Back to Autism Spectrum Disorder

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Autism Spectrum Disorder by University of California, Davis

Understanding the characteristics of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and their implications for behavior, learning and the ability to process information is critical for anyone working or interacting with those on the spectrum -- educators, clinicians, counselors, therapists, medical staff, family and employers. This course will give you a fundamental understanding of what ASD is, how it is diagnosed, the primary areas of impairment, and why prevalence is increasing. Examine the developmental and sensori-motor differences that may impact academic, play, social and self-help skills at different stages of life, including the transition to higher education and employment. Gain a clear understanding of how sensory regulation differs for individuals on the spectrum, and explore practical tools for identifying triggers and communicating feelings. Learn to use evidence-based practices to provide effective interventions and explore typical strengths and weaknesses of individuals on the spectrum in relation to identified impairments. The course culminates with a description of the ASD system of care, an overview of the National Standards Report studies and treatments, and an explanation of how evidence-based practices are established and implemented. Those seeking a more in-depth, instructor-led experience are encouraged to check out the Professional Concentration in Autism offered by UC Davis Extension: https://extension.ucdavis.edu/certificate-program/professional-concentration-autism-spectrum-disorders...

DR
Nov 22, 2020

Very rich in information and very organized and structured and is easy to follow as well. Gives you the opportunity to acquire new concepts and to be up to date in the field of ASD. Enjoyed it a lot!

AS
Sep 22, 2020

I thought that this course was very informative for being an overview of ASD. I know that there is so much to learn about Autism, but this course was a great starting block for learning about ASD.

76 - 100 of 526 Reviews for Autism Spectrum Disorder

By Thiago L D

Jun 17, 2020

It is an excellent opportunity to learn more about ASD, with a variety of materials from excellent professionals and fantastic families. I do lectures about autism in Brazil and I am sure that this course has contributed to my work to be better.

By Cristina G

Apr 30, 2020

As this is a topic that we barely see in our degree, it's been such an enriching experience. I've gained more knowledge and a better understading about ASD. And what can professionals do to help them overcome future obstacles in their lifes.

By Tatum S

Sep 14, 2020

Great course to learn more about Autism Spectrum Disorder. Also provided great resources to learn more such as Autism Navigator where you can see videos of children diagnosed with ASD where they tell you which telltale signs are prevalent.

By Yi S C

Jul 27, 2017

Fantastically insightful and thorough course about the fundamentals of Autism Spectrum Disorder. This was a great resource platform for parents of children affected by autism, and professionals who are still in training such as myself.

By jessica

Este curso me ayudo mucho en mi formación. Tiene información muy completa acerca del Trastorno del Espectro Autista la cual nos indica y nos da orientaciones para realizar un trabajo acorde a las necesidades de nuestros estudiantes.

By Mulki G K

Apr 25, 2020

A comprehensive, informative and detailed course which is easy to understand at the same time. The presentation is also excellent along with videos and interviews that supplement the information and help in grasping of knowledge.

By Rebecca D W

Feb 17, 2020

Took this course because I have a cousin on the spectrum who was misdiagnosed as ADHD until he was 35. I believed for at least 10 years before that that that he was autistic. This was incredibly informative. Highly recommend.

By Padam k b

Nov 15, 2017

Very knowledgeable not overloaded and too much theory is not added which really help me to understand about ASD. I find very useful and effective lessons. Design of this course is beautiful.

Thanks a lot UC Davis and Coursera

By Adolfo G

Aug 27, 2020

The course was an overview of ASD, but very complete and at to the point. I enjoyed every minute watching not only the lectures but interviews with professionals, parents with children with ASD, and some people with autism.

By Kathy L

Jul 24, 2016

This course was wonderful! It gives a comprehensive overview of autism for both family and professionals, and gives the student additional information on the UC Davis Mind Institute and the educational opportunities there.

By Sergio H S

Jan 25, 2016

More than helpful. Highly recommended if you're interested in learning more about ASD. Quite useful in terms of understanding people on the ASD. Quite convinient in terms on learning how to interact with people on the ASD.

By Andreia R

Oct 13, 2016

Thank you for the knowledge that the course gives all concerned.Congratulations to the whole team involved in this great work. And thank you to everyone who shared their experiences and enriched the content of the course.

By Kelli S

May 20, 2016

I am an Autistic adult and I took this class so I can understand myself and others on the Spectrum. This is a great class to take if you want to know about Autism. I learned a lot of things that I didn't already know.

By Cristina V

May 13, 2020

I have never enjoyed so much learning something, as I have done it in this course.

Thank you so much for this great opportunity and definitely will continue learning and using coursera as a nr.1 learning tool.

By Gisele E d A B S

Jan 4, 2017

I learned a lot of important information that will help me deal with my child, of which I highlight: recognize characteristics of ASD; Strengths and weaknesses; Types of interventions for the treatment of ASD.

By Raíssa V D

Sep 7, 2020

Curso excepcional! Com conceitos básicos, até avançados sobre o assunto! Inclui ferramentas para identificação do espectro autista e para aprendizagem/aperfeiçoamento nas práticas de intervenção! Gostei muito

By Aida M C C

Jul 11, 2020

Excellent course for parents or family members of persons with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and professionals who wish to learn in a general way about the characteristics and interventions of this disorder.

By Melinda A

Sep 30, 2020

I took this course for personal reasons, my son has Austism. He is now 28 years old but I really wish I had the knowledge I learned in this course many years ago. It was extremely educational and insightful.

By Iñaki L R

Jun 28, 2020

My favorite course in Coursera! Easy to understand, really informative, even for me, that I am not a native English speaker. I can't be more happy of being part of this wonderful course! THANK YOU, UC DAVIS!

By Rosann R

Feb 10, 2019

Easy to navigate. Videos and readings were helpful and informative. I appreciated the real life examples given throughout. One critique was that sometimes the data tables were blurry and difficult to read.

By Polina S

Jul 3, 2020

As a pediatric neurologist, I got to understand my ASD patients much better now and I hope that I will be able to help them and their parrents to better deal with their condition. Thank you for this course!

By Ania K

May 11, 2018

What a great overview of what ASD is, thank you for this course! Knowing about the "epidemics" and 1/68 having ASD, I think every educator should take this course to open up their minds for differences.

By Jose F d G F

Jul 18, 2020

Very informative and the excerpts from researchers from the UC Davis Mind Institute was helpful in giving me an insight into the kind of research being done there and the interventions being developed.

By Dr. D D

Mar 11, 2017

An introductory course for Autism Spectrum Disorders. Useful course. Introduces you to evidence based interventions and modules that could further enhance your knowledge and understanding in the field.

By Dgenie R