Back to Building a Data Science Team

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Building a Data Science Team by Johns Hopkins University

Data science is a team sport. As a data science executive it is your job to recruit, organize, and manage the team to success. In this one-week course, we will cover how you can find the right people to fill out your data science team, how to organize them to give them the best chance to feel empowered and successful, and how to manage your team as it grows. This is a focused course designed to rapidly get you up to speed on the process of building and managing a data science team. Our goal was to make this as convenient as possible for you without sacrificing any essential content. We've left the technical information aside so that you can focus on managing your team and moving it forward. After completing this course you will know. 1. The different roles in the data science team including data scientist and data engineer 2. How the data science team relates to other teams in an organization 3. What are the expected qualifications of different data science team members 4. Relevant questions for interviewing data scientists 5. How to manage the onboarding process for the team 6. How to guide data science teams to success 7. How to encourage and empower data science teams Commitment: 1 week of study, 4-6 hours Course cover image by JaredZammit. Creative Commons BY-SA. https://flic.kr/p/5vuWZz...
Highlights
Applicable teachings
(79 Reviews)
Brief, helpful lectures
(11 Reviews)

NN
Dec 14, 2017

This course was an exceptional experience where it introduces me to building a data science team, its challenges, nuances and also what kind of approach to take while building and sustaining the team.

PA
Jul 6, 2020

Well Taught Course , loved the lecturer present the information,for you who want to improved your management skill in data science this course can provide the introduction ,REST ? read a book

326 - 350 of 408 Reviews for Building a Data Science Team

By Suman C

Feb 25, 2018

Gave summarized managerial overview.

By naresh

Jan 12, 2017

Easy to understand and very valuable

By TANDLE A K

Jun 2, 2020

interesting courses to learn online

By Clara A R

Dec 26, 2018

I really liked the course structure

By SIVA A M

Oct 14, 2015

Topics are explained pretty good

By Muhammad A S

May 15, 2020

Simple, and full of examples.

By Richard B

Jul 19, 2017

really good practical content

By Onur G

Apr 2, 2018

It covers all the essentials

By Clovis J

Sep 16, 2017

Great ad

By Augustina R

Dec 25, 2016

If you know anything about management, specifically software engineering management, this course won't tell you anything new. It's very high level survey of best practices. I'm currently working as a software engineer on data science problems alone on my team. I wanted some idea of how data science teams are typically structured for when I need to talk about my work to my chain of command and my peers and for interacting with other dedicated data science teams at my company. I feel I got a pretty good idea of that and a better understanding the roles in an ideal team. I also feel prepared for the future if I were to apply for a role on a dedicated data science team. As far as actually building a team myself, I think this course won't really give you that if you don't already have other management experience, but it does give you some insight on the specifics of data science people. Finally, Quizzes could use some review, the answers don't often line up grammatically with the questions. Also the one with the instructor's LinkedIn profile linked doesn't work because LinkedIn covers the content and wants you to create an account. A link to a resume or something might be better.

By Mauricio M M

Jun 30, 2017

I know the course was about Building a data science team but it talked a lot about interactions. I missed a little bit a deeper exploration about those interections. I mean, how marketing or business teams demand data science projects to the data science team? How deep do they have to brief? Also, specially to the data science executive, how to distinct requests that are really for data science experiments and those that are not (and can be executed by "simple" business intelligence analyses)?