Back to Applied Data Science Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Applied Data Science Capstone by IBM

This capstone project course will give you a taste of what data scientists go through in real life when working with data. You will learn about location data and different location data providers, such as Foursquare. You will learn how to make RESTful API calls to the Foursquare API to retrieve data about venues in different neighborhoods around the world. You will also learn how to be creative in situations where data are not readily available by scraping web data and parsing HTML code. You will utilize Python and its pandas library to manipulate data, which will help you refine your skills for exploring and analyzing data. Finally, you will be required to use the Folium library to great maps of geospatial data and to communicate your results and findings. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you will also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

LD

Oct 24, 2019

Its was great experience in completing the project using all skills that we learned in the course, thanks to coursera and IBM for giving me an opportunity to update my selft and also to test my skills

SG

Mar 04, 2020

Very good capstone project. Learnt lot of insights on how to represent data through out this course.\n\nVery good starting point for ""Data Science" field. I would definitely recommend this course.

51 - 75 of 502 Reviews for Applied Data Science Capstone

By Pawel P

Nov 05, 2018

Some things were outdated and did not work properly for me.

Peer-graded assignments where one has to create a github repository is totally unnecessary.

By Alex Y

Aug 09, 2019

Did not like Foursquare and was obliged to use it to complete the course

By Hakki K

Jul 09, 2020

Hi,

I completed entire program and received the Professional Certificate. On the Coursera link of my certificate "3 weeks of study, 2-3 hours/week average per course" is written. This information is not correct at all, it takes approximately 3 times of that time on average! I informed Coursera about it but no correction was made. It should be corrected with "it takes approximately 19 hours study per course" or "Approx. 10 months to complete Suggested 4 hours/week for the Professional Certificate".

Here is the approximate duration for each course can be found one by one clicking the webpages of the courses in the professional certificate webpage: (*)

Course 1: approximately 9 hours to complete

Course 6: approximately 16 hours to complete

Course 7: approximately 16 hours to complete

Course 8: approximately 20 hours to complete

Course 9: approximately 47 hours to complete

This makes in total approximately 169 hours to complete the Professional Certificate. As there are 9 courses, each course takes approximately 19 hours (=169/9) to complete.

(*): https://www.coursera.org/professional-certificates/ibm-data-science?utm_source=gg&utm_medium=sem&campaignid=1876641588&utm_content=10-IBM-Data-Science-US&adgroupid=70740725700&device=c&keyword=ibm%20data%20science%20professional%20certificate%20coursera&matchtype=b&network=g&devicemodel=&adpostion=&creativeid=347453133242&hide_mobile_promo&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0Mb3BRCaARIsAPSNGpWPrZDik6-Ne30To7vg20jGReHOKi4AbvstRfSbFxqA-6ZMrPn1gDAaAiMGEALw_wcB

By Nik C

Jun 24, 2020

This course's content is out of date. Students have to rely on the posts of other students to work around issues with the course. This is a real shame as the other courses required to receive the certification are well maintained.

By mustansir D

Jun 07, 2020

This course is full of bugs (outdated) and lack of explanation for certain matter is seen in Discussion Forums.

By Olin H K

May 16, 2020

What a wild ride! The IBM Data Science Professional Certificate was my first exposure to coding and Data Science. The courses prior to the Capstone really do give you enough rope where you can do some cool stuff for the Capstone Project. Throughout the program, I learned where to go when I needed to teach myself something, while I was exposed to the basics.

I'm probably not normal, but I spent 40 or so hours on the capstone project itself. Lots of Frustration at times, but lots of fun as well and I was proud of what I was able to accomplish.

By Oritseweyinmi H A

Tough but ultimately very rewarding as you see your own data science project through from inception, to data pre-preprocessing, modelling and finally presenting. All in all, great course and a perfect way to round out an amazing specialization! Thank you IBM and thank you to all the course lecturers who contributed to make this high calibre program. This has given me the grounding and the confidence needed on my path towards being a data scientist.

By Aécio A T L

O curso em si é bom, porém pede conhecimentos que não são passados durante o programa, e isso é algo inesperado, porém todos que querem trabalhar como cientista de dados devem estar preparados para contornar e vencer desafios diariamente. Então vejo como positivo essa estratégia de solicitar algo fora do escopo do treinamento. Pra mim foi muito bom, tive oportunidade de aprender coisas novas o tempo todo.

By Anthony S

Mar 02, 2020

This course was challenging but rewarding. The setting up of the course was really quite frustrating but as everything continued I found myself incredibly engaged with what is going on. This course specialization was my first exposure to what are essentially programming skills and use of the Python language so it was really valuable to be able to produce a piece of work to demonstrate what I learned.

By Marceline C M

Thank you Coursera and IBM. I can now do statistical programming using different Python libraries, geospatial analysis using folium, notebook sharing via Github or IBM Cloud. Thank you for empowering me through sharpening my data management,manipulation,analysis and presentation skills. Certainly, the IBM Data Science Capstone has been one of the most worthwhile things I've done in 2020.

By Srinivas M B

May 13, 2019

This Course is excellent and it gives Data Science,Methodology,python programming,Machine learning algorithims,Labs Excercises,Assignments and finally Capstone Project is worth to gain very good skills and knowledge.With this course I gained very strong skills and am now very confident in this Data Scientist field. Thank You Coursera and IBM for this course.

By Hari K G

Sep 12, 2019

This is wonderful platform for enthusiastic Data Scientists aspirants to learn sophisticated empirical analysis to understand and make predictions about complex systems. Demonstrated methods and tooling from probability and statistics, mathematics, and computer science and primarily focus on extracting insights from data.

ThankYou

Hari Kumar G

By Mathang P

Apr 28, 2020

This is an excellent course. I had learnt the real-world applications of foursquare API and how we can find out the restaurants, coffee shops, shopping malls etc. within a particular neighbourhood and how to cluster them. I am completely satisfied with the course and content is of very good quality and the lab sessions are excellent too!

By Abhishek S

Oct 21, 2019

Great Specialization. I thank the whole team of IBM and Coursera for providing me this valuable knowledge. This specialization is my first stepping stone towards my aim of becoming a Data Scientist.

Also, I would love to convey thanks to Coursera for this wonderful Financial aid program, only because of which I completed this course.

By Kalirajan N

May 15, 2020

The capstone project lets the learner to apply their Data Science skills learned through out the course. All the assignments are peer graded. It is good in one sense, however periodical review from the course admins might make the course grades more authentic and not left to the mercy of the peer reviewers.

By Tareq A

Apr 27, 2019

It's a high technical course includes new professional and market need tools. In addition to that it review the previous courses tools and used to build our final capstone project.

Thank you, IBM, Thank you, Coursera, Thank you, all Instructors and students who participate in the discussion of courses forum.

By Yixuan Z

Jun 01, 2020

I really like the hands-on exercises in this course, very interesting. And the capstone project make me review all skills I've leart in this course. I hope I could become an volunteer TA for this Data Science course and contribute to our learner community. Thank you for providing this course!

By Agustin P S

Feb 13, 2020

I'm glad we get to choose the theme of our final project, because I had a lot of fun, and not having any templates or guides to follow really tests what you have learned until now.

This course can either be really fun or really boring, depending on what YOU choose as your final project.

By Levllyn R

Fantastic, excellently curated

For the capstone , Week 3 was challenging to use the imports for Beautiful Soup (spent a day here and did not figure it out) . As this is different on different platforms, suggest improving this part . Else I loved it.

By Folorunsho E

Oct 15, 2019

Quite a long series of lectures, but it's definitely worth every minute. I've come to grow from a rudimentary understanding of data science to a level where i can tackle moderately difficult exercises. It was a thralling learning experience for me.

By Sarah S

Jan 09, 2019

Completing this course has really opened a lot of avenues for me in the internship realm, I feel like I have experience with important concepts that open the doors to the places and jobs I want to go. This course was tricky, but worth it.

By Galib H K

Apr 10, 2019

The Capstone project was great. It helped me to get some hands-on experiment on data Science. Just one thing, the project should be more open and the restriction of using Foursquare API should not be there. Overall, great course really!

By Jafed E

Jul 06, 2019

By Prem V

This course is really helpful for me, it has given me complete idea about Datascience and lots of Hands on exercise, given me lot of confidence to handle real life data problem alone and bring out useful insights out of it. Thank you

By William B L

May 17, 2019

i have learned a great deal about the tools, methodology, and procedures of data science over the course of these classes. All of this will be critical to building a new career. This course has really empowered my curiosity.