Back to Bioinformatic Methods I

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Bioinformatic Methods I by University of Toronto

Large-scale biology projects such as the sequencing of the human genome and gene expression surveys using RNA-seq, microarrays and other technologies have created a wealth of data for biologists. However, the challenge facing scientists is analyzing and even accessing these data to extract useful information pertaining to the system being studied. This course focuses on employing existing bioinformatic resources – mainly web-based programs and databases – to access the wealth of data to answer questions relevant to the average biologist, and is highly hands-on. Topics covered include multiple sequence alignments, phylogenetics, gene expression data analysis, and protein interaction networks, in two separate parts. The first part, Bioinformatic Methods I (this one), deals with databases, Blast, multiple sequence alignments, phylogenetics, selection analysis and metagenomics. The second part, Bioinformatic Methods II, covers motif searching, protein-protein interactions, structural bioinformatics, gene expression data analysis, and cis-element predictions. This pair of courses is useful to any student considering graduate school in the biological sciences, as well as students considering molecular medicine. Both provide an overview of the many different bioinformatic tools that are out there. These courses are based on one taught at the University of Toronto to upper-level undergraduates who have some understanding of basic molecular biology. If you're not familiar with this, something like https://learn.saylor.org/course/bio101 might be helpful. No programming is required for this course. Bioinformatic Methods I is regularly updated, and was completely updated for January 2020....

SA

Jul 12, 2020

This course is very well organized, easy to understand, and explained everything steps by step which will help to grasp the concept easily. If you are a beginner like me, you should take this course.

ED

Apr 27, 2017

Great course. All lectures provide a biological context for the tools you learn in the labs. The labs themselves provide a great introduction to the many tools available for bioinformatic analysis.

226 - 250 of 286 Reviews for Bioinformatic Methods I

Jul 16, 2017

Nice!

By KADIM S S M

May 16, 2020

good

By Khaled A M D B

Jan 14, 2020

THAN

By Peter N

May 08, 2020

The very last assignment wouldn't work for me, for the final question. Total bummer. I was doing everything according to instructions and even checking but it wouldn't work. Don't feel like explaining but the conversion to mega just was faulty, and the instructor's instructions to fix the problem didn't help either.

Also, one of the questions in the final assignment was nowhere in the reading.

But overall a nice intro and not too difficult.

By Aniruddha V

Nov 02, 2016

A short and sweet, to-the-point course. This course helped me in getting a hang of some of the most widely used softwares and techniques required for bioinformatics. Only issue-some of the questions in certain quizzes have been assigned wrong choices as the answer, which led to a lot of confusion. They just wouldnt accept the right answer, so you are forced to mark the wrong ones and proceed.

By Sourav P

Jul 11, 2017

It Was A Very Interesting Course For My First Introduction To Bioinformatics. It Changed My Views That Biological Discoveries Only Involves Working In A Laboratory With Chemicals And Biological Samples.

It Felt Really Interesting That Even In Biology We Can Use Computer Software's To Generate Results Which Are Of Immense Importance To Scientists & Researchers.

By Daniel O

Jul 24, 2017

A nice introduction to bioinformatic methods. I learned some useful skills from this course that I'll be able to implement in my future research. I would recommend that people who take the course do some reading outside of the course material as sometimes the lectures skim over things with an expectation that you know it all.

By Teresa S A

Jul 10, 2019

Sometimes the information It's not that clear, they show basic information and then is hard to underestand everything to set it toghether. Any way, so usefull and interesting and a good way to get close to this tecniques that are becaming son important nowdays.

By Carlos M H

Feb 05, 2019

It was easy to follow, although some answers to the tests were wrong due to updates in the databases were are suposed to use. I wish it was a litlle more challenging (optional), but it porvided me with the basic knowledge to start my own learning.

By Patrick O

Nov 29, 2017

Great course for learning about current analysis methods and wonderful way to discover the amount of information you can extract from a DNA or protein sequence. Good explaining and summarizing of important bioinformatic content for begginers

By Maria C C

Jul 09, 2017

I enjoy this course, it will be very helpfull for my academic project and give new ideas of studies. I have some difficulties to follow the steps in the few labs exercises, but it does not comprimise the whole course.