Back to C++ For C Programmers, Part A

Learner Reviews & Feedback for C++ For C Programmers, Part A by University of California, Santa Cruz

4.4

This course is for experienced C programmers who want to program in C++. The examples and exercises require a basic understanding of algorithms and object-oriented software....

CA
Dec 19, 2019

I liked it, it costed me a little because I am not a C programmer with big experience, and this course I feel is focused on C programmers that want to know how to "translate" their code to C++

RH
Oct 16, 2016

Just right for programmers seeking to update their skills to the new V11 C++. I recommend getting the book by the author that helps along with a text or Coursera course on Algorithms.

101 - 125 of 544 Reviews for C++ For C Programmers, Part A

By Raúl

Feb 13, 2017

It was great to listen to someone with as much experience as Ira Pohl. I learnt a lot in this course, but it required *a lot* of work on my part. It might still be better than trying to learn totally on your own, but I would have liked a bit more structure and assistance.

The slides showed on videos (not available for download in the session I took) could be formatted better. The concepts were presented too superficially, in my view, and the structure was a bit disorganized. The assignments where difficult in part because they weren't stated very clearly, but they were very interesting and were a great way to learn (or review) computer science courses while learning to code in C++.

Despite these shortcomings I'm glad I took the course and I'm overall happy with it.

By Susan B

For the most part the information was excellent. I really appreciated the short videos, breaking up the material into very short sessions. And having the ability to stop the video and go back or take some time to digest the material and write it down was invaluable. Very different from being in a class or lecture hall where you are writing feverishly trying to catch up with the instructor. I stopped short of 5 stars because there were just maybe 1 or 2 times where I wished I could have asked a question. The inability to contact the instructor or mentor for individual questions is a drawback. But overall this is a very valuable course. I learned a lot.

By SREERAM K V S U

worst on this app there are blocking it while asking explanation i successfully wasted one week thankq for saving my remaining time and blocking me dont refer this course here

By Taran K

Jun 3, 2020

The Questions were easily solvable using the techniques of C language the difficulty should have been more and much more emphasis would have been given on C++ language

By Aakash H

Aug 9, 2020

Good course.

However, I feel like the course could include much more of the C++ concepts in it.

By Debjyoti M

Apr 16, 2016

This course provides good overview graph algorithms. It is not an extensive C++ course though.

By Richard D

Jul 10, 2017

The course provides good information, but I would not say it was the best-designed. The lectures were informative and the programming assignments were challenging, but I wouldn't say the really related to each other as much as I'd like. I would think that the important thing for C programmers moving to C++ would be to learn the exact syntax for how things are done in C++. At times this was lacking. The flip side was I didn't feel that the extended explanations of basic CS algorithms such as Minimum Spanning Tree and Shortest Path was necessary. I knew those algorithms earlier.

But my biggest complaint was the basic inattention. I felt like the course was on auto pilot. At one point a submission of mine was returned. I asked the forum for some kind of assistance or explanation from a mentor and no reply was given. I re-did the assignment and it was accepted but there was still little comment. And at the end of the course, my final assignment was only checked by two graders instead of three.

Was any human actually supervising things? I saw no evidence. Discouraging.

On the whole the least impressive of the four courses I've taken so far using Coursera. Which is a shame b/c it's arguably the most important to me.

By Julien

May 4, 2016

The course content is good. But it needs some polishing...

Major comment:

The assignment submission/review process should be improved. Grading system is not clearly defined at the time of submission. Some grading question are inherently subjective "Is the code at least somewhat efficient?". But even for inherently objective questions "Is the code correct?" (as does it give the correct answer" the staff does not provide the correct answer... I think the staff should create some automated review for what is objective: does the code compile? does it yield the correct answer? is it efficient enough? (Just like many other courses on Coursera) And only when it passes the automatic review, use peer grading for coding style. Finally there a lot of confusion with the deadlines.

Minor comments:

Lucky Coursera has an option to play twice faster! Not that the content is too easy, but the talking ... pace ... is ... hum... very ... ... slow. Also how come for a programming course the slides with code are so poorly formated???

By Nayef C

Dec 19, 2016

Do this course for the assignments and to have something that keeps you on schedule. But be prepared to do your own research on topics.

The professor goes off on pointless tangents forever. C is also supposed to be a prerequisite but then he ends also ends up explaining basic C (prefixing his explanation with you should know this). He then goes into these very specific, typical academic-style examples that he spends time talking about them (again pointless). And then very little time is left to explain the actual new C++ stuff, and he explains it assuming you kind-of know what he's talking about. So you'll have to stop the video and look up the topic online.

By Michal K

Nov 29, 2019

Do not need C understanding to finish that course, Professor tries basically to scare everyone, but you can do that course with no programming background (you WILL struggle a bit) and easily if you have any programming background. Not much C++ learning, mostly Algos. HUGE amounts of mistakes, there is no thorough errata, you have to guess what the hell is happening and what is correct.

Mar 6, 2018

This was more of a "Learn Dijkstra's Algorithm using C++" rather than a "Learn C++" class. I felt like the lectures were more focused on algorithms (Dijkstra's, graph theory, etc) rather than learning about the features available in C++ and when to use them. Additionally, the homeworks were pretty lopsided, with some weeks being very lightweight and others being very intensive.

By Nithish P

Sep 17, 2020

the course needs some improvement, it needs some more technical examples, got to include more , different and intresting teaching methods, and tools like ppts.

the language and method of explaining was very complex, so kindly look into it.

By Ahmed E

Feb 1, 2020

the course lacks concentration on c++ as it most of the time considerate on graph algorithms instead of c++ features and STL I was hoping to finddd more details about C++ 11 and 14 features with examples and assignments

By Niels C

Jun 12, 2020

Five star contents and format of lectures from Ira Pohl.

Peer graded assignments marred by hordes of students handing in plagiarised submissions and rating each other 100%. As well as openly asking for exam answers on the official discussion board. No policing of code-of-conduct.

Passing the course requires you to peer review a number of assignments from fellow students. If you report a submission as plagiarised it is removed from the review queue. At some point there are no more submissions to review. You are then not able to complete you peer reviews and fail the assignment. In the end you have to accept plagiarised submissions in order to be able to do the mandatory peer reviews. System is rigged against cracking down on plagiarised contents.

By Vasu J

May 5, 2020

The teacher is very experienced. No doubt at all. But, there is little structuring of the overall course and it all seems directionless sometimes.

By Kyi S W

Sep 14, 2020

When this course finished, I realized that I had a lot of improvement in the lessons. It is a professional and useful for learners and I recommend to my friends to take this course. Therefore, thank you for Coursera Team and teachers for learning and teaching me this course.

By CHANDANA.R

Oct 14, 2020

The course was very informative an understandable but being a beginner it was difficult to program but the material and lecturing was useful

By Jack S

Sep 17, 2020

Covers a lot of C++ material, and the peer-review assignments are a great way to get exposed to different styles of coding.

By Noah F

Sep 30, 2020

It was very helpful and easy to understand ,special thanks to the Mentor.

By Fahad H F

it was well taught . THANKS PROFESSOR IRA POHL AND thanks Coursera

By Disha K

Apr 29, 2020

This course has many challenging programs to solve. Great teaching.

By Ali B

May 16, 2020

recomiendo el curso esto servira para dar clases en la universidad

By satya s

Jul 20, 2020

nice course for programmers who already have mastered c language.

By Sanghee L

Feb 26, 2017

Great passion, great lecture.

Thank you for your kind explanation.

By Victor G

May 2, 2020

Ira Pohl is a great communicator. I really enjoyed the lessons!