Back to Applied Data Science Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Applied Data Science Capstone by IBM

This capstone project course will give you a taste of what data scientists go through in real life when working with data. You will learn about location data and different location data providers, such as Foursquare. You will learn how to make RESTful API calls to the Foursquare API to retrieve data about venues in different neighborhoods around the world. You will also learn how to be creative in situations where data are not readily available by scraping web data and parsing HTML code. You will utilize Python and its pandas library to manipulate data, which will help you refine your skills for exploring and analyzing data. Finally, you will be required to use the Folium library to great maps of geospatial data and to communicate your results and findings. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you will also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

LD
Oct 23, 2019

Its was great experience in completing the project using all skills that we learned in the course, thanks to coursera and IBM for giving me an opportunity to update my selft and also to test my skills

SG
Mar 3, 2020

Very good capstone project. Learnt lot of insights on how to represent data through out this course.\n\nVery good starting point for ""Data Science" field. I would definitely recommend this course.

551 - 575 of 678 Reviews for Applied Data Science Capstone

By Rafael T

Mar 21, 2020

The course is good. It makes you think on all the knowledge acquired during all other 8 courses and make you put in practice.

The only drawback in my opinion is that the course relies on an unreliable platform for Jupyter Notebooks. Several times I wanted to access my notebooks to continue with the course and got a lot "Bad gateway" problems and slow responses in general. It was frustrating because the best part of the course are on the notebooks.

By Jeffrey G

Jun 28, 2020

Overall, a very good value. Introduces new topics in Data Science well. Although the Capstone is suitably challenging, I still feel as though there must be a different format to help solidify the coding syntax for python pandas so that the learner doesn't have to rely so much on referencing StackOverflow or previous lessons. Those portions of the code remain a lot of cut and paste rather than truly building the knowledge base.

By Ioannis S

Apr 25, 2019

To whom it may concern,

the course overall is very targeted to useful tasks and knowledge. One thing that could be improved is the final project with perhaps several options that are more specifically defined than the current form of the project. I understand that this will encourage copycats to participate. Another thought would be an interaction with other peers.

Thank you for the consideration.

By Sven V

Mar 29, 2020

A good course but this last "Capstone" course takes a lot more time than is allocated. I had to look up many Python coding instructions and do a lot of research myself. I feel like the initial 8 courses do not prepare you sufficiently for the final assignment. I probably spent twice the hours allocated on this assignment but had a great feeling of accomplishment at the end.

By Brendan H

Jun 4, 2020

Some material was a bit too basic, and not all subjects were covered in enough detail for me to feel completely qualified to jump right into data science work professionally, but this was a fantastic series of courses to get familiar with data science concepts and workflows in Python. It's given me the tools and knowledge to continue learning more on my own.

By Adam J L J H

This course is great as they give you a guideline and teach you how to approach the project. I like how it was open-ended and you can decide on your own project scope so it's up to you on how in-depth you want to go. However, perhaps more help and guidance could be provided as open-ended projects means there's too much to explore on your own

By Joe M

Jul 7, 2020

If you are expecting a follow the leader style class where they go over a methodology and you follow behind, this is not your course. The teachers go over basic stuff in video and challenge you with much harder problems to make you go out and find answers on the internet and delve into you problem deeper.

By Rohit B

Mar 25, 2020

Very good course. There were some serious downtimes in the IBM Developer Skills network which delayed my progress significantly 5. I had to extend my course time by a month and the next month's fees kicked in. That said, it was a great experience doing this course and the professional certificate overall.

By Edward J

Aug 25, 2020

A real challenge! There were moments of frustration, particularly when libraries wouldn't work on different Jupyter notebooks. However, I have learnt so much. All the courses in this professional certificate have prepared me well... but there are also some very knowledgeable people in the data community.

By Nicholas F

Nov 24, 2020

I think that the geocoding and APIs need to be sorted out much better. You should not present students with location APIs, like google, that do not actually work, explain that they are available intermittently, then give them a csv file and call it good enough.

By Pedro F

Sep 13, 2019

Valuable course to know more about Foursquare API, but short in content (more focused on assigning a final project). Maybe more tools or even templates for reports and/or presentations would make it more useful.

By Jens G

Jan 27, 2021

Very good to tie everything together with a Capstone project.

However, I had a tough time with the limitations of the Fourthsquare APIs.

So as a suggestion, recommend to use another API in the labs/projects.

By Brandon B

May 15, 2020

Overall a solid course. I wish there was a little more explanation of the code that was used but this capstone definitely pushed me to learn and get better. Thanks IBM and Coursera for the course!

By William O

Aug 17, 2020

This course for me was very challenging, not only for the assessments but also because I introduced new tools to my study like APIs. I really appreciate the time and the knowledge you gave me.

By Siddharth J

Mar 24, 2019

Last week took me too much time, but that was my own laziness. The course is well designed and taught me a lot about data cleaning, and strict deadlines are also a good learning. Thank you.

By RAJA S R

Jun 7, 2020

Overall it was a good course. It could have been better is the support staff for the course were available answering questions. Some of the materials are outdated and needs to be updated.

By Ritvik S

Sep 28, 2020

Very in-depth and rewarding project - would be a little better if more specific guidance on what to exactly include in the notebook would be better. But overall very stimulating. Thanks!

By Giselle

Oct 10, 2020

The capstone project was difficult. I struggled to incorporate the concepts I learned throughout this training in the final project, however I don't have any statistics background .

By Mustafa A

Jul 5, 2019

The capstone project was not very identical to what is covered in the course. We are briefly taught Foliujm Library but at the end, it was our final project. This was a minus point.

By Nishant V

Apr 8, 2019

Overall this is a tough course, since it mainly involves building your own project with your idea and using the tools,technologies which we have learnt in previous courses.

By Sudarshan

Oct 4, 2020

Nice course. Gave me good understanding and insight of how Python can be used in Data Science and what are different solutions and approaches currently in use in industry.

By Joe A

Oct 3, 2020

I learn't a lot from this course. reinforced and needed to apply whatever I learn't in previous courses. Had to work on Python coding, pandas, Folium, Foursquare, etc.

By Petter W

Apr 13, 2020

Great course and project, I would have liked to get a bit more freedom in what API to use. But great to have a bigger project to work on as you learn most from that.

By Christian M N

Mar 17, 2020

Cours vraiment, permet à l'étudiant d'être dans une situation réelle et met l'accent sur la compréhension même des différentes tâche à travers le rapport à fournir.

By Nathalia P

Sep 5, 2020

The course has to be revised, it has a lot of notebook problems. The content is very good, but it was exhausting to make the activities and to finish it.