Back to An Introduction to American Law

Learner Reviews & Feedback for An Introduction to American Law by University of Pennsylvania

This course will give you a glimpse into six different areas of American law: Tort Law, Contract Law, Property, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, and Civil Procedure. You will gain insight into the complexities and dilemmas that arise from the application of law in different settings, and what is distinctive about American approaches....

AA

Sep 17, 2018

I enjoyed this course and it helped me to understand the basic parts of American Law. My only suggestion is to provide even more cases as examples to demonstrate the doctrines and statutes. Thank you.

AT

Apr 10, 2020

A great first step on understanding the basic principles of American Law, providing an insight into impact on the systems we encounter on a daily basis and how these systems have developed over time.

576 - 600 of 690 Reviews for An Introduction to American Law

Oct 04, 2015

great

By Hamdan M M A

Jan 26, 2020

Good

By Elya V

Jun 14, 2017

Cool

By samik c

May 16, 2017

good

By mitchell w

May 07, 2017

good

By Mohsen L G

Sep 21, 2016

good

By MOHD S H S

Jun 17, 2020

Nov 05, 2015

A

By Paul J M

Mar 31, 2016

A very interesting and well presented introduction to US law--even for those, like me, who are neither US citizens nor lawyers. The instructors manage to make some complex ideas simple to understand while not talking down to their students. Assessments were fairly straightforward but did cover the material fairly well.

The biggest weakness, in my view, was the discussion forums. As seems common in most courses on the new Coursera platform, the forums were fairly quiet. However, this was made worse by the apparent attitude of the course mentors who, whether intentionally or merely through their language limitations (neither of the most active mentors were native English speakers or US residents), seemed patronising and dismissive of entirely reasonable questions. Moreover, their input in ever thread served to stifle discussion between students; once they had given the 'correct' response any other input was entirely unwelcome.

I've never come across such apparently hostile 'mentoring' either online or in the traditional academic situations. For this reason alone I rate the course at a 4 rather than 5 star. Maybe later courses will have different mentors or the existing ones will improve their skills. If you can live without friendly and supportive forums then I unreservedly recommend the course.

By Mohammed A G

Jan 19, 2018

I found them in every week of the lecture trying to approve 2 points:

1- Why is our laws great

2- why is it different from other laws

which are mainly not the things I care about.

I care about how these laws work in general and maybe some of the interesting cases that happened.

Also I felt like the course wasn't really organized, like if we have a week to understand how that law connects to that law and how that law connects to the general map of laws (made up name)

But I felt that the things we studied wasn't really connecting to each other.

but anyway generally the course did it's job, and ironically I found the sixth week the most not boring one for some reason.

By ZEINA D S

Jun 13, 2017

Everything was good.

But I have two observations:

1 - Some of the lectures had a translation of the Arabic language and some doesn't contain, I wish I could find a translation in all lectures, which facilitates the process of study.

A. For the certificate:

I hope to send a copy by mail address to the student, because universities usually have a certain paper quality for certificates.

and many student look forward to keeping the certificates in frame as usual.

thanks for your cooperation

By Leung M L M

Sep 13, 2016

An introductory course that provides an overview to a few major aspects of American law, including contract, tort, constitution, property law. Important cases are incorporated to help illustrate fundamental legal concepts. I appreciate that the course puts some highlights in the comparison between the laws of American and laws of other common law jurisdictions, so even law students/legal practitioners from other countries could gain some insight.