Back to Assessment and Teaching of 21st Century Skills

Assessment and Teaching of 21st Century Skills, The University of Melbourne

About this Course

This MOOC is designed principally for practicing teachers who are wondering exactly how they can incorporate teaching and assessment of 21st century skills into their classrooms, labs or workshops. It will also be useful to trainee teachers, school leaders, teacher educators and curriculum and assessment specialists, providing them with an understanding of the challenges associated with teaching and assessment of 21st century skills. This course explains the social and cognitive skills that are known as 21st century skills. It reviews how they can be represented in the curriculum, in terms of developmental progressions. It also explores how teachers can recognise these skills in students, how the level of skill of a learner can be assessed, and then how learners can be supported to develop their skill. In this course we work through two detailed examples of 21st century skills. The first is collaborative problem solving, a 21st century skill which combines the capacities of collaboration, problem solving, critical thinking and communication. The second skill is a meta-cognitive skill of knowing how to learn in a MOOC. In each example, you will explore how to understand the nature of each skill from a teaching perspective, how to teach it, and how to assess it. These two examples show how any 21st century skill can be tackled in the classroom. The approach to teaching and assessment in this course derives from the application of a developmental, evidence-based, clinical approach to teaching practice. The course provides a mix of theory and practice, of thinking and doing, and opportunities to share ideas, experience and resources with other participants. Join Emeritus Professor Patrick Griffin and the team from the Assessment Research Centre, University of Melbourne in a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on the Assessment and Teaching of 21st Century Skills, hosted on Coursera....

By DV

Oct 06, 2016

An apt course for the 21st century schools & educators.\n\nThe instructors should be more interactive on twitter, after all that's what new learning is all about.\n\nKudos, the Aussie way!!

By KK

Nov 14, 2016

Let me heartily thank authors for the course. It was interesting and useful, and definitely I will use knowledge and experience from this course in my own practice.

19 Reviews

By Roman Tarasov

Feb 24, 2018

I liked the idea of CPS, and I'm glad I've learned it. But otherwise the course was pretty tedious, and almost all the information was hollow, and I couldn't help but think about the applause lights consept. So in my opinion it could be just one week of CPS, and nothing more.

By Mrs.K.E.Valarmathi

Feb 23, 2018

This course will really be an eye opener for incorporating 21st century skills in classroom teaching.

By Yaiba Miracle Matahari

Dec 19, 2017

Wonderful course

By nanang ardiansyah

Dec 07, 2017

I like it.

By sramasar@gmx.net

Oct 31, 2017

Very good! Thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend it to teachers.

By Riaan Visser

Oct 29, 2017

Very helpful. Hope to be able to apply many of these in my own teaching.

I would, however, have enjoyed to see more of the concepts in action - classroom.

By Omar Angulo

Oct 29, 2017

It is an excellent course. Thank you so much for all.

By Kristina Gandrud

Oct 28, 2017

I learned a lot in this course. It focuses on the 21st century skills of collaborative problem solving and knowing how to learn in a MOOC, which were two aspects of education research I had never explored. The assignment (developing a teaching activity to promote collaborative problem solving skills) was very engaging, and I found that overall the course was a good mix between theory and practice. The intended audience for the course is really classroom teachers, which I personally am not, but I still found it very interesting.

By Alexandre Andre dos Santos