Back to Algorithmic Toolbox

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Algorithmic Toolbox by University of California San Diego

The course covers basic algorithmic techniques and ideas for computational problems arising frequently in practical applications: sorting and searching, divide and conquer, greedy algorithms, dynamic programming. We will learn a lot of theory: how to sort data and how it helps for searching; how to break a large problem into pieces and solve them recursively; when it makes sense to proceed greedily; how dynamic programming is used in genomic studies. You will practice solving computational problems, designing new algorithms, and implementing solutions efficiently (so that they run in less than a second). Do you have technical problems? Write to us: coursera@hse.ru...

SG

Jan 20, 2017

I liked the fact that the algorithms are not just the introductory searching and sorting algorithms. The assignments are fairly difficult (I have decent scripting experience), but not impossibly so.

MB

Mar 06, 2018

Cool course. Thank you! One suggestion about your book (Learning Algorithms Through Programming and Puzzle Solving): could you add some theory which would serve as a brief reminder before problems?

301 - 325 of 1,053 Reviews for Algorithmic Toolbox

By Jonathan G

May 22, 2016

So awesome. The challenges were great and I learned a lot!

By James B

Sep 17, 2016

I found the assignments challenging in the absolute best sense of the term, and therefore incredibly rewarding as well! Whenever I've gotten stuck, the answer was always in the course material somewhere, even if I didn't see it there at first. The discussion forums were extremely helpful, and I was astounded to see that that instructors were still actively monitoring the discussion forums and responding to student questions. I'm obviously not an expert in this field, but I've been an educator before, and my own impression of the assignments was that they were extremely well designed: it was impossible to pass them without knowing what you were doing, the tools to approach them were always found in the lectures, and the challenge problems pushed your knowledge even farther. I would recommend the specialization to everyone. Additionally, I noticed that the content aligns well with other DS&A syllabi I have seen in brick-and-mortar institutions, especially the first 3 or 4 courses. It's also a very nice luxury to be able to submit in Python. I have certainly learned a great deal.

By Dmytro N

Sep 03, 2017

Extremely useful course! Have learned a lot new information about algorithms. Thank you.

By Saket V

May 17, 2016

Very good content and great professors, I like the short duration of lectures and more emphasis on assignments..

By Dennis S

Jun 10, 2016

Great course. The team is doing a great work improving it all the time and the grading system and lecture are really good as well.

By Kumar V

Jun 14, 2016

Great Course...especially for someone who doesn't have a CSE background but is immensely interested in learning it

By Mohamed M

Apr 22, 2016

That was such an informative course

By Kyle C

Jun 26, 2018

This was a pretty great first into to algorithms. Took me from essentially no formal experience to feeling pretty confident about where I go from here (CLRS, cracking the coding interview, etc). The only feedback I have for the instructors are: some of the lecturers don't have good english and it borders on impacting the comprehensibility of the course. Usually the subtitles fill in the gaps -- but in the latter half of the course these are often wrong as well. Fixing these would be a huge help! Thanks for creating such a useful resource.

By Gabriel M

Jun 23, 2017

Excelente curso

By Matheus R

Jun 18, 2018

I'm still in week 2, but so far I'm loving it. It's far more interesting and engaging than I thought it would be, and not as hard as I thought it would be. It requires some programming experience (a few months of practice and maybe a more advanced understanding of your programming language of choice will do) and the "mathy" way some algorithms are explained can be a little scary for who hasn't a good maths background (like me!) but don't let it scare you away. Everything is actually much simpler than it looks like and the only real demand is some patience and a willingness to find new ways to solve problems. Every time you an assignment right, you feel like you "leveled up" your problem solving skills a little bit. Totally worth it. Looking forward to the rest of the specialization.

By Andrii M

Dec 30, 2016

Thanks for this awesome course. It helped me a lot to improve my theoretical knowledge in building complex solutions based on different approaches.

By Bruno K

Apr 22, 2016

Indeed a very nice course to start learning about different kinds of algorithms.

By Nicolas M

Jan 14, 2018

It's not easy, but this is a great introduction to algorithms and data structures. I'm definitely going to follow more courses in this specialization. Thanks to the folks who put this course together and supported it!

By Jerzy M

Dec 02, 2017

This was fantastic journey inside world of algorithms

By XING D

Jun 06, 2016

great teaching and challenging problems

By Dhumil A

Aug 10, 2016

Very good course. Basic course for Computer Science graduates.

By keerti h

Jun 14, 2016

Clear explanation!

By Evgeny L

Dec 03, 2017

This was a great course, special thanks for well organized assignments.

By Manav S

Mar 31, 2016

Currently in my Week 2 of the Course and I have to say I absolutely enjoyed Week 1! My expectations are now even higher for week 2 and further. A great introduction to a critical topic and the best part was that I found myself completely involved to the course until I successfully submitted my assignment. Cheers!

By Ishaan K

Aug 28, 2017

Awesome course.Got to learn a lot of basic and daily use algorithms from it.

By Đình H