Back to The Changing Global Order

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Changing Global Order by Universiteit Leiden

How are international power relations changing and how can global peace and stability be maintained? This course familiarizes you with some main theories of international relations, shows how the global order is gradually changing and discusses how selected international and regional organizations contribute to the maintenance of global peace and security. You learn what research findings tell us in terms of the capacity of international organizations and actors to help prevent or stop violent conflict, what tools are used to negotiate agreements and how foundations for sustainable peace are best created. We will also focus on the role of the European Union in terms of diplomacy and efforts to prevent conflict, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and the contribution of organizations such as the African Union to the prevention of conflict and war. We will study the United Nations Security Council and see in which ways its membership could be adapted to more accurately reflect the power relations of the current global order. Through quizzes and exercises testing your knowledge of these subjects, you will understand crucial concepts and get insights into how the academic study of international relations and international organization contributes to the search for global stability and peace in practice....

MP

Nov 29, 2018

Great course, I really enjoyed it! I've learned everything I didn't know i needed to know before the start of my post-graduate degree in International Relations! Would definitely recommend it!

Apr 22, 2017

Undoubtedly one of the best courses. Loved it. The additional readings were really very useful and the lecture content was manageable and interesting. A must try!

1 - 25 of 63 Reviews for The Changing Global Order

By Tofail A

Jun 18, 2019

The Changing Global Order is an excellent course for all of us. Especially its 6 weeks fixed topics will give us a concrete update on changing world scenario.

By ORTHION B

Apr 04, 2019

Je recommande vivement cet enseignement de grande qualité.

By Jairo H O

Mar 10, 2020

Although the course is complete and its speakers and the director of the course are suitable, the course is a bit outdated. I would like to follow the updated course. I know that this is changing and every day there are structural changes, however, there are issues that have fast context, for example, the immediate change generated by migration, the possible pandemic in China that gives a turn of almost 180 degrees to the panorama of the new world order. Thank you very much I learned too much and despite all my comments, which are with much respect I was more updated. Thank you

By Rick a D N V

Aug 03, 2019

If your objective involves getting an overview on basic international relations theories, getting in touch with methods of conflict management such as negotiation and mediation, taking a look at some alternative OIs as Shanghai Cooperation Organisation and Arctic Council, scrutinizing NATO's objectives, and better knowing UNSC dilemmas and reform proposals, this course is an excellent opportunity! Well structured and gathering a very competent team of specialists, "The Changing Global Order" delivers on its promise in a very pleasant way. I really enjoyed it!

By Gibran S C

Sep 29, 2017

I have come to find such a wonderful course! The combination of Prestigious teacher and involving lectures brought an excellent learning environment!

By POON C H

Jul 27, 2019

Very comprehensive and heavily-loaded course that may bring an even outsider having in-deep understanding from the basic political and diplomatic theories and their applications on global happenings in terms of order and power.

It's really tough that many many quiz and test should be passed achieving my certificate. Especially it demands 80% of marks on every interim and final tests. I originally planned to complete this course in 3months, while unexpectedly did it in 7months time.

Really thx Universiteit Leiden, I am proud myself achieving 84.3% overall marks on this course.

By Narayan K

May 10, 2017

It was a fantastic learning experience. I am especially grateful to Prof. Dr. Van den Herik (whose course on International Law, I had completed earlier) as also Prof Rob de Wijk whose lectures were interesting and enlightening and last but not the least to Prof. Dr. Madeline O Hosli for her lectures and inspiration and for the overall content of the course. Thanks once again to all the professors and mentors for this wonderful course.

By Fern T

Jul 16, 2017

Just completed the course (without partaking in the 7th week group assignment) and I found it to be a very interesting, well put together, informative and professional course. The lectures were interesting and the lecturers very enthusiastic. I feel like I have learned so much and am very grateful for the time and effort put into this course. Thank you to the course organisers. I would highly recommend this course to other learners.

By Muhammad H S

Sep 05, 2017

The course offers a mosaic picture of global order, and provides glimpse into foreign policy contours and constructs. The content is well-organised and is taught in a very interactive way. More importantly, faculty is much devoted to the task, that they provided every details to the topic being described and assigned readings were simply fun. For all those of international relations students, I think this course is must-have.

By HARRISON G

Feb 03, 2019

Es un excelente curso donde conocí más sobre las teorías de las Relaciones Internacionales, el cambiante orden mundial, los conflictos, la resolución de los mismos y la seguridad.

Aprendí sobre los Asuntos Mundiales, Organizaciones Mundiales, la OTAN y otras.

Fortalecí mis conocimientos sobre el Consejo de Seguridad de las Naciones unidas y mucho más…

By Bruno P d S

Feb 21, 2019

Amazing course! Very rich content, providing deep analyses of different theories and points of view, and stimulating the exercise of the student's own interpretation and thoughts on each subject. I'm looking forward to participate in another course by Leiden University!

By Marios R

Mar 06, 2020

It is an excellent course with well-prepared material and many resources for additional study. It keeps the learner motivated until the end. Every week's session was informative providing us with an insightful view of different topics. I really loved it!

By Mark N O

Jun 14, 2019

I must confess that it took great determination to complet this course. The starting charter was a baptism of fire understanding theories of international relations. The professor was great and my success in completing is attributed to her .

By Sam B

Jul 23, 2018

One of the most difficult MOOCs taken to date. IR theories take time to wrap one's head around, it cannot be rushed. Fantastic content, engaging instructors, challenging exercises. Universiteit Leiden is top notch! Highly recommend!

By Junaid Q

Sep 09, 2017

The course was very informative; It's very useful to understand the changing global order, international relation theories, the role and character of leading international organizations and new emrging countries. I recommend it.

By Mahendra K D

Mar 05, 2020

It was an excellent course highlighting the power structure that plays a significant role in determining the Global Order. The Professors were quite good, precise and knowledgeable. I feel happy that I could do it successfully.

By Ekow M K

Apr 29, 2019

The course is great, in terms of content and delivery. It has heightened my interest in IR and I'm planning to do that for my postgraduate at Leiden University. And yes, the final exam too was extra challenging 😎

By Melissa P

Nov 29, 2018

By Shakthi V D S

Apr 22, 2017

By Wang, Y

Sep 14, 2019

Very nice course for beginners who wants to enhance knowing about the changing world and important international organizations from European perspectives.

By Müberra G T

Mar 23, 2020

it was a course with a rich content but it may be spreaded to a few more weeks. i learnt a lot! thank you for the content and the great instructors!

By Annesha K G

Mar 17, 2017

I did this course for 2nd time. The course is very interesting & informative. Thank you Coursera & Leiden University.

By Anna L

Sep 27, 2019

A really informative and insightful course, I can't wait to utilize everything I've learnt in the real world. :)

By Mateus M R

Jul 19, 2017

An excellent introduction to the world of international relations, with great teachers and supporting material.