Back to Applied Data Science Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Applied Data Science Capstone by IBM

This capstone project course will give you a taste of what data scientists go through in real life when working with real datasets. You will assume the role of a Data Scientist working for a startup intending to compete with SpaceX, and in the process follow the Data Science methodology involving data collection, data wrangling, exploratory data analysis, data visualization, model development, model evaluation, and reporting your results to stakeholders. You are tasked with predicting if the first stage of the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will land successfully. SpaceX advertises Falcon 9 rocket launches on its website, with a cost of 62 million dollars; other providers cost upward of 165 million dollars each, much of the savings is because SpaceX can reuse the first stage. Therefore if you can accurately predict the likelihood of the first stage rocket landing successfully, you can determine the cost of a launch. With the help of your Data Science findings and models, the competing startup you have been hired by can make more informed bids against SpaceX for a rocket launch. This course is the final course in the IBM Data Science Professional Certificate as well as the Applied Data Science with Python Specialization. It is expected that you have completed all of the prior courses in the specialization/certificate before starting this one, as it requires the application of the knowledge and skills taught in those courses. In this course, there will not be too much new learning, and instead, the focus will be on hands-on work to demonstrate what you have learned in the previous courses. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you will also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course....

LD
Oct 23, 2019

Its was great experience in completing the project using all skills that we learned in the course, thanks to coursera and IBM for giving me an opportunity to update my selft and also to test my skills

SG
Mar 3, 2020

Very good capstone project. Learnt lot of insights on how to represent data through out this course.\n\nVery good starting point for ""Data Science" field. I would definitely recommend this course.

601 - 625 of 756 Reviews for Applied Data Science Capstone

By Dominic M L C L

There were quite a number of tools/apis in the course material that were no longer working, meaning they need to be updated and shows the course material has not been touched in quite some time. For absolute beginners this is problematic as they are not unsure where to search for solutions, and asking in the Discussion Forums does not always return an answer. Aside from that, I found the Capstone Project to indeed be challenging for the level of skills we have obtained from the course, but also figured it forces learners to really search and source for solutions similar to how the real world would force you to do so.

By Ruben G

Feb 28, 2021

This course has been a real challenge for me. I've spent many more hours than planned to complete assignments of week1 and 2. I don't know if that is because of the topic I chose or because of the problems I had with Watson.

In the middle of the course, Watson stopped working ("monthly capacity reached"?). After asking for help in the forum, I didn't get any until 10 days later (and, by the way, what I was expecting). I somehow managed to install Juyputerlab as an alternative solution, but to do it properly and being able to publish some data into Github added more complexity to the challenge.

By Barry P

Jan 5, 2021

I had higher hopes for this....The videos are excellent, the labs are pretty good. The problem with the labs is they will just dump the code in and expect you to know what it all means. I spent a lot of time googling what the code means for when I apply my own analysis. Begs the question of the value.

Lastly, the capstone was more of the same. A lot of digging on my part and not much help from the videos/labs. Also, many of the labs are outdated and you have to search the forums to find out something was deprecated and to use a new function. JUST UPDATE THE LAB!

By Rafael T

Mar 21, 2020

The course is good. It makes you think on all the knowledge acquired during all other 8 courses and make you put in practice.

The only drawback in my opinion is that the course relies on an unreliable platform for Jupyter Notebooks. Several times I wanted to access my notebooks to continue with the course and got a lot "Bad gateway" problems and slow responses in general. It was frustrating because the best part of the course are on the notebooks.

By Jeffrey G

Jun 28, 2020

Overall, a very good value. Introduces new topics in Data Science well. Although the Capstone is suitably challenging, I still feel as though there must be a different format to help solidify the coding syntax for python pandas so that the learner doesn't have to rely so much on referencing StackOverflow or previous lessons. Those portions of the code remain a lot of cut and paste rather than truly building the knowledge base.

By Ioannis S

Apr 25, 2019

To whom it may concern,

the course overall is very targeted to useful tasks and knowledge. One thing that could be improved is the final project with perhaps several options that are more specifically defined than the current form of the project. I understand that this will encourage copycats to participate. Another thought would be an interaction with other peers.

Thank you for the consideration.

By Sven V

Mar 29, 2020

A good course but this last "Capstone" course takes a lot more time than is allocated. I had to look up many Python coding instructions and do a lot of research myself. I feel like the initial 8 courses do not prepare you sufficiently for the final assignment. I probably spent twice the hours allocated on this assignment but had a great feeling of accomplishment at the end.

By Brendan H

Jun 4, 2020

Some material was a bit too basic, and not all subjects were covered in enough detail for me to feel completely qualified to jump right into data science work professionally, but this was a fantastic series of courses to get familiar with data science concepts and workflows in Python. It's given me the tools and knowledge to continue learning more on my own.

By Adam J L J H

This course is great as they give you a guideline and teach you how to approach the project. I like how it was open-ended and you can decide on your own project scope so it's up to you on how in-depth you want to go. However, perhaps more help and guidance could be provided as open-ended projects means there's too much to explore on your own

By Joe M

Jul 7, 2020

If you are expecting a follow the leader style class where they go over a methodology and you follow behind, this is not your course. The teachers go over basic stuff in video and challenge you with much harder problems to make you go out and find answers on the internet and delve into you problem deeper.

By Rohit B

Mar 25, 2020

Very good course. There were some serious downtimes in the IBM Developer Skills network which delayed my progress significantly 5. I had to extend my course time by a month and the next month's fees kicked in. That said, it was a great experience doing this course and the professional certificate overall.

By Edward J

Aug 25, 2020

A real challenge! There were moments of frustration, particularly when libraries wouldn't work on different Jupyter notebooks. However, I have learnt so much. All the courses in this professional certificate have prepared me well... but there are also some very knowledgeable people in the data community.

By Abe M

Oct 28, 2021

Some things need to be updated. Such and such is "Deprecated" errors, typo errors, and less and less thought put on in designing the exercises. I can feel the preparers dropping the ball towards the end of this specialization. Current visualization trends should be included like Tableau.

By Nicholas F

Nov 24, 2020

I think that the geocoding and APIs need to be sorted out much better. You should not present students with location APIs, like google, that do not actually work, explain that they are available intermittently, then give them a csv file and call it good enough.

By Pedro F

Sep 13, 2019

Valuable course to know more about Foursquare API, but short in content (more focused on assigning a final project). Maybe more tools or even templates for reports and/or presentations would make it more useful.

By Jens G

Jan 27, 2021

Very good to tie everything together with a Capstone project.

However, I had a tough time with the limitations of the Fourthsquare APIs.

So as a suggestion, recommend to use another API in the labs/projects.

By Brandon B

May 15, 2020

Overall a solid course. I wish there was a little more explanation of the code that was used but this capstone definitely pushed me to learn and get better. Thanks IBM and Coursera for the course!

By William O

Aug 17, 2020

This course for me was very challenging, not only for the assessments but also because I introduced new tools to my study like APIs. I really appreciate the time and the knowledge you gave me.

By Siddharth J

Mar 24, 2019

Last week took me too much time, but that was my own laziness. The course is well designed and taught me a lot about data cleaning, and strict deadlines are also a good learning. Thank you.

By RAJA S R

Jun 7, 2020

Overall it was a good course. It could have been better is the support staff for the course were available answering questions. Some of the materials are outdated and needs to be updated.

By Ritvik S

Sep 28, 2020

Very in-depth and rewarding project - would be a little better if more specific guidance on what to exactly include in the notebook would be better. But overall very stimulating. Thanks!

By Alexander P

Oct 23, 2021

A​fter some trouble, I was able to fix the issue with the ID identification... But nevertheless, the Certificate is not shown when using its link...

T​he Course, nevertheless, is great!

By Nam N

Sep 16, 2021

Good, but the last peer assignment, the report slides, that's so weary to do. It took me a week to do that boring task, I think they could make it more interesting with another way.

By Giselle

Oct 10, 2020

The capstone project was difficult. I struggled to incorporate the concepts I learned throughout this training in the final project, however I don't have any statistics background .

By Mustafa A

Jul 5, 2019

The capstone project was not very identical to what is covered in the course. We are briefly taught Foliujm Library but at the end, it was our final project. This was a minus point.