Back to Big History: Connecting Knowledge

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Big History: Connecting Knowledge by Macquarie University

We currently face unprecedented challenges on a global scale. These problems do not neatly fall into disciplines. They are complicated, complex, and connected. Join us on this epic journey of 13.8 billion years starting at the Big Bang and travelling through time all the way to the future. Discover the connections in our world, the power of collective learning, how our universe and our world has evolved from incredible simplicity to ever-increasing complexity. Experience our modern scientific origin story through Big History and discover the important links between past, current, and future events. You will find two different types of lectures. ‘Zooming In’ lectures from multiple specialists enable you to understand key concepts through the lens of different disciplines, whilst David Christian's ‘Big History Framework’ lectures provide the connective overview for a journey through eight thresholds of Big History....

BG

Jan 07, 2016

Finally! A creation myth based on evidence and multiple scientific disciplines for all humans is here! The time for stories based on speculation and superstition for the chosen group is finally over.

MS

Aug 01, 2017

Very informative, cross and inter-disciplinary course. Lot of effort is put into formulating and developing the course. Thanks for all the people who have contributed to run the course successfully.

201 - 225 of 262 Reviews for Big History: Connecting Knowledge

By Cynthia K

Apr 06, 2016

Wonderful course. The resources are very useful - I spend more time going through those, than watching the videos. The timelines and glossaries are very helpful. Everything is very well done. It's also interesting to have the variety of instructors with different backgrounds. If I'd had a course like this when I was in high school or college, I might have become a geologist. Fascinating stuff.

By Laura B

Jun 06, 2017

Great. Everyone should do it. It is, after all, the universe.

By Sammy L

Dec 03, 2015

A fundamental course everyone should take!

By 王力超

Jun 11, 2016

excellent

By Florina C

Jan 19, 2016

I recommend this course as I enjoyed every bit of it!

By David D

Sep 21, 2016

Totally enjoyable. The videos are professional, varied and so informative. Comparing the quiz to some others , I found they were better formulated and less ambiguous.

Personally I feel I learned an amazing amount in a short time span and bother the content and pace were stimulating! so bravo!

This is the type of general knowledge everyone should have but probably 90 % only have a rough, inaccurate or no awareness whatsoever. This could be run even at the school level, it could stimulate future scientists.

By ammar a

Feb 24, 2016

thank you very much for your efforts on this course

By Rohit A

Jan 08, 2016

Absolutely love this course. I would say this is the mother of all courses. It provides a very elegant framework to information and knowledge one may acquire. I am loving it. Apparently this course helped Bill Gates become a Polymath.

By Omid M

Jan 11, 2016

Thanks for creating this course in very well organized format and sharing such an incredible overview of the history!

By Kousay a

Dec 22, 2015

Excellent course of history of our origin.

By Miguel M

Sep 19, 2016

Muy buen curso! en verdad provee informacion precisa y de manera muy didactica, recomendado!

By Lachlan J

Jul 26, 2017

Great course. Very interesting

By Sarah A

Jul 23, 2017

Informative, quick, interesting.

By Kateryna S

Jun 07, 2016

Liked the way course is organized, posing questions at the beginning of each lecture is a great idea.

By Yvonne F

Mar 14, 2017

Enlightening! The Big History framework/perspective provides both an anchor and a compass for our journey through life - it's basic scientific literacy.

By Joey S

Jul 10, 2019

This course taught me a new appreciation for the natural sciences by grounding them in a fascinating, evidence-based narrative. Anyone with a naturally historical mind who wishes to gain a fuller understanding and appreciation of science will have their life changed by Big History.

By Dr. W K

Apr 15, 2016

A great eye opener and excellently presented. The rise of complexity as a driving force of development and evolution was a great learning point.

By Hal S

Jan 25, 2016

Brilliant summation of knowledge of our universe from the beginning. Lucid and engaging.

By Colin C

Aug 29, 2018

Excellent course.

By Julio C N P

Mar 21, 2019

i like big history

By John D

Dec 15, 2015

Very nice overview, but it seemed to be too much information for the limited time. There should be a separate six week course for each threshold.

By Jay L

Nov 13, 2015

A logical expansion of the way history should be taught, Big History starts with the Big Bang and moves on from there. The historical information is not new but the perspective it encourages provides a way to tie history closer to science and the major events that have changed the universe, our world and human life. To often in history we get caught up in the details. Big History makes sure that the big picture, and how we fit into it, is always visible.

By Tsambikos P

May 25, 2017

very good lessons!!

By Robert S

Apr 19, 2016

Great ideas. Great course.

By Mark E R

Oct 30, 2016

Very nice course, only minor issue is that the assignments were a tad easy