Back to Big History: Connecting Knowledge

Big History: Connecting Knowledge, Macquarie University

About this Course

We currently face unprecedented challenges on a global scale. These problems do not neatly fall into disciplines. They are complicated, complex, and connected. Join us on this epic journey of 13.8 billion years starting at the Big Bang and travelling through time all the way to the future. Discover the connections in our world, the power of collective learning, how our universe and our world has evolved from incredible simplicity to ever-increasing complexity. Experience our modern scientific origin story through Big History and discover the important links between past, current, and future events. You will find two different types of lectures. ‘Zooming In’ lectures from multiple specialists enable you to understand key concepts through the lens of different disciplines, whilst David Christian's ‘Big History Framework’ lectures provide the connective overview for a journey through eight thresholds of Big History....

By BG

Jan 07, 2016

Finally! A creation myth based on evidence and multiple scientific disciplines for all humans is here! The time for stories based on speculation and superstition for the chosen group is finally over.

By MS

Aug 01, 2017

Very informative, cross and inter-disciplinary course. Lot of effort is put into formulating and developing the course. Thanks for all the people who have contributed to run the course successfully.

223 Reviews

By aneli higham

Nov 27, 2018

By Dino Hsu

Nov 23, 2018

A rich set of videos and articles available to help you get familiar with the subject.

By Marina Ivanova

Nov 13, 2018

From the very beginning of this course I was excited. For some time now I wanted to bring my fragmentary knowledges to order. So my hopes were high. And, oh boy, I wasn’t disappointed. Not only I filled in the blanks but I learned so many new things. I would recommend Big History to anyone regardless of their job or field of interest. It’s very well structured and it’s the most advanced course I ever took on Coursera in terms of design and preparation. Lecturers are really engaged. Topics are numerous and fascinating. I could go on and on but the major point is that I enjoyed these six week a lot and that was a time well spent.

By Will Suttles

Sep 26, 2018

This course places you right in the midst of the whole universe without forgetting about your local environment.

By Blanka Golub Car

Sep 03, 2018

This is the most useful and comprehensive class I've ever taken, thank you!

By Kirsty Arnold

Aug 30, 2018

Really worthwhile. A great overview of the history of the universe and taste of the different disciplines involved.

By Colin Cooper

Aug 29, 2018

Excellent course.

By Jay Spencer

Aug 18, 2018

This is by far the most imaginative course I have ever been exposed to following a lifetime of classes at all levels of complexity.

By Melissa Hepburn

Aug 05, 2018

Fantastic course, well presented, informative, interesting and left me with many questions wanting to know more about our past, present and future!

By Изабела Шопова

Jun 28, 2018

Brilliant, engaging, packed with current scientific knowledge facts, easy to follow. All in all addictive.