Back to Big History: Connecting Knowledge

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Big History: Connecting Knowledge by Macquarie University

We currently face unprecedented challenges on a global scale. These problems do not neatly fall into disciplines. They are complicated, complex, and connected. Join us on this epic journey of 13.8 billion years starting at the Big Bang and travelling through time all the way to the future. Discover the connections in our world, the power of collective learning, how our universe and our world has evolved from incredible simplicity to ever-increasing complexity. Experience our modern scientific origin story through Big History and discover the important links between past, current, and future events. You will find two different types of lectures. ‘Zooming In’ lectures from multiple specialists enable you to understand key concepts through the lens of different disciplines, whilst David Christian's ‘Big History Framework’ lectures provide the connective overview for a journey through eight thresholds of Big History....

BG

Jan 07, 2016

Finally! A creation myth based on evidence and multiple scientific disciplines for all humans is here! The time for stories based on speculation and superstition for the chosen group is finally over.

MS

Aug 01, 2017

Very informative, cross and inter-disciplinary course. Lot of effort is put into formulating and developing the course. Thanks for all the people who have contributed to run the course successfully.

226 - 250 of 250 Reviews for Big History: Connecting Knowledge

By John S S I

Oct 21, 2016

Good course to show that the sum total of what the Earth is today and what she is capable of is truly the sum of everything that has had an effect on the Earth since the Big Bang. Had the environment been off slightly in heat, H2O, O2, etc., the right elements had not been present, there had been not liquid water, no lightning, etc., there may not have formed life on the planet and Earth might be more like Mars.

By Harsh M

Dec 06, 2016

A really well structured course filled with rich knowledge and important details. On completion of this course, the meaning of the word 'History' won't be the same again.

Jan 09, 2016

This Astronomy course is good but for people that are more interesting in the big bang theory and how the universe came into existence today.

By Ilia S

Dec 30, 2015

the last assignment is too time consuming, I didn't completed it though I finished all the other assignments.

By Henry I

Apr 11, 2016

It is very good but it doesn't explain every thing

By rabinder h

Jun 26, 2017

The course may include a unit on hierarchy , interlinks and patterns which can be observed in every aspect of man made things with respect to nature.

Thanking

By Tony A

Feb 09, 2016

Good, engaging and thought-provoking course.

By aj s

Jun 09, 2016

Just started this course, but so far love the graphics and the enthusiasm of the teachers.

By Matthew K

Dec 02, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. It provided an insightful analysis of Big History for myself.

I would recommend it for anyone to complete who is open to insightful and expert opinions on Big History.

By Ian M

Aug 02, 2017

Useful in understanding the bigger context of time outside of history.

By Chloé V

Mar 28, 2016

Enjoyable course and I appreciated the interdisciplinary nature. At times, I felt like I wanted to delve deeper into the content, but I understand that this MOOC, like most others, are breadth courses designed for incoming Freshmen.

By Daniel S

Jan 31, 2018

Love the course and the concepts ... some points conveyed as facts, glossed over quickly as "givens" which might have been more accurately portrayed as best present knowledge and/or theory. There is also a political slant in here, maybe an activist angle ... OK, I am aligned, it just steps over the line of learning into advocacy (leave that for the TED talk).

By Vipul A

Jan 20, 2017

It was very intuitive course with lots of example and explanation.

By Medhedi

Apr 26, 2017

Excellent Cours.. Merci a tt l'équipe

By Jan N

Jan 18, 2016

The course is very nicely done and well organized. The fundamental organization around sources of learning and the progression of lessons are well done and strongly support knowledge building. Some of the speakers have verbal patterns or flows of speaking that can be a bit distracting, but they are all interesting and informative. I like that you can also download transcripts. I am a very visual learner whose mind tends to wander off when faced with a talking head. Having the transcript to follow as I listen allowed me to highlight and make notes while listening, ensuring greater attention to the content. Ultimately, I made the decision to not finish the course. Not because the course was not well done but because it doesn't align with my own interests in systems thinking and complexity. It is a good course and well worth engaging in, even if you discover, as I did, that it doesn't quite match one's learning needs. I do recommend it if you are interested in cosmology and theories related to the origins of the universe.

By Will S

Sep 26, 2018

This course places you right in the midst of the whole universe without forgetting about your local environment.

By Якупов А М

May 26, 2019

Global view of the evolution process.

By Marcus M

Apr 28, 2019

well presented information and a thorough course helped me to truly grasp the concept of what was being presented to me

By Leandro A R

Apr 08, 2016

Excellent lecturers and high-quality material to study, although the course is heavily centered on human History as opposed to Big History - i.e. early Universe and its development over a time span of billions of years.

By Simon-Peter S

Jan 10, 2017

Well the course is reasonably well organized the material is in great detail exceeding what I would've thought the overview concept of big history would be. Other big history courses I've taken do not go into specific date and time detail, period by period But function more in terms of how preceding events may be causative for future events (more like a butterfly effect analysis over long periods of time).

If you are looking for more detailed specific history than this course is useful. If you are looking for more of the big history overview concept this may not be the best course for you.

By Paolo S

Dec 18, 2015

The history of the universe, mainkind and the future in 6 weeks. A very short introduction but a good idea

By Bill T

Aug 23, 2016

With a grand title and grand introduction, I found the course very superficial and gained little additional insight form "Big History".

By aneli h

Nov 27, 2018

By Kerstin S

Sep 18, 2016

Why is this course dangerous?

I took this course because first I liked the idea to have a history lesson spanning the age of the whole universe. Maybe it is also intriguing to explain everything just with one principle: the second law of thermodynamics. BUT as it turned out they don't have any clue what this second law of thermodynamics means. They always forget the second part of it: it is just valide in a closed system. I think everbody will agree, that the earth for example isn't a closed system.

In the beginning they tell you you should be critical about everything new you hear or get taught. But if you are critical and question things they teach you they will ignore you. One glance at the discussion forum shows: they are fast in answering good feedback and compliments by students, but critical questions (with scientific papers who show different facts) get ignored for weeks and months. They are cherry picking. They just see what encourages their view and their opinion and ignore everything that contradicts their course, opinion, believe and dogma. In this respect they are so dangerous. That is the same principle how cults work.

Maybe their goal, stopping polluting and changing the world in such a speed seems to be a good one. But also here you have to be careful. When they talk about climate change and the overuse of ressources they are exaggerating by a factor of 50! In my opinion you are damaging an important discussion if you are lying and exaggerating in such a shameless way. For sure it is not helpful! But again, the truth doesn't fit in their world view.

Furthermore they "teach" that cities get blown away by taifoons is caused by the "universe balancing entropy". This isn't just lack of understanding physics, or history, or flow mechanics, it is just insane.

In summary: this is not a history course, but the "teachings" of a lying, exaggerating, cherry picking cult with no knowledge in particle physics, cosmology, chemistry, biology or even history.

So please: if you take this course, be aware of this pitfalls and their intentions.

By Zdenek K

Apr 30, 2016

I find the week 6 of this course completely irrelevant. Also, I'm attending courses on Coursera to learn and quizzes are IMO an essential part of that process, but definitely not essays. For me personally, essays are just waste of time and there's nothing beneficial about them.

Another thing that bugs me is how questionably and often misleadingly are thermodynamical laws interpreted by the professors in this course.