Back to Big History: Connecting Knowledge

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Big History: Connecting Knowledge by Macquarie University

We currently face unprecedented challenges on a global scale. These problems do not neatly fall into disciplines. They are complicated, complex, and connected. Join us on this epic journey of 13.8 billion years starting at the Big Bang and travelling through time all the way to the future. Discover the connections in our world, the power of collective learning, how our universe and our world has evolved from incredible simplicity to ever-increasing complexity. Experience our modern scientific origin story through Big History and discover the important links between past, current, and future events. You will find two different types of lectures. ‘Zooming In’ lectures from multiple specialists enable you to understand key concepts through the lens of different disciplines, whilst David Christian's ‘Big History Framework’ lectures provide the connective overview for a journey through eight thresholds of Big History....

BG

Jan 07, 2016

Finally! A creation myth based on evidence and multiple scientific disciplines for all humans is here! The time for stories based on speculation and superstition for the chosen group is finally over.

MS

Aug 01, 2017

Very informative, cross and inter-disciplinary course. Lot of effort is put into formulating and developing the course. Thanks for all the people who have contributed to run the course successfully.

1 - 25 of 247 Reviews for Big History: Connecting Knowledge

By Marina I

Nov 13, 2018

From the very beginning of this course I was excited. For some time now I wanted to bring my fragmentary knowledges to order. So my hopes were high. And, oh boy, I wasn’t disappointed. Not only I filled in the blanks but I learned so many new things. I would recommend Big History to anyone regardless of their job or field of interest. It’s very well structured and it’s the most advanced course I ever took on Coursera in terms of design and preparation. Lecturers are really engaged. Topics are numerous and fascinating. I could go on and on but the major point is that I enjoyed these six week a lot and that was a time well spent.

By S K M M a a

Dec 18, 2018

This course is the best way to learn about our origin and our future.I recommend everyone to take this course.

By Tara G

Dec 29, 2018

An amazing course. Learned so much about cosmology!

By Gerardo B

Jan 25, 2019

Awesome

By David H

Jan 26, 2019

Brilliant and fascinating course. I will complete it one day.

Thanks, David, Christchurch, New Zealand

By James R B

Feb 02, 2019

Excellent course design and teaching. Professor Christian and the YouTube adjuncts play a central role in the course, but many disciplines are represented. This cosmology/cosmogony course is filled with information. The paper, while it might seem to be a hassle, is actually a good exercise in pulling the course ideas together over the journey from 13.8bya to the future.

By George I

Apr 04, 2019

Fantastic course which should be required of every high school student in the world. The true scope of "history" is far too limited and thus not understood. This course lays out the proper meaning of history. We can know history because we have discovered a lot of the facts in the past fifty years.

By Karon K

Jul 04, 2016

Thank You!

I have been waiting for a course like this for a very long time....

By Kousay a

Dec 22, 2015

Excellent course of history of our origin.

By Abelardo Q F J

Dec 17, 2015

A very pleasant narrative from our story from the Big Band to present days connecting many areas of knwoledeg from astrophysics to genetics, passing through geology, archeology, anthropology, ancient and modern history, economy amomg others.

By Cynthia K

Apr 06, 2016

Wonderful course. The resources are very useful - I spend more time going through those, than watching the videos. The timelines and glossaries are very helpful. Everything is very well done. It's also interesting to have the variety of instructors with different backgrounds. If I'd had a course like this when I was in high school or college, I might have become a geologist. Fascinating stuff.

By Abhijit B

May 08, 2016

Great course, fantastic presenters, smooth sailing and at the same time though inspiring.

By Bernie N

Jun 10, 2016

Excellent course in integrating all the 'ologies' that give insight into how it all came together from the Big Bang to the development of life to a vision of the future landscape of human existence.

Excellent presenters, the right level of subject matter content and an exceptional level of production quality.

A great job done by the entire staff and much appreciated.

By Bill G

Jan 07, 2016

By Daniel M

Oct 09, 2016

I would recommend this course for everyone.

Aug 09, 2016

An amazing course, everyone should try out!

By Steven R P

Jun 09, 2016

An excellent introduction to this fascinating new approach to history (and everything else).

By Matthew

Sep 28, 2016

fun

By Laura B

Jun 06, 2017

Great. Everyone should do it. It is, after all, the universe.

By Miriam P S

Jun 27, 2016

Excellent in all respects.

By Rohit A

Jan 08, 2016

Absolutely love this course. I would say this is the mother of all courses. It provides a very elegant framework to information and knowledge one may acquire. I am loving it. Apparently this course helped Bill Gates become a Polymath.

By Tracy P

Jun 02, 2016

An EXCELLENT multi-disciplinary course that provides a though-provoking overview of world history. The videos are interesting, the additional resources fascinating.

By Vladimir

Jun 27, 2017

Absolutely amazing course!

It's not only fun and intense, but a coherent story with facts conveyed in most interesting way. Allows to have a view of a BIG picture and even scale the view to a more local periods.

Thank you Creators! That is a great Journey! Thanks!

This is the rare course to return enjoy later again. And somehow, I'm sure I will.

By leslie l

May 04, 2016

This is a very simple course about complexity. I do a lot of rabbit holeing so found the lectures a good way to organize further reading and research on various topics. would recommend this class highly

By Anthony S

Nov 03, 2016

A fascintating approach to historical inquiry. I learnt a lot and enjoyed every minute!