Back to Big History: Connecting Knowledge

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Big History: Connecting Knowledge by Macquarie University

We currently face unprecedented challenges on a global scale. These problems do not neatly fall into disciplines. They are complicated, complex, and connected. Join us on this epic journey of 13.8 billion years starting at the Big Bang and travelling through time all the way to the future. Discover the connections in our world, the power of collective learning, how our universe and our world has evolved from incredible simplicity to ever-increasing complexity. Experience our modern scientific origin story through Big History and discover the important links between past, current, and future events. You will find two different types of lectures. ‘Zooming In’ lectures from multiple specialists enable you to understand key concepts through the lens of different disciplines, whilst David Christian's ‘Big History Framework’ lectures provide the connective overview for a journey through eight thresholds of Big History....

SA
Jul 1, 2020

I absolutely LOVED Big History! It's so interesting and insightful!! I highly recommend everyone to take this course, you will learn a lot about the world! Thank you Professor Christian and Baker!! :)

BG
Jan 6, 2016

Finally! A creation myth based on evidence and multiple scientific disciplines for all humans is here! The time for stories based on speculation and superstition for the chosen group is finally over.

351 - 375 of 402 Reviews for Big History: Connecting Knowledge

By Jay L

Nov 13, 2015

A logical expansion of the way history should be taught, Big History starts with the Big Bang and moves on from there. The historical information is not new but the perspective it encourages provides a way to tie history closer to science and the major events that have changed the universe, our world and human life. To often in history we get caught up in the details. Big History makes sure that the big picture, and how we fit into it, is always visible.

By Nina F

May 1, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. It was interesting learning about the history of the universe as well as many other things. There was so much I didn't know before taking this course. It's interesting to see just how far the world and its people has come since the beginning. My only recommendation for this course would be to update some of the links. I found that some of the links didn't work or didn't exist anymore.

By Shaun L T G

Jun 10, 2020

This is a good course for anyone interested in the History of the world from billions of years ago till now. As a Humanities student, I found some scientific explanations on the formations of stars/ Solar System/ Chemistry to be a tad tough but overall, the interactive and engaging way in which facts were presented and the claim testers really got me to think critically and see knowledge in an inter-connected way!

By John S S I

Oct 21, 2016

Good course to show that the sum total of what the Earth is today and what she is capable of is truly the sum of everything that has had an effect on the Earth since the Big Bang. Had the environment been off slightly in heat, H2O, O2, etc., the right elements had not been present, there had been not liquid water, no lightning, etc., there may not have formed life on the planet and Earth might be more like Mars.

By D S

Jan 31, 2018

Love the course and the concepts ... some points conveyed as facts, glossed over quickly as "givens" which might have been more accurately portrayed as best present knowledge and/or theory. There is also a political slant in here, maybe an activist angle ... OK, I am aligned, it just steps over the line of learning into advocacy (leave that for the TED talk).

By Vernon G

Jan 29, 2016

Initial reaction: Superb……Lectures are succinct and understandable. Support material seems well selected and informative. Forums are lively and peopled by very interested students……

Towards the end of the course however I began to wonder about the efficacy of some of the claims and I had a growing doubt about much of the material used…...

By Kristian B

May 16, 2020

This was a really interesting course, spanning the entire universe and connecting knowledge from multiple disciplines of learning and understanding. The only problem with it is that a lot of the materials have expired, but you can always find your own if you are interested those topics.

By Vishal B S J

May 13, 2020

The course material on the topics are excellent and the videos have been carefully made so ass to remain interesting to students from all backgrounds (this being an interdisciplinary course). Although I personally found the courses on topics like stratigraphy and geology a bit boring :P

By Jane A

Sep 21, 2020

I'm still not completely convinced "big history" is really a "discipline," but it is an intriguing and innovative approach to organizing our understanding of our existence, and I very much enjoyed the broad scope and transdisciplinary approach. Learned a lot!

By Edmund B

Jun 3, 2016

Ambitious coverage of the human understanding of our reality to date. Gaps in knowledge are left for future finding, while the presentation of what we do know with some certainty is highlighted. The 4th lesson video of week 1 is a masterpiece.

By Chloé V

Mar 28, 2016

Enjoyable course and I appreciated the interdisciplinary nature. At times, I felt like I wanted to delve deeper into the content, but I understand that this MOOC, like most others, are breadth courses designed for incoming Freshmen.

By hariom t

May 14, 2020

It was such a great journey. I enjoyed each and every bit of the knowledge. they even gave the option for further reading and free materials as well. now I am thinking of pursuing my higher studies in this domain

By Matthew K

Dec 2, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. It provided an insightful analysis of Big History for myself.

I would recommend it for anyone to complete who is open to insightful and expert opinions on Big History.

By Harsh M

Dec 5, 2016

A really well structured course filled with rich knowledge and important details. On completion of this course, the meaning of the word 'History' won't be the same again.

By rabinder h

Jun 26, 2017

The course may include a unit on hierarchy , interlinks and patterns which can be observed in every aspect of man made things with respect to nature.

Thanking

By Ramaprabhu P

Feb 28, 2016

The course content had met its objectives. I loved the way interdisciplinary sciences were explained precisely from Astronomy to paleontology to economics

By Bart V

Sep 21, 2017

Interesting idea to approach everything from an idea of increasing complexity, but due to the nature of the subject they can't really go into any detail.

By John D

Dec 14, 2015

Very nice overview, but it seemed to be too much information for the limited time. There should be a separate six week course for each threshold.

Jan 8, 2016

This Astronomy course is good but for people that are more interesting in the big bang theory and how the universe came into existence today.

By Abhishek S M

Aug 5, 2017

great knowledge expansion in unique way. this collective knowledge gave me a very wide perspective view of humanity and its existence.

By Arian F

Sep 16, 2017

Amazing, draws you in with the bonus points but keeps you invested with the surprising amount of detail and the interesting topics.

By Marcus M

Apr 28, 2019

well presented information and a thorough course helped me to truly grasp the concept of what was being presented to me

By Stephanie B M

Dec 21, 2016

Interesting concepts here and loved seeing all the connections. At times it was a bit too cutesy in its presentations.

By Ilia S

Dec 30, 2015

the last assignment is too time consuming, I didn't completed it though I finished all the other assignments.

By aj s

Jun 9, 2016

Just started this course, but so far love the graphics and the enthusiasm of the teachers.