Back to Measuring Causal Effects in the Social Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Measuring Causal Effects in the Social Sciences by University of Copenhagen

4.2

How can we know if the differences in wages between men and women are caused by discrimination or differences in background characteristics? In this PhD-level course we look at causal effects as opposed to spurious relationships. We will discuss how they can be identified in the social sciences using quantitative data, and describe how this can help us understand social mechanisms....

AA
Jan 10, 2021

This is a challenging course, especially for those who only intend to breeze through the videos alone. Reading the recommended text before and/or after the videos is strongly advised.

M
Mar 11, 2020

Some Reading Materials such as journal articles on similar methods covered in course would have been a great inclusion as a part of the exercises.

26 - 46 of 46 Reviews for Measuring Causal Effects in the Social Sciences

By Baburam P

Apr 4, 2020

The course is very useful for social science researcher. It has introduced some concepts relating to causal relation which are very essential for researchers. However, it would be more helpful if some of the concepts ( IV etc) were explained with real data and examples.

By Luis-Felipe A

Feb 7, 2021

Very good course. Help me to understand some of my previous knowledge of econometrics. I suggest to provide some written material such as sections of textbooks. Additionally, I do not see the syllabus of the course, unless I missed it from the course site

By Tarjei W

Apr 6, 2018

Good course that takes participants from linear regression to RCT and approaches for causal inference in observational data. Four stars are given as some of the quizes include questions on specific estimates from lectures instead of more general aspects.

By ryohasegawa

Apr 21, 2018

Throughout this course, I could deepen my understanding on practical use of statistics for social siceinces. Its simple mathematical proof on estimations methods is useful for practitioners

By Venugopal B

Jul 25, 2016

Material is good

Lecture style is dull, monotonous & uninspiring

For best results - follow the advice given in the MOOC, i.e read relevant readings before viewing lectures.

By Carlos A S

Jul 18, 2017

Very good course! I learned a lot. I missed readings and other complementary material.

By Junxiong Y

Feb 16, 2019

Quite fundamental and basic stuff for causal inference, but it is a good start.

Mar 7, 2021

It will be easier when there's real code assignments in solving cases.

By pureum k

Dec 6, 2016

Great intro to causal effects. Gives great intuition.

By André L R C B d M C

Mar 17, 2021

Every word said was important.

By Lingampelli A

It's good for learning

By Zachary H

Sep 13, 2016

I enjoyed the topic. The lectures could be augmented by breaking them up into more pieces (particularly for Instrumental variables and double difference). It would have been nice if additional (optional) readings were listed to give interested students more direction. I also would have liked to see topics added to the course such as propensity score matching.

By Men H

May 18, 2018

This is an very useful course for me who is studying Health Economics. However, the lack of interaction between lecturer and student makes this course more difficult.

By Emmanuel G

Jul 23, 2016

This give a very good insight into what i did not know earlier. Thank you Prof. Anders Holm. I recommend this course to all all. I did a lot of learning. Go for it

By Tanay M

Oct 15, 2018

The course was enjoyable, though the transcripts to lectures were often incorrect. There was also no support on the forum for questions.

By Jose A M G

Mar 31, 2016

It teaches an interesting topic, but it's a bit hard to follow the teacher. I learnt from the exercises, mostly.

By Shafqat M K

Sep 26, 2020

the course is very useful for research purpose. pls make it more interesting and interactive.

By Dursun D

Jan 21, 2019

Very fast and standard way of sharing knowledge. Easy to understand but diffcicult to digest.

By Xiaoxi Z

Jun 19, 2018

Some notations are not clearly defined.

By pamandeep s g

Dec 30, 2020

Too many typos, especially in initial slides. Presentation style was very verbose. On the good side, the intuitions were well captured.