Back to Introduction to Big Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Big Data by University of California San Diego

Interested in increasing your knowledge of the Big Data landscape? This course is for those new to data science and interested in understanding why the Big Data Era has come to be. It is for those who want to become conversant with the terminology and the core concepts behind big data problems, applications, and systems. It is for those who want to start thinking about how Big Data might be useful in their business or career. It provides an introduction to one of the most common frameworks, Hadoop, that has made big data analysis easier and more accessible -- increasing the potential for data to transform our world! At the end of this course, you will be able to: * Describe the Big Data landscape including examples of real world big data problems including the three key sources of Big Data: people, organizations, and sensors. * Explain the V’s of Big Data (volume, velocity, variety, veracity, valence, and value) and why each impacts data collection, monitoring, storage, analysis and reporting. * Get value out of Big Data by using a 5-step process to structure your analysis. * Identify what are and what are not big data problems and be able to recast big data problems as data science questions. * Provide an explanation of the architectural components and programming models used for scalable big data analysis. * Summarize the features and value of core Hadoop stack components including the YARN resource and job management system, the HDFS file system and the MapReduce programming model. * Install and run a program using Hadoop! This course is for those new to data science. No prior programming experience is needed, although the ability to install applications and utilize a virtual machine is necessary to complete the hands-on assignments. Hardware Requirements: (A) Quad Core Processor (VT-x or AMD-V support recommended), 64-bit; (B) 8 GB RAM; (C) 20 GB disk free. How to find your hardware information: (Windows): Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties; (Mac): Open Overview by clicking on the Apple menu and clicking “About This Mac.” Most computers with 8 GB RAM purchased in the last 3 years will meet the minimum requirements.You will need a high speed internet connection because you will be downloading files up to 4 Gb in size. Software Requirements: This course relies on several open-source software tools, including Apache Hadoop. All required software can be downloaded and installed free of charge. Software requirements include: Windows 7+, Mac OS X 10.10+, Ubuntu 14.04+ or CentOS 6+ VirtualBox 5+....

HM

Sep 09, 2019

I love the course. It goes deep into the foundations, and then finishes up with an actual lab where you learn by practice. I greatly benefited from it and feel I have achieved a milestone in big data.

RG

Jul 14, 2017

First of all i would like to take this opportunity to thanks the instructors the course is well structured and explained the foundations with real world problems with easy to understand the concepts.

151 - 175 of 2,062 Reviews for Introduction to Big Data

By Clement F

Sep 24, 2017

The course is very well structured. It gives an overview the big data landscape with enough knowledge and material to explore and learn more. In short it is a very good foundation course.

By Ashwin S

Jun 22, 2017

This course provides really good insights about MapReduce paradigm and various exercises to understand the depth of the programming model. This is the best course about learning Big data.

By Chan S M

Jul 31, 2020

This was a nice introduction to the bits of data science and computer science. The quizzes were relatively enriching to do and I have learnt a quick and simple intro to big data. Yay! :)

By Sonia S

Dec 17, 2019

It's a wonderful experience with coursera. Thank you to all the team members. It definitely helps me in my advance study. Thank you once again accept my gratitude towards the whole team.

By Laura D Z

Jul 30, 2017

The course was well-paced and packed with relevant introductory information. I absolutely adored the summaries at the end of each video, they made the learning experience so much better.

By John M R M

Apr 11, 2020

This course is very good but needed to be more updated with current 2020 figures as more statistics provided are not up to date. In general, I am satisfied with the material in general.

By Rajib K

Apr 17, 2017

Excellent course..I had no idea about Big Data earlier and this course so far has helped me understand the fundamentals of big data really well. The exams, peer grading etc are amazing.

By Mahesh S

Oct 21, 2019

Concepts are taught using simple examples. Lecture are clear and concise. Illustrations are very good. Course Quiz really test our knowledge. Overall Good Course and well presented !!!

By Alejandra U M

Oct 19, 2020

It is an excellent course that, although it is introductory, allows you to know and learn the main features of big data and to understand very important aspects for professional life.

By Imtiaz A

Oct 17, 2020

It was very informative and I really updated my self. I would like and it is my wish to have complete all the courses regarding IT and any related to my knowledge to fillup my thirst.

By Mahesh M S

Jul 18, 2020

Excellent course for someone trying to understand what Big data is and what the applications of it are. There is also an introduction to data analysis in a concise but effective form.

By Lauro O

Jul 02, 2017

Excellent training. It gives you all the basic knowledge you need to get involved within all this new hype which is Big Data.

This training is intended for absolute beginners as I was.

By Clairton M

Mar 26, 2020

This course gives you strong fundamentals that are extremely important to Big Data subject. Although is an introductory course there is hands-on exercises, not only theory material.

By Peter R V A

Jul 22, 2017

This was an excellent course on introduction to Big Data. The videos were really useful. This being my course from coursera I'm looking forward to do more course here. Thanks a lot.

By Jason M

Aug 08, 2016

This course gave us very clear instruction what the basic ideas are about big data and the structure of Hadoop. It's very easy to understand even without any background knowledge.

By Tarik B

Dec 11, 2017

This was a very good course. The move pretty quickly through the necessary bits of information you need about each subject. This will definitely help me in conversations at work.

By Rahul T

Oct 28, 2017

Thank you so much for your sharing your great experience with us. This really helped me to learn a lot about Big Data. Real life examples and experiences are are just awesome. :)

By Satyendranath Y

Jul 16, 2017

This is the very good session where the trainers have been explain each and every aspect of BigData with real time and real life examples. I have learned a lot and enjoyed a lot.

By Quentin B

Oct 15, 2018

This course was a great opportunity to have an overview of what is the BigData and what does it use influence the businesses and our daily lives. Good job from the professors!

By Aldo C A M

Jun 29, 2020

So useful to better know the fundations of Big Data! I thought it was going to be only about theory but fortunately we did some stuff in the command line too and I loved that

By SHORAV V

May 06, 2020

This Course helps us to learn a variety of Course Content and we can also check that how much we can raise our level along with the knowledge. Thank you for this Opportunity.

By Pavnish K R

Oct 11, 2017

thanks coursera organization to recommended me this course. Before start this course i had no knowledge about the Big Data but now i have lot of knowledge about this course.

By ANIKET P

Sep 19, 2017

The mentors are really very good in teaching.i like to be a part of this free demo section and i know how much interesting facts that i am going to learn in another section.

By Yuqing Z

Sep 12, 2018

Great introductory course. It is great for people with absolutely no big data knowledge like me. It explains concepts clearly. Look forward to other courses in this series.

By Luis H

Sep 06, 2016

Good introductory course. The first lessons are slow so I recommend watching them on 2x speed. The last lesson (hands on) is better because it gives a real taste of hadoop