!!!

By Cheryl L D

Oct 11, 2015

As a former student of UVA, it was wonderful to see the place again, listen to some of the stories we heard around "grounds" -- no campus here -- back when I was a teenager. I have followed Jefferson's life story, but Professor Onuf still manages to tell me some things I didn't know. Well researched lectures.

By Dennis F S

Dec 8, 2016

Exciting presentation. Excellent portrial of the periodic changes in thinking of TJ with his rise, fall and revival. While a conroversial thinker he truly was a renaissance men that will inspire future generations. America would not be exceptional, nor even a free country, empowed by the people.

By joann w

Apr 17, 2020

Excellent and balanced presentations on Thomas Jefferson and his legacy. Jefferson would be proud that we were engaged in civic education in Prof Onuf’s class. Course was well organized. Tours of the University of Virginia and it’s relationship to Jeffersonian ideas was a plus.

By lcpmsrd@aol.com

Apr 9, 2020

A long time Jefferson enthusiast, I am grateful for this presentation of Jefferson's holistic ideas about natural rights and human nature and their application to politics and government. Mr. Onuf's perspective about Jefferson and education was especially compelling.

By Corinne S

Mar 27, 2016

Really interesting to get such a deep perspective on Jefferson. I had very little interest in him, even growing up in his home state of Virginia, but now I can't wait to learn more. This is a great course worth a fantastic instructor. Highly recommended!

By Amanda

Aug 27, 2017

Absolutely LOVED this class. Professor Onuf is passionate, realistic and on the money in terms of explaining to the masses who Jefferson was and what shaped his thought process through and post-revolution. HIGHLY enjoyed this class

By Kelly

Nov 27, 2015

Exceptional course! I would have enjoyed several more weeks. Dr. Onuf's style and methods in presenting the material made it possible to understand Jefferson in a way I have not understood him before. Wonderful teacher. Thank you.

By Philip S

May 26, 2021

I​ really enjoyed the course,a part of American History, I knew very little of prior to signing up, enjoyed all the reading material and the lectures were great. I cant wait to sign up for anorther course.Philip From England

By Dr. R T J

Nov 9, 2020

Very comprehensive review of his life and career. I also enjoyed the insights into the University of Virginia itself. This will also be helpful when I am teaching the Founding Documents in my Honors American Lit course.

By Laura H

Jul 10, 2020

I thought this was a very good overview of Jefferson. Supplemented by any of the numerous scholarly volumes on Jefferson's life, one might get a real sense of the character of the man within the context of his times.

By j. s

Nov 2, 2019

I knew little of Jefferson and his role in the founding of this country and the principles he set forth.

This was an excellent course that I would recommend to anyone.

The tours of the campus were a nice interjection.

By racheal h

Mar 4, 2019

This course helped me understand a man much admired for his vision and how he put it to work for America , with Democracy and Love . It goes along well with "The Written Constitution" Course that I took as well.

By Billie J

Sep 3, 2017

Great Course! Not being from here, this course helped me understand some fundamental differences between Canadian and American history; and the obvious differences in our cultures today.

By Destiny S

Jan 4, 2021

For anyone wanting to understand the fundamental principles upon which the United States was founded, it is essential to study the writings and philosophy of Thomas Jefferson.

By Reggie W

Dec 11, 2020

A fabulous in-depth analysis of what Mr. Jefferson thought with regards to government, slavery, education and religion. I learned a lot and appreciate Mr. Jefferson even more!

By Doug F

Feb 10, 2018

I enjoyed the course. Jefferson was a true revolutionary; this course details his leadership in bringing about many of the liberties we take for granted today.

By Hans G

Mar 25, 2016

I take my hat off for the passionate professor Onuf. It was a big pleasure to attend his lectures. They deepened my understanding of the American Revolution.

By Robert W

As a lover of history , especially the revolutionary period and an admirer of Thomas Jefferson I thought this class was excellence and informative.

By Dutch G

Apr 13, 2020

Excellent course. Very informative. Professor Onuf was an excellent, well informed ,and passionate teacher. Enjoyed his course immensely

By Nancy W O

Nov 1, 2019

I enjoyed this course very much. I wanted to learn more about Jefferson and how his beliefs relate to and influence today's democracy.

By Jonathan M M

Jun 2, 2020

Great class! Professor Onuf does an outstanding job of bringing the subject matter to life. Thomas Jefferson would be proud.

By Maxwell D

Sep 2, 2017

Good course with vital information about Mr. Jefferson. Lectures were well done and helped that they were split up at times.