Back to Big History: Connecting Knowledge

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Big History: Connecting Knowledge by Macquarie University

We currently face unprecedented challenges on a global scale. These problems do not neatly fall into disciplines. They are complicated, complex, and connected. Join us on this epic journey of 13.8 billion years starting at the Big Bang and travelling through time all the way to the future. Discover the connections in our world, the power of collective learning, how our universe and our world has evolved from incredible simplicity to ever-increasing complexity. Experience our modern scientific origin story through Big History and discover the important links between past, current, and future events. You will find two different types of lectures. ‘Zooming In’ lectures from multiple specialists enable you to understand key concepts through the lens of different disciplines, whilst David Christian's ‘Big History Framework’ lectures provide the connective overview for a journey through eight thresholds of Big History....

BG

Jan 07, 2016

Finally! A creation myth based on evidence and multiple scientific disciplines for all humans is here! The time for stories based on speculation and superstition for the chosen group is finally over.

MS

Aug 01, 2017

Very informative, cross and inter-disciplinary course. Lot of effort is put into formulating and developing the course. Thanks for all the people who have contributed to run the course successfully.

201 - 225 of 250 Reviews for Big History: Connecting Knowledge

By Francisco J d o (

Sep 03, 2019

A connection of all knowledge into one line of understanding of our beautiful and mysterious universe. Thank you very much.

By Niels M S

Sep 15, 2019

Fantastic and trailblaizing course. Changes your perspective on so many things and educates you in state-of.the-art knowledge in many fields such as astrophysics, geology, palaeontology, biology, archelology, social sciences and history. Great focus on what science is as well and differences between natural sciences on the one side and social sciences and history on the other. Where possible they also let you see 'the data' for yourself.

By christian

Sep 16, 2019

interseting to learn

By Marcos S

Jun 11, 2019

Every history buff, enthusiast and ALL history teachers out there should take this course.

We've taken history and taught it from an ethnocentric point of view for far too long.

Big history will give you the framework to shift your thinking about history from just "history begins with writing" to "we are all connected from the beginning"

By Jess. H

Sep 21, 2019

This is a pretty though provoking course. It allows me to learn about history from a general view. My biggest gain from this course if understanding that everything, including lifes, or even the universe, will at some point come to an end. The course sort of forces me to face this reality, therefore make me think about how I'm going to do with the rest year of my life before it comes to the end.

By Brandon H

Sep 30, 2019

Interesting. Informative. Exciting.

By bill w

Oct 11, 2019

Really enjoyed the course. In particular, the concepts of increasing complexity, thresholds and Goldilocks conditions and the knowledge testing tools gave me a very useful framework for organising my knowledge and for further learning.

By Julio C N P

Mar 21, 2019

i like big history

By John D

Dec 15, 2015

Very nice overview, but it seemed to be too much information for the limited time. There should be a separate six week course for each threshold.

By Jay L

Nov 13, 2015

A logical expansion of the way history should be taught, Big History starts with the Big Bang and moves on from there. The historical information is not new but the perspective it encourages provides a way to tie history closer to science and the major events that have changed the universe, our world and human life. To often in history we get caught up in the details. Big History makes sure that the big picture, and how we fit into it, is always visible.

By Tsambikos P

May 25, 2017

very good lessons!!

By Robert S

Apr 19, 2016

Great ideas. Great course.

By Mark E R

Oct 30, 2016

Very nice course, only minor issue is that the assignments were a tad easy

By Margaret S C

Oct 14, 2016

Covers a lot of fields of knowledge. Beautifully illustrated and well explained.

By Muhammad A S

Sep 20, 2016

An excellent course indeed! Strongly recommended for 'everyone'!

By Stephanie B M

Dec 21, 2016

Interesting concepts here and loved seeing all the connections. At times it was a bit too cutesy in its presentations.

By Bart V

Sep 21, 2017

Interesting idea to approach everything from an idea of increasing complexity, but due to the nature of the subject they can't really go into any detail.

By Vernon G

Jan 29, 2016

Initial reaction: Superb……Lectures are succinct and understandable. Support material seems well selected and informative. Forums are lively and peopled by very interested students……

Towards the end of the course however I began to wonder about the efficacy of some of the claims and I had a growing doubt about much of the material used…...

By Edmund B

Jun 03, 2016

Ambitious coverage of the human understanding of our reality to date. Gaps in knowledge are left for future finding, while the presentation of what we do know with some certainty is highlighted. The 4th lesson video of week 1 is a masterpiece.

By Ramaprabhu P

Feb 28, 2016

The course content had met its objectives. I loved the way interdisciplinary sciences were explained precisely from Astronomy to paleontology to economics

By Patrick L

May 29, 2016

Very interesting and mind expanding.

By Richard H

Apr 09, 2018

I loved the course, I agree upon the age history of the Universe and physical Earth, but do not buy human evolution from other primates for a minute. I have studied this problem for too long and the linkage is weak. Bypassing recorded written human history, calling fossil history more important is a very big error for any Historian. The historical Evidence really shows that some Being or Beings intervened in mankind within the last 10,000 years, with the introduction of Language, probably with the introduction of mankind himself by these beings we refer to as God. This history is left out of the Big History course, not even mentioned as a possibility. For that decisively selective direction of this history teaching I must give the course only 4 and not 5 stars. A Historian must cover ALL the possibilities and let the student of history examine the Evidences seen and written. That is what I do.

By Simon C

Apr 08, 2016

This is a good course. I liked the idea of the 9 thresholds of increasing complexity, with the energy required, the Goldilocks conditions, and emergence. I want to think about this a bit more, and see how I can apply it to other, smaller, thresholds.

I like the idea of restoring the idea of a story to history. It's time to think about whether we should be moving into the driver's seat, and whether we have any idea of where we want to go.

What would it take to make this a great course? The Discussion Forums don't seem to sparkle the way they do with some other courses I have done. I have completed other Coursera offerings, such as Origins (University of Copenhagen Natural History Museum), Our Earth (Climate, History, and Processes - University of Manchester), and Introduction to Genetics & Evolution (Duke University), and there was a lot of discussion among students. I felt that I learned a lot from the discussions, and not just the formal lectures. I also noticed the lecturers participating in the discussions. I cannot understand why this hasn't happened on this course, but it is part of my feeling that this course has a way to go yet.

By Abhishek S M

Aug 05, 2017

great knowledge expansion in unique way. this collective knowledge gave me a very wide perspective view of humanity and its existence.

By Arian F

Sep 16, 2017

Amazing, draws you in with the bonus points but keeps you invested with the surprising amount of detail and the interesting topics.