Back to Building a Data Science Team

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Building a Data Science Team by Johns Hopkins University

Data science is a team sport. As a data science executive it is your job to recruit, organize, and manage the team to success. In this one-week course, we will cover how you can find the right people to fill out your data science team, how to organize them to give them the best chance to feel empowered and successful, and how to manage your team as it grows. This is a focused course designed to rapidly get you up to speed on the process of building and managing a data science team. Our goal was to make this as convenient as possible for you without sacrificing any essential content. We've left the technical information aside so that you can focus on managing your team and moving it forward. After completing this course you will know. 1. The different roles in the data science team including data scientist and data engineer 2. How the data science team relates to other teams in an organization 3. What are the expected qualifications of different data science team members 4. Relevant questions for interviewing data scientists 5. How to manage the onboarding process for the team 6. How to guide data science teams to success 7. How to encourage and empower data science teams Commitment: 1 week of study, 4-6 hours Course cover image by JaredZammit. Creative Commons BY-SA. https://flic.kr/p/5vuWZz...
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(79 Reviews)
Brief, helpful lectures
(11 Reviews)

NN

Dec 15, 2017

This course was an exceptional experience where it introduces me to building a data science team, its challenges, nuances and also what kind of approach to take while building and sustaining the team.

JS

Mar 12, 2017

Extremely practical and essentially human, this was really interesting to better understand the different roles and how to help data science teams to work together, highly recommended

251 - 275 of 332 Reviews for Building a Data Science Team

By Poul H N

Jan 27, 2018

Nice view from the top input regarding the issues facing performing data science on a daily basis.

By Clifton d L

Nov 21, 2017

I found this course useful, especially the hints regarding a code of conduct for Data teams and the interactions with other teams. Also a good refresher on general team-leadership/management.

By Miomir Z

Jun 30, 2017

Data science part was very valuable to me while some basics of people management are just basic. Overall solid course that i would recommend. More advance/modern/popular tools such as coaching and shared leadership were missing to make it 5 stars.

Best,

Miomir

By Rong-Rong C

Dec 01, 2017

Informative overview of the various roles in a data science team. The course is well-paced with plenty of supplemental curriculum to add substance beyond hiring. This covers the qualitative qualities that define and differentiate the human interactions of a successful team from that of the technical.

By Reinaldo B N

Apr 03, 2016

I have studied this course as part of the Executive Data Science Specialization. I think this set of four courses meet my objectives by providing a very nice overview on the key points of data science projects. They are good to give a flavor on data science and data science projects helping decide if you want to search for more in depth knowledge.

By Kelly H

Feb 29, 2016

I think the questions in this course do not map as well as they could to the lectures. But, overall it's very helpful.

By Cyril B

Feb 22, 2017

A very interesting course focus on the true life with data science teams. This course is more about the day to day life and problem to manage a data science team and less about pure organization. The financial aspects are not covered by Jeff nor the complex problems of people organization. I have noticed that I was the sole person to post on the forum.

By Alfredo P J

Jan 13, 2018

Great summary of mangement a Data Science Team!-. Includes roles on multiple entrepreneur configurations depending on size.

By Sergey V

Feb 13, 2018

Most of what has been said can be applied for building Software Engineering Team. Nothing special if you have experience in managing Software Engineers.

By Karthik S N

Apr 24, 2016

Great for a someone who wants to build or invest in a data science team.

By GIacomo V

Dec 21, 2015

I really enjoyed this course and I have found a lot of similarities with issues and challenges that I face every day at work. This has been very useful to me bot as a way to get inspired on new ideas and techniques, and as a way to confirm what I am already doing.

However, there were few occasions where I found the quizzes not to be clear enough.

In some instances this was due to the fact that the question asked required some extra knowledge that couldn't possibly be achieved only by reading the course material or listening to the class. I was lucky I new the answers because of my personal experience but it seemed quite unfair in my opinion. Also lectures materials are very short and don;t provide any extra information.

In other cases, the answers, especially when there were multiple answers didn't seem to be clear enough and sometimes contradicting what I had listened in the class. I don't remember specific cases at the moment, however I have left feedbacks throughout the course. You should have my feedbacks where I mentioned specific questions that in my opinion were confusing.

Hope this helps,

Giacomo

By Luis C

Feb 16, 2016

A good overview on how to build and manage data science teams.

By Atila T

Sep 26, 2017

Clear. Compact. Good.

By Paulose B

Oct 20, 2016

too pricy

By Ryan V

May 22, 2016

Good but should come after the Managing Data Analysis for understanding better what the people you hire are actually going to do. Preventing the "Dilbertification" of the data science manager.

By Weihua W

Jan 19, 2016

Expensive course.

Good for how to find a team.

By Ben W

Oct 10, 2016

A good, enjoyable course with some interesting additional reading. I think I would have preferred a little more detail/content to have given it a full five stars. That said...I am very happy to have taken and passed the course. Thank you all involved. Now on to 'Managing Data Analysis'!!

By Gopal I

Sep 03, 2018

Team building is common. Could have cited examples of skill sets needed and how to keep track of changing industry and academia needs for building a team

By Jeffrey B J

Aug 29, 2018

Quick and helpful for starting and supporting a team in an immature company.

By Nachum S

Jul 11, 2018

Good, some of it a bit basic and general

By Elimane N

Apr 20, 2019

Very nice course

By Cédric B

Apr 13, 2019

Little long… If you already managed teams, too much common sense stuffs. Still worth it.

By Carlos A H

Jun 15, 2019

Excellent insight and guidance on essential practices in building a data science team. Area of improvement is emphasizing python more than R as python has become the preferred programming language in data science.

By Shafeeq S

Jan 08, 2019

Good on understanding roles each has to play. but very lengthy to explain those.

By Naim J

Feb 22, 2019

although important. The content is a bit primitive for professionals who have been in the corporate world for more than a decade. It only confirms that team work is essential in any discipline and any practice.