Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second). Do you have technical problems? Write to us: coursera@hse.ru...

SG

Jan 20, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

MM

Sep 29, 2017

good course, I like the fact you can use a lot of languages for you programming exercises, the content is really helpful, I would like to have more indications from the grading system to save time.

276 - 300 of 1,055 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Prashant S

Oct 26, 2017

Very well organised series and all problems are explained with the help of good examples, you need basic programming understanding of functions and arrays to go through these lecture.

By Kirill S

Oct 02, 2017

This course gave an insight in the world of algorithms and taught me a number of different approaches for solving algorithmic problems (stress testing, for example). I discovered the fact that my programs didn't worked properly in all cases (I was pretty confident that they did) and realized that there are really wise solutions for many computation problems. Lastly, all course materials were explained in detail, so there were no unclear moments.

By Vlad_N

Jan 05, 2018

It's been an amazing journey! I've enjoyed, struggled through and finally managed to pass the test cases for all problems. It's been amazing. I've learned a lot. And moreover I've researched a lot while working at the problems, I've used books recommended in references, some books on Python algorithms, discussion forums and google and youtube, when I got really stuck. Every next week was more challenging for me than the previous one. Two of the most challenging problems for me were closest pair of points and longest common subsequence of 3 strings. But the rest weren't much easier ;)

I'd definitely recommend this course to anybody who's just starting out in programming and who wants to boost her/his problem solving skills.

I've been using Python3 and MacBook and I didn't have any problems with grader or submissions, except for wrong answers and time limit exceed, of course :)

Thanks to all instructors, I truly appreciate the amount of work you've done to put it all together! I'm very glad I've chosen this course as a starting point in learning algorithms and data structures. Thank you!

By Ganapathi N K

Jan 24, 2018

Fine

By HARSH S

Sep 10, 2017

Awesome. A must topic to cover.

By ZiJun

Dec 03, 2017

very good technology

By rahul a

Nov 30, 2017

it's a great start with this course

By Sam D

Aug 04, 2017

I really enjoy this course, and I can definitely say that this specialization is perfect for those who would like to learn programming from the base and use it in different languages

By Nikhil B

Nov 11, 2017

The short videos won't bore you out. The visualization of every algorithm with examples really helped me.

The assignments have been very helpful. Thank you

By Ryan E

Aug 25, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this introduction to algorithms. It covers measuring the efficiency of algorithms in general, and an introduction to the Greedy, Divide-and-Conquer, and Dynamic Programming approaches. It is a fun, and clear, with helpful hints and responsive mentors to be found in the discussion forums

By Prashant K

Oct 22, 2017

nice work

By Bothayna H

Oct 21, 2017

I have benefited a lot from this course. It helped me understand concepts in Algorithms that are new to me in a very efficient way. Also, the assignments and quizzes were very useful in helping me better understand the content of the course. Looking forward to completing the rest of the specialization!

By Piyush M

Dec 01, 2017

I got the introductory knowledge of algorithms also find various kind of interesting question that blow my mind and most interresting part is assignment

By Sharad D

Sep 11, 2017

This was really helpful. The level of questions and the quality of video tutorials were of top class. Worth a shot. Thank you Coursera.

By GAURAV C

Jul 20, 2017

This course helped me clear my algorithm concepts. The assignmenst at the end of each week, are very good. Concepts in the course were introduced briliantly with a comparison of different alogrithms and how each of them can solve a particular problem.

By Dmitrii V

Feb 05, 2018

I'm very greatfull to your team for this amazing course. I've enjoyed it much. I will recomend it to my collegues.

By Nikhil G

Oct 30, 2017

Quite useful course for competitive programmers.If you want to improve your rating in competitions tremendously then this course is definitely for you.

By Milan P

Nov 07, 2017

Great course! Learned a lot

By 郑德磊

Jun 20, 2018

great

By Arminas P P

Oct 19, 2017

Loved the material and the theoretical part was very clear

By uvalover

cool coding problems

By Yiping W

Aug 25, 2017

Great introductory course!

Very elegant instructions and extremely useful practice problems.

Would recommend every one enroll this course.