Back to Big History: Connecting Knowledge

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Big History: Connecting Knowledge by Macquarie University

We currently face unprecedented challenges on a global scale. These problems do not neatly fall into disciplines. They are complicated, complex, and connected. Join us on this epic journey of 13.8 billion years starting at the Big Bang and travelling through time all the way to the future. Discover the connections in our world, the power of collective learning, how our universe and our world has evolved from incredible simplicity to ever-increasing complexity. Experience our modern scientific origin story through Big History and discover the important links between past, current, and future events. You will find two different types of lectures. ‘Zooming In’ lectures from multiple specialists enable you to understand key concepts through the lens of different disciplines, whilst David Christian's ‘Big History Framework’ lectures provide the connective overview for a journey through eight thresholds of Big History....

SA
Jul 1, 2020

I absolutely LOVED Big History! It's so interesting and insightful!! I highly recommend everyone to take this course, you will learn a lot about the world! Thank you Professor Christian and Baker!! :)

BG
Jan 6, 2016

Finally! A creation myth based on evidence and multiple scientific disciplines for all humans is here! The time for stories based on speculation and superstition for the chosen group is finally over.

51 - 75 of 410 Reviews for Big History: Connecting Knowledge

By Lachlan A

Mar 4, 2021

Very interesting course that gave me a whole new perspective on the world, and the connections between the disciplines of history, astronomy, anthropology, palaeontology and much more. Highly recommend this course to anyone who is interested in learning new things, even if they aren't that interested in science. I am not really that interested in science as a subject yet I still thought this course was very engaging and very well put together.

By Britty R T

Aug 11, 2020

Big History: Connecting Knowledge is an excellent course offered by coursera. The topic itself is an outstanding one which connects the history of universe, stars, planets, and mankind, by linking different disciplines. Special appreciation to the lectures, especially the chief instructor Professor David Christian and associate lecturer David Baker for providing this excellent topic in a simple and effective manner. Thanks to the entire team.

By Grace V

Sep 25, 2017

Intellectually thought provoking, as well as socially enlightening for all levels of understanding of the world. Highly recommend for high school students who are interested in expanding their prior, more narrow perception on history. It's interdisciplinary methodology allows for a significant increase in appreciation for how science, history and teleological studies interrelate, while the course is also still enjoyable.

By Robert S

May 9, 2017

Excellent course! This is a thorough presentation of a difficult subject with experts in the various fields explaining how their field (area of expertise) connects with or is dependent on other fields. Prior to this course I thought of history more in terms of written or archeological evidence. This course included astronomy, chemistry, biology, geology and other fields I would not ordinarily think of as history.

By Cynthia K

Apr 6, 2016

Wonderful course. The resources are very useful - I spend more time going through those, than watching the videos. The timelines and glossaries are very helpful. Everything is very well done. It's also interesting to have the variety of instructors with different backgrounds. If I'd had a course like this when I was in high school or college, I might have become a geologist. Fascinating stuff.

By Yazan B

Dec 18, 2019

"Big History: connecting knowledge" was my first online course to do, and you know that the first time is always specials, and honestly it significantly improved my point of view toward the universe, and without noticing after you completing the course you will see how you will get used to critical thinking, I real appreciate this work by Macquarie university and hoping to meet again in the future.

By Jess. H

Sep 21, 2019

This is a pretty though provoking course. It allows me to learn about history from a general view. My biggest gain from this course if understanding that everything, including lifes, or even the universe, will at some point come to an end. The course sort of forces me to face this reality, therefore make me think about how I'm going to do with the rest year of my life before it comes to the end.

By Pranav C

i was very curious about how all its start and i really want to learn and study about it. and look what i got this course. and get my first first bunch of knowledge about all of this. the course was too good. i really got lot of knowledge. and in a very simple manner, the language was very easy to understand i just loved it. and thank you for such knowledgeable course.

By Bernie N

Jun 10, 2016

Excellent course in integrating all the 'ologies' that give insight into how it all came together from the Big Bang to the development of life to a vision of the future landscape of human existence.

Excellent presenters, the right level of subject matter content and an exceptional level of production quality.

A great job done by the entire staff and much appreciated.

By Richelle N E

Mar 15, 2016

Very nice! I like the variation and the montages of the video lectures very much. The variety really kept me enticed and paying attention throughout everything. This course would also be a perfect self-paced course. Interesting subject matter as well! Very important for everyone, to get a sense of where we are and where our lives fit into the bigger picture.

By marcus

Dec 11, 2019

I am amazed at the level of informative information that can truly be embedded into the human mind in the span of six weeks. From human history that covers the critical points in society from geology, philosophy and history, to the birth of the universe and the creation of life, big history will give it to you all, making your mind prepared for the future.

By D V

Dec 3, 2016

Enjoying all of it. Actually in process of going through it a second time. So much information is made available every week, that I am finding and learning new things the second time through. The variety of instructors and information sources is appreciated. Thank you for putting such a extensive course together and making it available for all.

By Vladimir

Jun 27, 2017

Absolutely amazing course!

It's not only fun and intense, but a coherent story with facts conveyed in most interesting way. Allows to have a view of a BIG picture and even scale the view to a more local periods.

Thank you Creators! That is a great Journey! Thanks!

This is the rare course to return enjoy later again. And somehow, I'm sure I will.

By Gregory H

Jun 12, 2018

Very good overview of the history of the universe. Provided an amazing "big picture" helping me to organize other courses I have taken that focused on specific eras in history. For example, where do dinosaurs fit in relative to mammals or plants. It makes it much easier to study the details of shorter historical periods. Highly recommended.

By Soma B

Mar 9, 2016

This is a wonderful and absolutely mind-boggling course. I am so glad I got this opportunity to take this course and be introduced to this topic. The range of topics covered are diverse and they make you think of how it all began, your past, present and future. I will like to thank all the professors and contributors who made this course.

By Ardra R

Jun 14, 2020

It was really a new platform and experience for me to earn some knowledge regarding the big bang history to modernity. The evaluation methods you have used was really unique and novel. The assignment, quiz and the claim testers were quite interesting to be done. Thanks for the resourceful sessions. Really contentful and inspirational.

By Vennela V

Nov 29, 2020

This is a beautiful course; everything I could have asked for in a transdisciplinary course. I was constantly dazed by the knowledge the experts were imparting, David Baker's simple way of putting things was also very impressive. I am very thankful to Prof. David Christian for being the pioneer of such a magnificent course.

By Mihkel H

Feb 23, 2017

A great way to get an overview of one's place in this world by understanding the whole history of the universe before and after humans. The multitude of sciences touched upon during the course made me research on the topics discussed more thoroughly. The teachers are good, the intro music is a wee bit too intense

By Jan G

Jun 25, 2020

A very interesting course which draws from many different disciplines as they relate to our world history from the beginning of time. Very enthusiastic and engaging teachers, the graphics and videos are excellent. The accompanying references contain some resource gems I will enjoy referring to in the future.

By Emmanuella P

Apr 13, 2020

I love how this course blended so many disciplines and their knowledge. The big picture painted in Big History is essential in the current confusing days. We need to realize all this collectively so we can move towards a brighter future. Not this greedy, selfish, ignorant way we seem to mostly be leading.

By Raghav R

Mar 14, 2021

A wonderful way to reflect on Life, the Universe and Everything through the study of Big History: A multidisciplinary discipline that seeks to group and analyse everything we have come to know as a species.. of our history, our present and as to where we might be headed. Enjoyed this course greatly.

By Manojkumar P S

May 14, 2020

As a student of History, the course on Big History: Connecting Knowledge gave me fresh insights regarding the sources we can use while learning, writing and engaging with History. I am indebted for the team for taking me to fresh arenas of historical researches and conceptualizations. Thank You.

By Gabriella

Jan 17, 2016

A well-taught, mind-expanding, perspective-altering course. Everything is presented in an interesting and understandable way, even complex topics such as cosmology and chemistry. I can't rate the Big History course highly enough - it has inspired me so much and I can't wait to keep learning.

By Ella K

Nov 28, 2015

Incredible course in every way: Highly competent lecturers, excellent video quality in both content and production, great pacing and delivery of information and dozens of links to engaging resource material.

One of the best MOOCs I have ever participated in: fun, informative and intriguing!

By Kseniia K

May 6, 2020

Amazing course that ties together various concepts and sciences to provide a holistic approach to the understanding of our Universe. Perfect for general knowledge and improving transdisciplinary skills. Special thanks to the Pr. David Christian - one of the best lecturers on Coursera!