Back to Chemistry

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Chemistry by University of Kentucky

This course is designed to cover subjects in advanced high school chemistry courses, correlating to the standard topics as established by the American Chemical Society. This course is a precursor to the Advanced Chemistry Coursera course. Areas that are covered include atomic structure, periodic trends, compounds, reactions and stoichiometry, bonding, and thermochemistry....

WL

Jul 24, 2016

This is a great course. The primary feature is the number of worked and practice problems. Instead of memorizing, one learns by doing. Short of being in the lab, this is the next best thing.

HM

Mar 17, 2017

This course was intriguing and eye opening for me. It was relevant and broadly useful.\n\nI hope I took the advantage of it and that it will help me in my future learnings of chemistry

1 - 25 of 180 Reviews for Chemistry

By 'Maletsie J M

Dec 30, 2016

I enjoyed every minute of this course and I have learnt so much. Thank you Coursera for this opportunity. I'll definitely recommend this course to my friends and colleagues.

By Silvia C T

Feb 13, 2018

Amazing, it was a complete review of the first 2 years of college, with teacher who made it easy and as fun as it can be

By Fred H

Apr 06, 2018

By far the worst of the many Coursera courses I have taken. The slides, lecture notes, spoken lectures and quizzes are all riddled with confusing errors that make learning a painful chore. That said, the material covered is reasonably comprehensive, so it is still possible to learn something, but only with considerable struggle. If the numerous errata were corrected and the lectures re-recorded, this could be a good course.

By Jeanine K

Jul 31, 2017

This class was really hard! I am studying to pass the chemistry endorsement test for teachers and I have not had a lot of inorganic chemistry. This class was great and introduced me to a lot of the concepts I will need to know. This class does involve a lot of math and dimensional analysis. I would not recommend it to someone new to chemistry. I would not recommend it to someone curious about chemistry. You need to be familiar with algebra and dimensional analysis and have some knowledge of basic chemistry concepts first. I have completed General and Organic Chemistry but it was many years ago and my general chemistry class was very different. This class is awesome if you need to learn some new information to add to what you already know or if you need to regain some rusty chemistry skills!For me, week 1, 2 and 7 were pretty difficult. Weeks 3, 4, 5, and 6 were much easier for me but that could be because I have some basic chemistry knowledge already.

By Tiziana B

Mar 19, 2016

I have never been good at math nor chemistry but the professor explains the various processes in such a simplistic way that so far I passed the quizzes with a perfect score and I have a pretty good grasp of everything she's saying. Granted, I had to watch some explanations more than once but that's just my pace of learning. I'm thankful for this online course and waiting for the certification to become available!

By Nathan D

Aug 16, 2017

I took this course because I wanted to take AP chem at my high school, but needed preparation as i had not taken a chem course previously. This covers almost the same topics as are taught at my school chem class, and I believe it has prepared me well.

By William L

Jul 24, 2016

By Tajana M

Jun 21, 2017

This is a great course! Very well explained! It's managing to keep my attention on 100% and that's not an easy task for anybody. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us!

By Ema D

Oct 18, 2018

Could have been more complex stuff as most of the course was A level chemistry

By Trenacye J

Dec 30, 2017

I have always been super interested in chemistry and the concepts that make it into a science, but there were many things i didn't understand. The instructor of this class is very knowledgeable and has a way she presents the information is already making me go hmmm...i actually understand that. I look forward to course completion and everything that i am going to learn. I'll be taking the next steps this spring and starting a degree in biochemistry...Not so intimidated anymore. Thanks

By Herman P I

Aug 07, 2017

This was a great class. The instruction is very accessible. I've never liked chemistry. I couldn't wait to take the quizzes because after watching the videos and working through the examples you really feel like you grasped the concepts. I thought I might need a textbook to supplement the videos. I've taken classes where I just didn't get enough practice to feel like I understood, but this course has plenty of well worked step-by-step problems. The professor even blows some stuff up!

By Goran H

Mar 11, 2018

Since it was 40 years since I studied chemistry, it was a challange to complete the course, and required much more hours than expected (about 10-14 hours/week). But thanks to the great presentations, and study material, I actually made it! :) Thanks a lot to Dr. Allison Soult, and Dr. Kim Woodrum! I highly recommend anyone interested in chemistry to sign up for this course!

By tenzin

Dec 22, 2016

I really appreciate the developers, professors, and all the staffs who have worked behind this course. It is really a wondeful introductory Chemistry course, well explained and filled with great exercises. The team who answer our doubts in discussion forum reply promptly and with great detail explaination. Thank you so much. Must for any chemistry lover or interested in it.

By Pratyusha M

Jun 26, 2017

Absolutely love this course! The content is very clear, the practice problems are carefully constructed (as well as applicable and challenging) and the video demonstrations make learning chemistry fun to learn. Highly prefer this coursera course over a Chemistry course I'm taking at an actual college. I'm learning so much more from these videos.

By Job Z

Jan 19, 2020

Very nice course, good balance between elementary stuff and somewhat more interesting material. Not just "practical skills", but also interesting insight in some elementary quantum mechanics for atomic structures and the impact on the periodic system. That insight is not just theory, but it is applied later on in the course.

By Hosam A

Jan 14, 2018

As useful as it should be!

Takes you from the very basics of understanding the elementary concepts to the complicated (in ease) with a very reasonable introductions.

Course lectures are supplied with incomplete handouts, so you can interactively participate with your own understanding and learning.

By Jamelah M

Sep 26, 2017

This course was awesome! I haven't taken general chemistry in over 15 years. This course provided thorough explanations and examples to help me relearn many important concepts that are essential to an understanding of general chemistry. I am excited about enrolling in the next course!

By Michal M

Apr 03, 2019

Very good course. I'd like to thank both the lecturers and the mentors on the forum. There were a few errors in the course, but all/most have been incorporated in the errata. I can't wait to start the advanced course. Thank you once again, and hope to see more courses from this team.

By Robert W I

Nov 16, 2016

I wanted to give a four-star rating because of the fact that I couldn't grasp quite a few things, but then I remembered that it was just me. They explained everything very well, I would very much recommend this course for anyone seeking knowledge on Chemistry.

By Luis G

Jan 27, 2019

This is the best chemistry course I have taken. The course is very well developed, with step by step explanations, in addition to the teachers explain very well the chemistry topics that are complex.

I congratulate its creators for this great course.

By Alicia V T B

Dec 14, 2017

Opino que es un curso más excelente que he visto en toda mi vida, aprendí nuevos métodos científicos ya que soy estudiante universitaria de la UNJFSC, mi carrera es de ingeniería química. Muchas gracias por sus enseñanzas, me sirvieron de mucha ayuda

By Dotan S

Jul 04, 2017

Excellent course. Good knowledge must be built on strong foundations, and this course provides such foundations. The problems are explained in a very detailed (but not exhausting) manner, and the course is structured just right. Thank you very much!

By José A J H

Apr 05, 2019

This is a very good introductory chemistry course. The lectures are interesting and the student has the opportunity to perform lots of problems. The degree of difficulty is adequate for an introductory course so you will go through it easily

By Asrorkhuja O

Nov 06, 2016

I was really bad at chemistry to be honest and didn't like this subject somehow. With this course I am starting to love it, lesson are taught very clearly and explained in detail. Yeah, it's true that you don't like what you don't know :)

By Ipsita R

Jun 18, 2017

I Liked this course a lot. Though I wish Dr. Allison Soult can learn from her senior faculty about the art of teaching. Her voice lacks enthusiasm unlike her co faculty Dr Kim. Otherwise an excellent course for refreshing memory.