Back to Big History: Connecting Knowledge

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Big History: Connecting Knowledge by Macquarie University

We currently face unprecedented challenges on a global scale. These problems do not neatly fall into disciplines. They are complicated, complex, and connected. Join us on this epic journey of 13.8 billion years starting at the Big Bang and travelling through time all the way to the future. Discover the connections in our world, the power of collective learning, how our universe and our world has evolved from incredible simplicity to ever-increasing complexity. Experience our modern scientific origin story through Big History and discover the important links between past, current, and future events. You will find two different types of lectures. ‘Zooming In’ lectures from multiple specialists enable you to understand key concepts through the lens of different disciplines, whilst David Christian's ‘Big History Framework’ lectures provide the connective overview for a journey through eight thresholds of Big History....

BG

Jan 07, 2016

Finally! A creation myth based on evidence and multiple scientific disciplines for all humans is here! The time for stories based on speculation and superstition for the chosen group is finally over.

MS

Aug 01, 2017

Very informative, cross and inter-disciplinary course. Lot of effort is put into formulating and developing the course. Thanks for all the people who have contributed to run the course successfully.

26 - 50 of 258 Reviews for Big History: Connecting Knowledge

By Clifford L B

Jul 16, 2016

this course combines theories and ideas from many different disciplines to produce a coherent picture of the world we live in today. The picture does appear to match the real world far better than what we see when just using a single discipline. It is joined up thinking

By farzaneh d d

Aug 18, 2016

very good..thank you

By Jim S

Dec 02, 2015

Excellent course, really well presented. Informative and enjoyable.

By Patricia K

Dec 09, 2015

A great survey of the last 13.8 billion years of our universe touching on the sciences--physics, chemistry, astronomy, geology all viewed through the lens of history. A thought-provoking overview that whets the appetite for more.

By Jiantao M

Feb 14, 2016

NICE

By Stephen C

Jun 27, 2016

The best Coursera course I've taken so far! A daring and entertaining stab at a theory of everything :)

Thanks!

By Nancy W

Jun 19, 2017

Really great course! This is a great way to look at multiple sciences and areas of knowledge, and Big History is a cool concept. Reminds me of the old show "Connections" that related things in unexpected ways.

By César A D S

Oct 26, 2015

At this moment, this course has been really good.

By Leela Y

Feb 12, 2016

I love how experts from a variety of different fields of studies participated in creating this course!

By Álvaro D O F

Nov 13, 2016

Wonderful course! It really should be taught in every school.

By Thomas P

Jul 31, 2017

Fantastic! Highly recommend.

By Nicholas K

Apr 11, 2016

Looks and sounds like a great course. Can't wait until the 28th March 2016 to start week 2. A bit annoyed with myself rushing quiz 1. I think one has to really pick all the meat off the bones of the information to get 100% (unless one is a Cosmologist - anyone got Stephen Hawking's phone number?)

Just finished week 2 and I am already giving this course five stars. A really-really-really top course, a sit up all night job. Still haven't found Stephen Hawking's phone number yet. He probably realises I'm looking for it, clever bloke and honorary Python that he is, and gone ex-directory. Can't say I blame him, I'd do the same if I found out I was looking for my number!

By Mariana C

Oct 15, 2016

I'm impress and very amazed, with this course. I'm just starting, but I have my first insights and connections to the things I've written and research before, to help people, and our enviroment as well, through science, and now, BIG HISTORY <3 love it...

By Katarzyna K

Jan 17, 2016

A sweeping journey throughout the story of everything - an overwhelming subject championed in a tractable way with both a mind-boggling and sobering message.

By Armand V N

Sep 27, 2016

The discovery of David Christians approach, first by reading his "Maps of Time" and listening to some of his presentations on-line, then by attending this course was an eye-opener to me. I now try to explain the importance of the subject to as many people as I can. Not only adults or university students, but mid-level students as well deserve to be exposed to the view of Big History, It changes one's perceptions of the past and enhances one's apprehensions of the future.

By Dot H

Feb 06, 2016

Excellent course! Profound interdisciplinary expedition from the beginnings of the Universe (since "the Big Bang" ) through the creation of galaxies, to our Sun, planets, beginnings of life on Earth, evolution of that life, major changes to earth resulting from activities of our unique species (humans), toward pondering what the near and distant future might hold. Using the concept of "Thresholds", the course aims to make sense of and connect major themes and trends as it traces the fingerprints of the unfolding of the cosmos - of which we as humans are an interconnected part.

By Richelle N E

Mar 15, 2016

Very nice! I like the variation and the montages of the video lectures very much. The variety really kept me enticed and paying attention throughout everything. This course would also be a perfect self-paced course. Interesting subject matter as well! Very important for everyone, to get a sense of where we are and where our lives fit into the bigger picture.

By David H

Feb 20, 2017

Quite comprehensive. Intriguing presentations.

By Renzo D V

Dec 22, 2016

Excellent and very well done.

By Darren G

Nov 25, 2015

Incredible course.

By Carlos A P

Jul 27, 2016

The high quality of videos and content makes this course an outstanding, fantastic and entertainment MOOC course for everyone who wish to learn the big history that is hidding in the Universe. Thanks coursera and macquare University for let us access to this beatiful show of altruism and openness, both of you deserve not only a big five star but a great standing applasue. Congratulations great course.

All my best Coursera community,

Carlos Arturo Pimentel.

By Gabriella

Jan 17, 2016

A well-taught, mind-expanding, perspective-altering course. Everything is presented in an interesting and understandable way, even complex topics such as cosmology and chemistry. I can't rate the Big History course highly enough - it has inspired me so much and I can't wait to keep learning.

By Danielle D

May 05, 2016

This course has taught me so much and is very detailed and in depth. I recommend this to anyone

By S M N H J

Sep 13, 2017

It's an amazing course. I took this course on account of curiosity. It change my whole way thinking about world. I learned so much and most importantly I learned how different subjects helped to change the world. I think everyone should take this course.

By Изабела Ш

Jun 28, 2018

Brilliant, engaging, packed with current scientific knowledge facts, easy to follow. All in all addictive.