Back to Introduction to the Biology of Cancer

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to the Biology of Cancer by Johns Hopkins University

Over 500,000 people in the United States and over 8 million people worldwide are dying every year from cancer. As people live longer, the incidence of cancer is rising worldwide and the disease is expected to strike over 20 million people annually by 2030. This open course is designed for people who would like to develop an understanding of cancer and how it is prevented, diagnosed, and treated. The course introduces the molecular biology of cancer (oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes) as well as the biologic hallmarks of cancer. The course also describes the risk factors for the major cancers worldwide, including lung cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, liver cancer, and stomach cancer. We explain how cancer is staged, the major ways cancer is found by imaging, and how the major cancers are treated. In addition to the core materials, this course includes two Honors lessons devoted to cancers of the liver and prostate. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to: - Identify the major types of cancer worldwide. (Lecture 1) - Describe how genes contribute to the risk and growth of cancer. (Lecture 2) - List and describe the ten cellular hallmarks of cancer. (Lecture 3) - Define metastasis, and identify the major steps in the metastatic process. (Lecture 4) - Describe the role of imaging in the screening, diagnosis, staging, and treatments of cancer. (Lecture 5) - Explain how cancer is treated. (Lecture 6) We hope that this course gives you a basic understanding of cancer biology and treatment. The course is not designed for patients seeking treatment guidance – but it can help you understand how cancer develops and provides a framework for understanding cancer diagnosis and treatment....

AH

Mar 18, 2017

I am an Undergraduate student and i didnt even read oncology subject, but this course not just start the beginer level , butt gradually it goes in depth and the flow of lectuures and topics is smooth

AK

Aug 01, 2020

Excellent course for anyone interested in knowing more about the origin, diagnosis and treatment of cancer, even for beginners. Thanks to JHU for putting such an excellent course material together!

26 - 50 of 879 Reviews for Introduction to the Biology of Cancer

By Estrella F J

Feb 14, 2019

By Laura W

Aug 13, 2017

This course was overall a nice overview of the material. I found the subject matter interesting and I liked the mix of subjects from biology to clinical methods. I am mainly interested in the biology of cancer, but I found it quite nice to also learn a bit about treatments and imaging. The reason I am only giving it three stars is because I wished that their were some written study materials or some recommendations on further reading or activities to help re-inforce the material in the lectures. The lectures sometimes felt a bit rushed, particularly the ones with a lot of new terminology and it was difficult to feel like I was retaining the information.

By Patricia C

Jan 31, 2018

Good info but very boring professionals.

By Henriette P

May 01, 2016

You cannot do the quizes unless you pay.

By Mohamed S M I

Aug 25, 2017

Well let me thank all the staff for this great, simple, informative course , also also thank you JH school of medicine for the second time for providing such a great course , thanks also to Coursera for accepting the financial aid .

Thanks to " Dr. Pianta's team " you made me very interested in such a branch of medical branches , It is now become a dream to join your team Dr. Pianta , fighting hand in hand together againist such a monster not only threat my Homeland Egypt or Us but also affect a huge number and harvest not a small number all over the world .

You really don't know how you encouraged me to attend lectures and events nearby in the Cancer Institute Of Minia in my city to apply and communicate all knowledge provided here in JH courses with Cancer cases here and their protocols of treatment .

I have a " Recommendation " for you : Now I'm enjoying a wonderful course called " Stories of Infection " also is here on coursera Provided by Dr. Maya Adam from Stanford SCH. Of Med . , briefly the way Dr. Maya Introduces the information in that course is very inspirational " the disease from personal history to the final recovery passing through C/P, investigations and proper types of therapies in the form of wonderful story " .So I'm really looking forward to enjoy such a course provided by your team Dr. Pianta discussing Cases of Cancers and its management .

Finally , always keep up the Excellent work as we used to see from you ^_^

By Sara M A

Jan 16, 2017

I like this course it was so enjoyable helpful to me since I wanted to learn more about cancer biology and I got the perfect opportunity to sign into this course! thanks to all coursera team and Jhons Hopkins university school for giving their time and effort to make this course.

I liked the way of teaching by the doctors. at first, i thought it would be so difficult because I didn't have the right professional background about cancer biology and I wanted to start my own journey into fighting this disease but i didn't know where to start. suddenly, I found that this course and I've signed!

i have some suggestions about this course:

please put serious moderators not an ex-coursera students with some privilege

please put some sizes options for the translation

By Daniel M

Jan 31, 2018

I appreciate that this course covers such a wide variety of topics, but I would love to see more than just prostate cancer examined in further depth in an independent course. I think the first instructor in this course does the best job of breaking down complex concepts into more comprehensive topics. I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to expand their knowledge in how to classify cancers into carinomas, sarcomas, leukemias, and lymphomas (the four general classes caner falls into) and then how to stage them appropriately, staging of the more common types of cancer that occur, or people looking for more information about how cells interact with chemotherapies, immunotherapies, and radiotherapies.

By Sharon B

Jan 13, 2017

I got out of it what I expected as a person who does not work in any medical field. But I did not like the fact that we did not see a person giving the lectures and only the diagrams were visible. Every Coursera course I have taken thus far has always had the instructor visible as he or she lectured. It gave me the feeling of being in an actual classroom setting which I like. There was some information which was well beyond my level of knowledge . I am a college graduate but my degree is in social science. Then there were quiz questions which were on the more advanced information . I passed on my third try though.

By AMANDA J

Jul 25, 2020

I, from the bottom of my heart, be very grateful to all the lecturers and the supporting staff, for their sincere efforts.

All of the lectures were very clear, descriptive and for me, it seemed like a short note. Each lecture started with an introduction from Dr. Pienta and started with the basics and then proceeded towards more information. there were pictures, data and other additional information where necessary. every lecturer did their portion to the best. I learned a lot from this course and would help me immensely in my studies. Thank you very much for your endeavours

By Suthasina C

Jun 19, 2019

Even though I have some difficulty studying this course especially around jargons and language (English is not my primary language and my professional background does not close to medical/ healthcare fields.), I found this course offer at appropriate length, both for course length and time required per week. It is manageable for those who is working, so do not hesitate to join.

I suggest the course to notify that the content is not that easy to understand for the one who does not have medical/ healthcare background just like me. Thank you for the course !

By Antje B

Jun 11, 2020

I took this course as my work as a conference interpreter quite frequently includes clinical trial meetings. Whereas I always found the subject matter hugely interesting, it is often not that easy to research clinical trial related material online as it is not always well publicised, for obvious reasons. I am hoping that with some additional basic knowledge of the therapeutic areas I come across most often in my work, I will become more efficient in my own job of aiding communication about medical progress in a multilingual setting.

By Tejaswini D

Jul 28, 2020

I really enjoyed the course "Introduction to the Biology of Cancer". It was presented in an organized and understandable manner which helped my track my progress. The periodic quizzes helped me to assess my progress and improved my focus during the lectures. The instructors were experienced and taught the concepts in a clear and concise way. At the end of the course, I have a good understanding of the basics of Cancer biology and I feel confident to take more advanced courses that are specific to my areas of interest.

By Rubaiyat

Oct 02, 2016

I loved this course as I found the topic fascinating (the 10 hallmarks absolutely blew my mind - those cancer cells are so conniving!). I think the instructors did a fantastic job delivering the material.

I am a Product Manager in the software industry, and I took this class for my personal curiosity.

I wish we were able to submit the answers to the quiz without officially purchasing the course. I did not purchase the course as it does not pertain to my profession and I do not really need a certification for it.

By Dr N D

Oct 14, 2016

The course was excellent, with very good structure, with the right level of difficulty/complexity, with very good slides & discussions. The only couple of points for potential amendments that I would propose is a) avert from calling/mentioning drugs with their brand names, but rather use the active ingredient names only, and b) perhaps providing resources for further reading (i.e web links etc) to all material after each lecture, like you did for week 6 final lecture.

By Jyotirika Y

Jun 23, 2020

This course helped me to get in depth with what 'cancer' is. We get exposed to 'cancer' as something which is associated with negative ideologies and conditions; however, one is not bothered enough to look into what it actually is and how it affects the lives of people. I have always been curious as to how 'cancer' is formed and in what way it affects the human body in a more descriptive and biological way. It was really educational and informative.

By Babu Y

May 04, 2020

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for the wonderful course package provided by your Team of Members. I finished my certification at the earliest as the lectures and course content was very interesting. It was very lucid and was in brief. I thank the Course Coordinator Prof. Kenneth Pienta for the wonderful streamlining of the course content. Many congratulations to you and your team. It came as a free course for which am very indebted. Thank you all again.

By KAWTHAR A

Nov 09, 2019

I am now able to Identify the major types of cancer

List and describe the hallmarks of cancer

I can differentitate that the contribution of genes to the risk and growth of cancer

Define metastasis and identify the major steps in the metastatic process

I can describe the role of imaging in the screening,diagnosis,staging,and treatment of cancer

And i can explain how cancer is treated

And importantly i can explain how cancer is treated

By Henita C

Oct 13, 2019

The course was very informative and helpful. I had signed up for the certified course but still haven’t received the certificate even after completion, my mail I’d is correct because I’ve received all other mails and some link to verify my name for certification is also not opening. I hope you can look into my complaint and certify me as soon as possible. Thank you for considering. I also look forward to enroll into new courses soon.

By Nesterenko Y

Sep 20, 2016

This course emphasis brief introduction to biology of cancer. Here by simple words and examples you can discover which risk factors can cause cancer and what prevention needs to be done to minimize chance of cancer occurrence etc. I will suggest this course to all my colleges. I am really pleased for passing this course.

I wish all group Introduction to the Biology of Cancer further inspiration to create new interesting courses.

By divya

Jun 28, 2020

I an very thank full to johns Hopkins university, I learned so many things from this course i.e 10 cellular hallmarks and therapy...., especially this course is use full for those who wants to work in research and development and health care professions too and In last video they mentioned some web site -information on clinical trials and different cancers so we can easily access the information from those web site

By Ruchi T

Apr 28, 2019

I would like to thank coursera to consider me eligible for the scholarship. I have completed the course with a cent percent result, hence proving my interest in the subject. The course was beautifully presented and explained by all the professors. It was brief and knowledgeable at the same time. The quizzes after each lecture have helped in clearing the main quiz. The course was all in all very knowledgeable. Thankyou