Back to Applied Data Science Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Applied Data Science Capstone by IBM

This capstone project course will give you a taste of what data scientists go through in real life when working with data. You will learn about location data and different location data providers, such as Foursquare. You will learn how to make RESTful API calls to the Foursquare API to retrieve data about venues in different neighborhoods around the world. You will also learn how to be creative in situations where data are not readily available by scraping web data and parsing HTML code. You will utilize Python and its pandas library to manipulate data, which will help you refine your skills for exploring and analyzing data. Finally, you will be required to use the Folium library to great maps of geospatial data and to communicate your results and findings. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you will also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

LD

Oct 24, 2019

Its was great experience in completing the project using all skills that we learned in the course, thanks to coursera and IBM for giving me an opportunity to update my selft and also to test my skills

SG

Mar 04, 2020

Very good capstone project. Learnt lot of insights on how to represent data through out this course.\n\nVery good starting point for ""Data Science" field. I would definitely recommend this course.

401 - 425 of 504 Reviews for Applied Data Science Capstone

By iyyanar

Jan 03, 2020

Good

By Manea S I

Sep 25, 2019

nice

By Prabhu M

Sep 17, 2019

good

By Gurnam S

Mar 04, 2019

Good

By Josh H

Jan 12, 2020

AAA

By Muhammad T A

Sep 30, 2019

By 林昀

Apr 03, 2020

By Ozgur U

Jul 03, 2020

I finished all he 9 courses in this specialisation. Therefore, this comment basically applies most of the 9 courses.

The video contents and the practice exercises are very good and on point. Instructors are great. However, there are serious problems with the assessment mechanism and this is the reason why I am giving a 4 start.

If you work hard on the assignments, meaning that you study and research well to understand the code, you might end up getting a low score on assignments. This is because of peer-graded assignments. Your work might be graded by someone who doesn't understand the material as much as you do, or even someone who submitted a blank file just to see others' work. You rarely get feedback for the missing marks. As a simple example, I once submitted my work and received 4/11 with no feedback. I instantly re-submitted the same work and received 9/11 from another peer.

Another problem is that you get to see the rubric only after you submit. Some assignments are not clear on what the specific expectations are. The rubric must be clear before you submit the work. Even if you try to be flexible in your solution to address the vagueness, the peers may not show the same flexibility although you do the work properly.

And finally, the biggest issue.. Plagiarism! When I say plagiarism here, I mean copying someone else's work line by line all the way. It is utterly disgusting that it is more widespread than I initially thought. Such cases have been posted multiple times in the forum. I encountered at least 2 cases of plagiarism. The only thing you can do is to flag the submission, but obviously this doesn't stop anyone. What's worse is that those people who plagiarised someone else's work line by line get to peer-grade your own work.

Assessment section of these courses is a mess and has to be seriously re-evaluated. Peer graded assignments can be accepted to a certain extend but not for assignments that require hours and hours of our effort.

By Amy P

Jul 25, 2019

This is the final course in the IBM Data Science Certificate and it is primarily focused around a project of your choosing. First, you learn how to scrape data and use the Foursquare API, which is quite helpful as these skills are generally transferrable. Then you'll need to come up with an idea that is loosely related to location data in some way. You'll have several weeks to implement your idea and write a report and a blog post/presentation. The final project is a lot of work.

In my opinion, the grading system could be better. You rely on peer reviews to pass the course, but only one peer looks at your work. Multiple sets of eyes would be fairer and hopefully generate more feedback. The discussion forum aspect could also be improved to promote collaboration and not simply requests to "please review my submission".

All in all, a decent guided Capstone course. Be prepared to do a lot of work on your own as there is not a lot of structure or hand-holding. I am very proud to have completed a formal project/report that demonstrates how much I learned over the course of the IBM Data Science Certificate.

By surya m p

Apr 10, 2020

This course is excellent at teaching all the data science and machine learning skills from a practitioner's perspective. I would strongly recommend it to aspiring data science professionals. Other positives include free introduction to the IBM cloud platform.

Room for improvement include:

1. Improvement to reliability/availability of IBM Developer Skills Network (which was done towards the end of my course) or give it a miss (using IBM cloud platform instead) completely.

2. Assignments should be graded by instructors or through standardised testing. The current peer-graded system seems to be hit and miss. It is not ideal especially for such a long course.

By Dominic M L C L

There were quite a number of tools/apis in the course material that were no longer working, meaning they need to be updated and shows the course material has not been touched in quite some time. For absolute beginners this is problematic as they are not unsure where to search for solutions, and asking in the Discussion Forums does not always return an answer. Aside from that, I found the Capstone Project to indeed be challenging for the level of skills we have obtained from the course, but also figured it forces learners to really search and source for solutions similar to how the real world would force you to do so.

By Rafael T

Mar 21, 2020

The course is good. It makes you think on all the knowledge acquired during all other 8 courses and make you put in practice.

The only drawback in my opinion is that the course relies on an unreliable platform for Jupyter Notebooks. Several times I wanted to access my notebooks to continue with the course and got a lot "Bad gateway" problems and slow responses in general. It was frustrating because the best part of the course are on the notebooks.

By Jeff G

Jun 28, 2020

Overall, a very good value. Introduces new topics in Data Science well. Although the Capstone is suitably challenging, I still feel as though there must be a different format to help solidify the coding syntax for python pandas so that the learner doesn't have to rely so much on referencing StackOverflow or previous lessons. Those portions of the code remain a lot of cut and paste rather than truly building the knowledge base.

By Ioannis S

Apr 25, 2019

To whom it may concern,

the course overall is very targeted to useful tasks and knowledge. One thing that could be improved is the final project with perhaps several options that are more specifically defined than the current form of the project. I understand that this will encourage copycats to participate. Another thought would be an interaction with other peers.

Thank you for the consideration.

By Sven V

Mar 29, 2020

A good course but this last "Capstone" course takes a lot more time than is allocated. I had to look up many Python coding instructions and do a lot of research myself. I feel like the initial 8 courses do not prepare you sufficiently for the final assignment. I probably spent twice the hours allocated on this assignment but had a great feeling of accomplishment at the end.

By Brendan H

Jun 04, 2020

Some material was a bit too basic, and not all subjects were covered in enough detail for me to feel completely qualified to jump right into data science work professionally, but this was a fantastic series of courses to get familiar with data science concepts and workflows in Python. It's given me the tools and knowledge to continue learning more on my own.

By Adam J L J H

This course is great as they give you a guideline and teach you how to approach the project. I like how it was open-ended and you can decide on your own project scope so it's up to you on how in-depth you want to go. However, perhaps more help and guidance could be provided as open-ended projects means there's too much to explore on your own

By Joe M

Jul 08, 2020

If you are expecting a follow the leader style class where they go over a methodology and you follow behind, this is not your course. The teachers go over basic stuff in video and challenge you with much harder problems to make you go out and find answers on the internet and delve into you problem deeper.

By Rohit B

Mar 25, 2020

Very good course. There were some serious downtimes in the IBM Developer Skills network which delayed my progress significantly 5. I had to extend my course time by a month and the next month's fees kicked in. That said, it was a great experience doing this course and the professional certificate overall.

By Pedro F

Sep 13, 2019

Valuable course to know more about Foursquare API, but short in content (more focused on assigning a final project). Maybe more tools or even templates for reports and/or presentations would make it more useful.

By Brandon B

May 16, 2020

Overall a solid course. I wish there was a little more explanation of the code that was used but this capstone definitely pushed me to learn and get better. Thanks IBM and Coursera for the course!

By Siddharth J

Mar 24, 2019

Last week took me too much time, but that was my own laziness. The course is well designed and taught me a lot about data cleaning, and strict deadlines are also a good learning. Thank you.

By RAJA S R

Jun 07, 2020

Overall it was a good course. It could have been better is the support staff for the course were available answering questions. Some of the materials are outdated and needs to be updated.

By Mustafa A

Jul 05, 2019

The capstone project was not very identical to what is covered in the course. We are briefly taught Foliujm Library but at the end, it was our final project. This was a minus point.

By Nishant V

Apr 08, 2019

Overall this is a tough course, since it mainly involves building your own project with your idea and using the tools,technologies which we have learnt in previous courses.