Back to Applied Data Science Capstone

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Applied Data Science Capstone by IBM

This capstone project course will give you a taste of what data scientists go through in real life when working with real datasets. You will assume the role of a Data Scientist working for a startup intending to compete with SpaceX, and in the process follow the Data Science methodology involving data collection, data wrangling, exploratory data analysis, data visualization, model development, model evaluation, and reporting your results to stakeholders. You are tasked with predicting if the first stage of the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will land successfully. SpaceX advertises Falcon 9 rocket launches on its website, with a cost of 62 million dollars; other providers cost upward of 165 million dollars each, much of the savings is because SpaceX can reuse the first stage. Therefore if you can accurately predict the likelihood of the first stage rocket landing successfully, you can determine the cost of a launch. With the help of your Data Science findings and models, the competing startup you have been hired by can make more informed bids against SpaceX for a rocket launch. This course is the final course in the IBM Data Science Professional Certificate as well as the Applied Data Science with Python Specialization. It is expected that you have completed all of the prior courses in the specialization/certificate before starting this one, as it requires the application of the knowledge and skills taught in those courses. In this course, there will not be too much new learning, and instead, the focus will be on hands-on work to demonstrate what you have learned in the previous courses. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you will also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course....

LD
Oct 23, 2019

Its was great experience in completing the project using all skills that we learned in the course, thanks to coursera and IBM for giving me an opportunity to update my selft and also to test my skills

SG
Mar 3, 2020

Very good capstone project. Learnt lot of insights on how to represent data through out this course.\n\nVery good starting point for ""Data Science" field. I would definitely recommend this course.

576 - 600 of 741 Reviews for Applied Data Science Capstone

By Shalini S

Sep 13, 2020

Good

By VISHNU T B

Jun 28, 2020

Good

By SOUMYAJIT D

Jun 7, 2020

good

By A S R

good

By Naveen S P

BEST

By ARIJIT K

Apr 28, 2020

good

By Ashneel k

Mar 9, 2020

good

By iyyanar

Jan 3, 2020

Good

By Manea S I

Sep 25, 2019

nice

By Prabhu M

Sep 17, 2019

good

By Gurnam S

Mar 4, 2019

Good

By Josh H

Jan 12, 2020

By 林昀

Apr 3, 2020

By Amy P

Jul 25, 2019

This is the final course in the IBM Data Science Certificate and it is primarily focused around a project of your choosing. First, you learn how to scrape data and use the Foursquare API, which is quite helpful as these skills are generally transferrable. Then you'll need to come up with an idea that is loosely related to location data in some way. You'll have several weeks to implement your idea and write a report and a blog post/presentation. The final project is a lot of work.

In my opinion, the grading system could be better. You rely on peer reviews to pass the course, but only one peer looks at your work. Multiple sets of eyes would be fairer and hopefully generate more feedback. The discussion forum aspect could also be improved to promote collaboration and not simply requests to "please review my submission".

All in all, a decent guided Capstone course. Be prepared to do a lot of work on your own as there is not a lot of structure or hand-holding. I am very proud to have completed a formal project/report that demonstrates how much I learned over the course of the IBM Data Science Certificate.

By surya m p

Apr 10, 2020

This course is excellent at teaching all the data science and machine learning skills from a practitioner's perspective. I would strongly recommend it to aspiring data science professionals. Other positives include free introduction to the IBM cloud platform.

Room for improvement include:

1. Improvement to reliability/availability of IBM Developer Skills Network (which was done towards the end of my course) or give it a miss (using IBM cloud platform instead) completely.

2. Assignments should be graded by instructors or through standardised testing. The current peer-graded system seems to be hit and miss. It is not ideal especially for such a long course.

By Dominic M L C L

There were quite a number of tools/apis in the course material that were no longer working, meaning they need to be updated and shows the course material has not been touched in quite some time. For absolute beginners this is problematic as they are not unsure where to search for solutions, and asking in the Discussion Forums does not always return an answer. Aside from that, I found the Capstone Project to indeed be challenging for the level of skills we have obtained from the course, but also figured it forces learners to really search and source for solutions similar to how the real world would force you to do so.

By Ruben G

Feb 28, 2021

This course has been a real challenge for me. I've spent many more hours than planned to complete assignments of week1 and 2. I don't know if that is because of the topic I chose or because of the problems I had with Watson.

In the middle of the course, Watson stopped working ("monthly capacity reached"?). After asking for help in the forum, I didn't get any until 10 days later (and, by the way, what I was expecting). I somehow managed to install Juyputerlab as an alternative solution, but to do it properly and being able to publish some data into Github added more complexity to the challenge.

By Barry P

Jan 5, 2021

I had higher hopes for this....The videos are excellent, the labs are pretty good. The problem with the labs is they will just dump the code in and expect you to know what it all means. I spent a lot of time googling what the code means for when I apply my own analysis. Begs the question of the value.

Lastly, the capstone was more of the same. A lot of digging on my part and not much help from the videos/labs. Also, many of the labs are outdated and you have to search the forums to find out something was deprecated and to use a new function. JUST UPDATE THE LAB!

By Rafael T

Mar 21, 2020

The course is good. It makes you think on all the knowledge acquired during all other 8 courses and make you put in practice.

The only drawback in my opinion is that the course relies on an unreliable platform for Jupyter Notebooks. Several times I wanted to access my notebooks to continue with the course and got a lot "Bad gateway" problems and slow responses in general. It was frustrating because the best part of the course are on the notebooks.

By Jeffrey G

Jun 28, 2020

Overall, a very good value. Introduces new topics in Data Science well. Although the Capstone is suitably challenging, I still feel as though there must be a different format to help solidify the coding syntax for python pandas so that the learner doesn't have to rely so much on referencing StackOverflow or previous lessons. Those portions of the code remain a lot of cut and paste rather than truly building the knowledge base.

By Ioannis S

Apr 25, 2019

To whom it may concern,

the course overall is very targeted to useful tasks and knowledge. One thing that could be improved is the final project with perhaps several options that are more specifically defined than the current form of the project. I understand that this will encourage copycats to participate. Another thought would be an interaction with other peers.

Thank you for the consideration.

By Sven V

Mar 29, 2020

A good course but this last "Capstone" course takes a lot more time than is allocated. I had to look up many Python coding instructions and do a lot of research myself. I feel like the initial 8 courses do not prepare you sufficiently for the final assignment. I probably spent twice the hours allocated on this assignment but had a great feeling of accomplishment at the end.

By Brendan H

Jun 4, 2020

Some material was a bit too basic, and not all subjects were covered in enough detail for me to feel completely qualified to jump right into data science work professionally, but this was a fantastic series of courses to get familiar with data science concepts and workflows in Python. It's given me the tools and knowledge to continue learning more on my own.