Back to Big History: Connecting Knowledge

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Big History: Connecting Knowledge by Macquarie University

We currently face unprecedented challenges on a global scale. These problems do not neatly fall into disciplines. They are complicated, complex, and connected. Join us on this epic journey of 13.8 billion years starting at the Big Bang and travelling through time all the way to the future. Discover the connections in our world, the power of collective learning, how our universe and our world has evolved from incredible simplicity to ever-increasing complexity. Experience our modern scientific origin story through Big History and discover the important links between past, current, and future events. You will find two different types of lectures. ‘Zooming In’ lectures from multiple specialists enable you to understand key concepts through the lens of different disciplines, whilst David Christian's ‘Big History Framework’ lectures provide the connective overview for a journey through eight thresholds of Big History....

SA
Jul 1, 2020

I absolutely LOVED Big History! It's so interesting and insightful!! I highly recommend everyone to take this course, you will learn a lot about the world! Thank you Professor Christian and Baker!! :)

BG
Jan 6, 2016

Finally! A creation myth based on evidence and multiple scientific disciplines for all humans is here! The time for stories based on speculation and superstition for the chosen group is finally over.

26 - 50 of 382 Reviews for Big History: Connecting Knowledge

By Willemijn L

Apr 24, 2016

I loved every minute of this course. I only watched the video's because of lack of time, but really was sorry when reaching the end. Iit is packed full with (new) insights, very entertaining with excellent quality images, comments from the various lecturers that will make you think in a more balanced way about the world we live in.

I did not know about Big History and signed up out of curiosity. However, I believe it should be mandatory for everybody to get this kind of connection of various disciplines to understand more of what got us here.

Strongly recommended!

By David D

Sep 21, 2016

Totally enjoyable. The videos are professional, varied and so informative. Comparing the quiz to some others , I found they were better formulated and less ambiguous.

Personally I feel I learned an amazing amount in a short time span and bother the content and pace were stimulating! so bravo!

This is the type of general knowledge everyone should have but probably 90 % only have a rough, inaccurate or no awareness whatsoever. This could be run even at the school level, it could stimulate future scientists.

By Bill G

Jan 6, 2016

By Simon-Peter S

Jan 10, 2017

Well the course is reasonably well organized the material is in great detail exceeding what I would've thought the overview concept of big history would be. Other big history courses I've taken do not go into specific date and time detail, period by period But function more in terms of how preceding events may be causative for future events (more like a butterfly effect analysis over long periods of time).

If you are looking for more detailed specific history than this course is useful. If you are looking for more of the big history overview concept this may not be the best course for you.

By Bill T

Aug 23, 2016

With a grand title and grand introduction, I found the course very superficial and gained little additional insight form "Big History".

By Cristian M

Jun 14, 2020

The Big history story seems fascinating, as it provides a good summary of our current understanding about our origins – how were the stars and planets formed, and how did life on earth emerged – and gives us clues about the future evolution of humanity, and the future of life as we know it. It was interesting to learn about the role of transdisciplinarity in this story, and to think seriously on possible future scenarios of how the universe, stars, and life on earth will evolve, acknowledging at the same time that this approach still has many holes, as there are a lot of things that we don't understand. For example, we don't understand why the Big Bang happened? Or what is dark matter and dark energy, which together constitute more than 90% of all matter in the universe. This implies that the search for a better understanding of how to cope with the challenges we will face in the future will continue, challenges which become much more obvious in our post Covid19 world.

By Amit K P

Oct 29, 2020

Before taking the course I am so narrow minded about other disciplines of science, I am currently pursuing a Master’s degree in Physics and by far Physics and Math’s is only my favorite and essential subject. But by taking this course I realize that others subjects are important and interesting too. From this course I came cross Biology, chemistry, history, geography , Palaeontology, Archaeology and many more. I have came across these subjects through out this course and realize it’s a great thing to appreciate all type of science and arts not just focused on a subject without having any knowledge about other exiting subjects. To study and explore the Big History we in fact need to know about all of the mentioned subjects and have some knowledge every subject to know about our exitance in this universe.

By Shon O

Jun 11, 2020

This was my first online course and an amazing experience for me. As a linguist who teaches History of the English Language and history of the English-speaking countries I have got many fresh ideas for my lectures as well as interpreting my knowledge. One of them is introducing claim testers as means of developing critical thinking. I really discovered many things for myself. Had to revise my knowledge of physics and chemistry but I love the challenge! I express my gratitude to the creators of the course, the lecturers, the presenters and my fellow students who appreciated my efforts of writing my essay. The course is fantastic, well-structured, informative and challenging and I should say, essential for understanding our past, present and future. I highly recommend it.

By Norma G L A

Sep 1, 2020

In this course “Big History, connecting knowedge”, I became aware of learning reflection and the importance to be active in learning, in my personal search ,that make sense to give my live to my grandchildren, to my family, to my city,to our environment, our world, because we all are connected in a historical continuum, thus it is full of meaning and love to our Creator who made the stars, the Universe and my self 13.8 billion years ago, about Big Bang.

I also find from this course that we are star stuff, about the memories of my mother 91 years old some days before she died, she said- Lord Jesus told me when I die I will become a star-. Thank You to all the researchers, all professor all my classmates, also to Lucy in the Sky, makes me cry.

By Mark P

Big History: Connecting Knowledge is a fantastic course. Big History should be a required component of the modern education program. It offers a big perspective of past events and promotes and understanding and appreciation of the various fields of knowledge that help us understand the world around us. In light of the near-future challenges facing our world, this course has arrived just in time. It offers a valuable tool for understanding world education and culture. I am delighted that Dr. David Christian lead the wonderful team of teachers for this class. And of course, John and Hank Green were a special treat. Many thanks to Coursera - one of the great things to come from the internet.

By julika b

Sep 15, 2020

The most fun and challenge I have had with a subject in years. I am an eclectic thinker and this course provided me with the means, through critical thinking and exploring different sources, to gain a perspective that I do believe is life changing. I have entered a paradigm shift in my understanding of mankind's place in the universe and our collective responsibilities to the next generation. It is not platitudes to talk about caring for the earth and each other, it is a grave responsibility. We have come to far to mess this up. Thank you.

By F M

Sep 30, 2020

As having completed the Big History course, I learned from our world history starting 13.8 billion years ago. What a journey we have achieved, it’s impressive how complexity has emerged from the last billions of years. Now I have learned about our cosmic and human revolution. To emerge new things, we should take a look in the past. If you want to learn about this wonderful story, I highly recommend you doing this course. Believe me, you won’t regret it. Thank you very much Christian and Baker for creating this amazing course!

By Taryn W

Feb 27, 2016

This course is blowing my mind (in a good way). It has been a long time since I've felt the wonder of the world (and universe) of which I am a part. In addition, this course is expanding the language with which I can talk about and understand my environments (new and old). The information is well-organised and concise and the resources are a good blend of academic, creative, informative and fun and the lecturers are knowledgable and passionate. I hope this field floods the world's places of education.

By Armand V N

Sep 27, 2016

The discovery of David Christians approach, first by reading his "Maps of Time" and listening to some of his presentations on-line, then by attending this course was an eye-opener to me. I now try to explain the importance of the subject to as many people as I can. Not only adults or university students, but mid-level students as well deserve to be exposed to the view of Big History, It changes one's perceptions of the past and enhances one's apprehensions of the future.

By Terezinha M M

Oct 19, 2017

Este é o meu primeiro curso e gostei demais. Tive dificuldades porque não sou fluente em inglês. Para compreender a matéria, tive que traduzir tudo, mesmo assim valeu a pena. Por não saber, deixei de participar do forum, o que teria me ajudado ainda mais. Acredito que a troca de conhecimento ajuda muito os alunos a compreenderem e participarem dos cursos. O curso também cumpre uma metodologia que faz o aluno pensar, ao invés de oferecer respostas prontas. Muito bom!

By Carlos A P

Jul 26, 2016

The high quality of videos and content makes this course an outstanding, fantastic and entertainment MOOC course for everyone who wish to learn the big history that is hidding in the Universe. Thanks coursera and macquare University for let us access to this beatiful show of altruism and openness, both of you deserve not only a big five star but a great standing applasue. Congratulations great course.

All my best Coursera community,

Carlos Arturo Pimentel.

By Alice Z

Nov 22, 2015

They speak clearly, allowing differences of opinions without insulting beliefs, break each segment into the components parts and giving current information on each so that a student has sufficient information to decide - and enjoy the 'claim tests'.

I have taken coursera courses in each of the segments as well as having higher ed in some that are nice to get up-to-date - and all in one place - to begin to see what Alex Humboldt called the web of the world.

By Shubham B G

Feb 26, 2020

Great course because it provides critical thinking skills and broadens my understanding of past and current scientific theories. More importantly, it changed my perspective and approach to my life and studies. I am now more open-minded to new and challenging study/literal/life skills and concepts that I would not attempt before. I have become more confident within myself to accept challenging decisions and approach everything with a clear and open mind.

By Laura T

Jan 18, 2016

It was such a fascinating journey through time, knowledge, within myself and into the universe! I loved every moment of it and now I am touched because it's over. Nevertheless, I know Big History is in me, just as I am part of It (as small as, and apparently, insignificant one may seem) and I am full of gratitude towards the entire warm-hearted, generous, intelligent, very highly skilled and talented Big History team. Thank you very much indeed!

By Britty R T

Aug 11, 2020

Big History: Connecting Knowledge is an excellent course offered by coursera. The topic itself is an outstanding one which connects the history of universe, stars, planets, and mankind, by linking different disciplines. Special appreciation to the lectures, especially the chief instructor Professor David Christian and associate lecturer David Baker for providing this excellent topic in a simple and effective manner. Thanks to the entire team.

By Grace V

Sep 25, 2017

Intellectually thought provoking, as well as socially enlightening for all levels of understanding of the world. Highly recommend for high school students who are interested in expanding their prior, more narrow perception on history. It's interdisciplinary methodology allows for a significant increase in appreciation for how science, history and teleological studies interrelate, while the course is also still enjoyable.

By Robert S

May 9, 2017

Excellent course! This is a thorough presentation of a difficult subject with experts in the various fields explaining how their field (area of expertise) connects with or is dependent on other fields. Prior to this course I thought of history more in terms of written or archeological evidence. This course included astronomy, chemistry, biology, geology and other fields I would not ordinarily think of as history.

By Cynthia K

Apr 6, 2016

Wonderful course. The resources are very useful - I spend more time going through those, than watching the videos. The timelines and glossaries are very helpful. Everything is very well done. It's also interesting to have the variety of instructors with different backgrounds. If I'd had a course like this when I was in high school or college, I might have become a geologist. Fascinating stuff.

By Yazan B

Dec 18, 2019

"Big History: connecting knowledge" was my first online course to do, and you know that the first time is always specials, and honestly it significantly improved my point of view toward the universe, and without noticing after you completing the course you will see how you will get used to critical thinking, I real appreciate this work by Macquarie university and hoping to meet again in the future.

By Jess. H

Sep 21, 2019

This is a pretty though provoking course. It allows me to learn about history from a general view. My biggest gain from this course if understanding that everything, including lifes, or even the universe, will at some point come to an end. The course sort of forces me to face this reality, therefore make me think about how I'm going to do with the rest year of my life before it comes to the end.