Back to Big History: Connecting Knowledge

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Big History: Connecting Knowledge by Macquarie University

We currently face unprecedented challenges on a global scale. These problems do not neatly fall into disciplines. They are complicated, complex, and connected. Join us on this epic journey of 13.8 billion years starting at the Big Bang and travelling through time all the way to the future. Discover the connections in our world, the power of collective learning, how our universe and our world has evolved from incredible simplicity to ever-increasing complexity. Experience our modern scientific origin story through Big History and discover the important links between past, current, and future events. You will find two different types of lectures. ‘Zooming In’ lectures from multiple specialists enable you to understand key concepts through the lens of different disciplines, whilst David Christian's ‘Big History Framework’ lectures provide the connective overview for a journey through eight thresholds of Big History....

SA
Jul 1, 2020

I absolutely LOVED Big History! It's so interesting and insightful!! I highly recommend everyone to take this course, you will learn a lot about the world! Thank you Professor Christian and Baker!! :)

BG
Jan 6, 2016

Finally! A creation myth based on evidence and multiple scientific disciplines for all humans is here! The time for stories based on speculation and superstition for the chosen group is finally over.

76 - 100 of 383 Reviews for Big History: Connecting Knowledge

By Mariana C

Oct 15, 2016

I'm impress and very amazed, with this course. I'm just starting, but I have my first insights and connections to the things I've written and research before, to help people, and our enviroment as well, through science, and now, BIG HISTORY <3 love it...

By Pamela H

Sep 3, 2020

Best course I have ever done! It has enabled me to become scientifically literate in a short space of time. It has provided me with a scientific world view and given me the tools to make informed choices about how to face the challenges of the future.

By Michael A S H

Nov 22, 2017

This course is engaging, informative and enlightening. It will broaden your views of yourself, the cosmos, humans, the environment and the world on a whole. I highly recommend anyone to enrol in this journey of discovery known as Big History!

By Abelardo Q F J

Dec 17, 2015

A very pleasant narrative from our story from the Big Band to present days connecting many areas of knwoledeg from astrophysics to genetics, passing through geology, archeology, anthropology, ancient and modern history, economy amomg others.

By bill w

Oct 10, 2019

Really enjoyed the course. In particular, the concepts of increasing complexity, thresholds and Goldilocks conditions and the knowledge testing tools gave me a very useful framework for organising my knowledge and for further learning.

By Rohit A

Jan 8, 2016

Absolutely love this course. I would say this is the mother of all courses. It provides a very elegant framework to information and knowledge one may acquire. I am loving it. Apparently this course helped Bill Gates become a Polymath.

By Patricia K

Dec 8, 2015

A great survey of the last 13.8 billion years of our universe touching on the sciences--physics, chemistry, astronomy, geology all viewed through the lens of history. A thought-provoking overview that whets the appetite for more.

By NJriki

Jul 19, 2019

One of the best courses I've ever studied. The trans-disciplinary approach is amazing. It simplifies things, yet it opens windows to other fields. I now know more about universe, about life and most importantly about myself.

By Johannes G A B

Apr 11, 2020

Nice course to have a decent understanding of the history of the universe up until modern societies. Does a nice job at linking events in history and explaining the importance of the big picture. David Christian is great.

By Angelina W

Jan 5, 2016

This course covers a lot of complex material in a concise and approachable manner. It is possible to understand the content (and most importantly learn about the subject) without having a scientific background.

By Megan A C

Nov 23, 2020

Great course! I was provided wide knowledge from the theories of the origin of life to how life will be wiped on Earth and on the Universe. It gives very specific intelligences and insights from professionals.

By Prateek S

Aug 22, 2017

Accessible to everyone.

The integration of various Sciences and History.

Offers insight into the building blocks of our universe and the variety of factors all leading up to humanity and the potential future.

By Nancy W

Jun 19, 2017

Really great course! This is a great way to look at multiple sciences and areas of knowledge, and Big History is a cool concept. Reminds me of the old show "Connections" that related things in unexpected ways.

By Neil H

Apr 7, 2016

Excellent overview of 13.8bn years, places a history framework around the story of the Universe. uses the concept of thresholds to help explain how increasing complexity has led humans to where they are today.

By Diane B A

Oct 9, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. It really is a great introduction to the history of everything and provides additional resources so that you can further explore topics that are of special interest to you.

By Mayte M

Mar 12, 2018

I agree this course need to be part of the Education system world wide, it will help humans to evolve and to be aware of the importance of our mistakes in the past. I believe this course is one of the best.

By leslie l

May 4, 2016

This is a very simple course about complexity. I do a lot of rabbit holeing so found the lectures a good way to organize further reading and research on various topics. would recommend this class highly

By Gabriel V D

Jun 3, 2016

An excellent course with highly dynamic and interesting teaching staff. A mind blowing introduction to critical thinking and a eye opener as to different ways to view our world and knowledge in general.

By Sampada A

Jul 2, 2020

By στηΣφαιρα τ

Mar 24, 2016

Very interesting, unbelievable professors and very clear use of the English language, that made the course easy (even in subjects I was not familiar with) for me since it is not my native language...

By Magnus M

Nov 19, 2015

Various professors which are inspiring and knowledgable.

Good format, short videos and links for digging deeper.

But it´s a five star course because I enjoy being flabbergasted with my origin myth.

By A S

Aug 28, 2020

This course is an eye-opener. I took it out of curiosity and interests in history in general. There is so much more than history in this course. Well structured and well-respected professors.

By XIANGYU S

Oct 6, 2020

So good~! I really a lot from this course~! The first two parts are difficult to me. A lot of academic vocabulary for universe. However, I made it~! Thanks all the teachers in this course~!

By Patricia C

Apr 9, 2018

I found that this course open my eyes and mind to our very existence in this world. Starting from the beginning of time the Big Bang. Awesome course. Will recommend this course. Thank You.

By Ratu N H

Jul 13, 2020

I really gained so much knowledge here. This is the most comprehensive course that could explain history from the beginning of the beginning with the insight of multi-discipline scholars.