Back to Big History: Connecting Knowledge

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Big History: Connecting Knowledge by Macquarie University

We currently face unprecedented challenges on a global scale. These problems do not neatly fall into disciplines. They are complicated, complex, and connected. Join us on this epic journey of 13.8 billion years starting at the Big Bang and travelling through time all the way to the future. Discover the connections in our world, the power of collective learning, how our universe and our world has evolved from incredible simplicity to ever-increasing complexity. Experience our modern scientific origin story through Big History and discover the important links between past, current, and future events. You will find two different types of lectures. ‘Zooming In’ lectures from multiple specialists enable you to understand key concepts through the lens of different disciplines, whilst David Christian's ‘Big History Framework’ lectures provide the connective overview for a journey through eight thresholds of Big History....

BG

Jan 07, 2016

Finally! A creation myth based on evidence and multiple scientific disciplines for all humans is here! The time for stories based on speculation and superstition for the chosen group is finally over.

MS

Aug 01, 2017

Very informative, cross and inter-disciplinary course. Lot of effort is put into formulating and developing the course. Thanks for all the people who have contributed to run the course successfully.

51 - 75 of 252 Reviews for Big History: Connecting Knowledge

By César A D S

Oct 26, 2015

At this moment, this course has been really good.

By Mihkel H

Feb 23, 2017

A great way to get an overview of one's place in this world by understanding the whole history of the universe before and after humans. The multitude of sciences touched upon during the course made me research on the topics discussed more thoroughly. The teachers are good, the intro music is a wee bit too intense

By Miguel Á G M

Jun 08, 2016

A course that changes the way of seeing the history

By JOHN Q

Dec 07, 2015

An interesting perspective. I hadn't thought of combining all history into one outlook before. Thanks.

By Bart S

Oct 10, 2016

Great class, please repeat it

By Severin K

Feb 18, 2016

Truly insightful and enjoyable big picture course. Much effort must have gone into its preparation. Makes you want to to learn more.

By Viveka C

Feb 19, 2016

By Mildred G

Mar 19, 2016

I am enjoying the course.

By Neil H

Apr 07, 2016

Excellent overview of 13.8bn years, places a history framework around the story of the Universe. uses the concept of thresholds to help explain how increasing complexity has led humans to where they are today.

By Alice Z

Nov 22, 2015

They speak clearly, allowing differences of opinions without insulting beliefs, break each segment into the components parts and giving current information on each so that a student has sufficient information to decide - and enjoy the 'claim tests'.

I have taken coursera courses in each of the segments as well as having higher ed in some that are nice to get up-to-date - and all in one place - to begin to see what Alex Humboldt called the web of the world.

By Richelle N E

Mar 15, 2016

Very nice! I like the variation and the montages of the video lectures very much. The variety really kept me enticed and paying attention throughout everything. This course would also be a perfect self-paced course. Interesting subject matter as well! Very important for everyone, to get a sense of where we are and where our lives fit into the bigger picture.

By Rissah W

Aug 25, 2017

Amazing class! I loved the variety of speakers/teachers. It kept my attention, tied ideas together beautifully, and was incredibly enjoyable. I would highly recommend this class!

By Anne L G

Sep 19, 2016

Excellent course. It is worth your time to to learn about our scientific origin story.

By Grace V

Sep 26, 2017

Intellectually thought provoking, as well as socially enlightening for all levels of understanding of the world. Highly recommend for high school students who are interested in expanding their prior, more narrow perception on history. It's interdisciplinary methodology allows for a significant increase in appreciation for how science, history and teleological studies interrelate, while the course is also still enjoyable.

By David V G

Dec 03, 2016

Enjoying all of it. Actually in process of going through it a second time. So much information is made available every week, that I am finding and learning new things the second time through. The variety of instructors and information sources is appreciated. Thank you for putting such a extensive course together and making it available for all.

By Jaime R

Sep 07, 2016

Great introduction to the big history concept. Awesome production. Content of the last two weeks is significantly weaker than the rest though

By Caroline B

Dec 27, 2016

An amazing and very insightful course. This is the one origin story I will tell from now on.

By Jiantao M

Feb 14, 2016

NICE

By Stephen C

Jun 27, 2016

The best Coursera course I've taken so far! A daring and entertaining stab at a theory of everything :)

Thanks!

By Mahsa J

May 10, 2017

Such an interesting and informative course

By Terezinha M M

Oct 19, 2017

Este é o meu primeiro curso e gostei demais. Tive dificuldades porque não sou fluente em inglês. Para compreender a matéria, tive que traduzir tudo, mesmo assim valeu a pena. Por não saber, deixei de participar do forum, o que teria me ajudado ainda mais. Acredito que a troca de conhecimento ajuda muito os alunos a compreenderem e participarem dos cursos. O curso também cumpre uma metodologia que faz o aluno pensar, ao invés de oferecer respostas prontas. Muito bom!

By Florina C

Jan 19, 2016

I recommend this course as I enjoyed every bit of it!

Apr 14, 2016

Absolutely amazing. Every detail of this course has been done with the perfect combination of precision and beauty.

By Gregory H

Jun 12, 2018

Very good overview of the history of the universe. Provided an amazing "big picture" helping me to organize other courses I have taken that focused on specific eras in history. For example, where do dinosaurs fit in relative to mammals or plants. It makes it much easier to study the details of shorter historical periods. Highly recommended.

By Marlene F

Aug 23, 2016

I have really enjoyed all of the lectures just for my own personal knowledge! ! Well done!