Back to Autism Spectrum Disorder

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Autism Spectrum Disorder by University of California, Davis

Understanding the characteristics of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and their implications for behavior, learning and the ability to process information is critical for anyone working or interacting with those on the spectrum -- educators, clinicians, counselors, therapists, medical staff, family and employers. This course will give you a fundamental understanding of what ASD is, how it is diagnosed, the primary areas of impairment, and why prevalence is increasing. Examine the developmental and sensori-motor differences that may impact academic, play, social and self-help skills at different stages of life, including the transition to higher education and employment. Gain a clear understanding of how sensory regulation differs for individuals on the spectrum, and explore practical tools for identifying triggers and communicating feelings. Learn to use evidence-based practices to provide effective interventions and explore typical strengths and weaknesses of individuals on the spectrum in relation to identified impairments. The course culminates with a description of the ASD system of care, an overview of the National Standards Report studies and treatments, and an explanation of how evidence-based practices are established and implemented. Those seeking a more in-depth, instructor-led experience are encouraged to check out the Professional Concentration in Autism offered by UC Davis Extension: https://extension.ucdavis.edu/certificate-program/professional-concentration-autism-spectrum-disorders...

DR
Nov 22, 2020

Very rich in information and very organized and structured and is easy to follow as well. Gives you the opportunity to acquire new concepts and to be up to date in the field of ASD. Enjoyed it a lot!

AS
Sep 22, 2020

I thought that this course was very informative for being an overview of ASD. I know that there is so much to learn about Autism, but this course was a great starting block for learning about ASD.

51 - 75 of 524 Reviews for Autism Spectrum Disorder

By Rodrigo S S R

Jan 27, 2019

Really nice course. Good videos, clear and informative, in-video quizzes that help memorize the most important aspects in each lecture and indications of supplementary material. Also, very informative about how ASD is treated in general, and especially in California. The interviews with parents are amazing!

By Charles A M

Oct 26, 2019

My Name is Charles Meyer. I would like to recieve a certificate from the university itself. I have done courses through Coursera and on completion of the entire programme received the certificate from the said University (I dont mind paying for it to be shipped to me.

Kind regards, Charles (+27833766745)

By Lorena o c

Oct 12, 2020

Me ha gustado mucho este curso pues me dio una visión internacional del TEA, también me inspiro a seguir buscando practicas para implementar con mis alumnos/ pacientes.

Lo recomendaría mucho, además que prestan ayuda a quien no puede acceder a estas oportunidades que contribuyen profesionalmente.

By Trish D

Jun 24, 2018

I took this course as a refresher to make sure that I am up to date on the current EBP and diagnostic criteria. I liked the smooth delivery, the effective visual presentation, and the currency of the information. I would recommend this course both as an introduction to ASD and as a refresher.

By Ammu E A

Jan 31, 2018

Very informative for a beginner who wants to go further in this area and help individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Very encouraging and inspiring for a professional to know there are so many other professionals who strive for the same goal of making lives better for this population.

By Siti A

Jan 22, 2016

I had problems to understand better about ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) because my 3 year old daughter been diagnosed as Autism Spectrum Disorder. The doctor explain yet I still couldn't clearly understand about after learning this course I clearly understand what is ASD all about..

By Lesley R

Apr 10, 2019

I love the information that was given in this training. It helped me learn about how to see signs of autism and so much more! Everything was made easy to follow and understand. I'm so happy I took this and would recommend anyone wanting to get an outlook on Autism Spectrum Disorder.

By Dalia S

Jan 24, 2016

Amazing course. Helped me learn a lot. I think people around the world really need to understand autism in depth to truly relate to their peers suffering from it. We all know people with ASD and we need to be able to understand them in order to make them feel loved and integrated.

By VALIYAVETTLE S

Aug 18, 2020

Thank you Ms.Patrica Schetter.And also a big thanks to coursera for giving the opportunity. It was an amazing learning session. The course was structured in elaborate but also an easy to understand manner. Thanks for the great leaning session. Looking forward to more sessions.

By Roya A

Aug 24, 2019

This course was very clear, simple and practical designed to learn about Autism Spectrum Disorder. We get enough information about condition of the people who are struggling with Autism and how we can help them.

Thanks a lot Professor, for creating such a useful course. 🌹🙏🏻

By Namrata P

Sep 22, 2020

I JUST CAN'T EXPRESS HOW MUCH THIS COURSE HELP IN LEARNING ABOUT AUTISM AND ITS INTERVENTION. BEING AN OPTOMETRIST, OUR FOCUS ARE ALWAYS ON PATIENTS COGNITIVE AND BEHAVIORAL THERAPIES . IT SURELY GONNA HELP ME A LOT. THANK YOU EACH ONE OF YOU WHO MAKE THIS COURSE AVAILABLE.

By Connie S

Jun 6, 2017

Very useful, short and easy course which you can finish in two to three nights, with videos shoting the ASD children's activities in real life, plus interviews of their parents and ASD adults doing the sharings. Learn a lot and hope to pursue in a career to support ASD.

By Allison K S

Oct 29, 2016

Very informative. I teach high school and am seeing more and more students mainstreamed with ASD. For some, it works out, for others it does not. Clearly, a case by case experience. I appreciate being able to take this course online and deepen my understanding of ASD.

By Asrar T

Sep 19, 2019

ASD as a neurodevelopmental disorder remains undiscovered among mass people & also healthcare professionals. Early recognition of symptoms followed by early intervention is necessary for better outcome. Throughout the course it gives an overview about this message.

By Bonnie P

Sep 24, 2019

Excellent course for anyone wanting to learn about Autism. I am the parent of two ASD children and also a mental health professional. Even though I have been actively dealing with ASD for over 10 years I still learned some useful things in this course. Well done.

By Jude L

Feb 7, 2017

This course was extremely informative. It helped me to understand Autism and corrected all my preconceived notions. With a better understanding of who they are, I am less fearful of them and more willing to interact with them. I am so grateful for this course.

By Karin C

Jul 24, 2016

This course is a great guide for mental health professionals but everyone can take it. I really enjoyed it and I will continue visiting the recommended websites! It would be awesome a second part about Established Interventions.

Thank you and all the best!

By Mussie M W

May 6, 2020

I enjoyed learning Autism Spectrum Disorder very much. The course materials were very applicable to absorb. Also the questions which appear in the middle of a video lesson were very helpful in understanding and memorizing the lessons. Thank you very much!

By Santiago M Q

Jul 15, 2020

muy buen curso, bien planteado desde prácticamente algo que no es tan profundo sobre lo que se debe saber sobre el espectro autista y agregando qué es bueno que después de culminado el curso en la oportunidad de poder seguir especializándose en este tema

By Sahiba C

Jun 2, 2020

This course has been so helpful in providing me with an in-depth understanding of what Austism Spectrum Disorder really is, how to identify children with ASD, what are their strengths and weaknesses , and so much more. It was a great learning experience.

By Helena B

Sep 12, 2017

This course is an eye opener and insightful to the Autism Spectrum Disorder. It has made me appreciate the needs of those on the spectrum. The course has made me realized that Autism is not a death sentence but early intervention can turn things around.

By Darlene O

Jun 19, 2017

This was a well organized set of lessons about autism spectrum disorder. I enjoyed every minute of the instruction. I wish the course was longer and included work with intervention strategies according to age of the individuals we are working with.

By Gwyneth P

Sep 3, 2020

This course has opened my eyes into reality in a world of those who have Autism and it has expand my knowledge and made me realize that what I have known was only the surface. Now I can Share my knowledge and understand them more than I did before.

By Jennifer W

Mar 3, 2017

Taking this course has helped me gain greater insight into what kind of things I can do as a teacher to support learns with ASD. I feel that I will make better choices as an educator to create a more inclusive classroom environment in the future.

By Thiago L D

Jun 17, 2020

It is an excellent opportunity to learn more about ASD, with a variety of materials from excellent professionals and fantastic families. I do lectures about autism in Brazil and I am sure that this course has contributed to my work to be better.