Back to Write Like Mozart: An Introduction to Classical Music Composition

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Write Like Mozart: An Introduction to Classical Music Composition by National University of Singapore

This course introduces students to strategies for style writing of common practice European art music. The issues of harmonic progression, voice leading, and texture are addressed in addition to relevant compositional concepts like repetition, variation, and elaboration. The course aims to offer a creative space even within the restrictions of stylistic emulation....

UK

May 29, 2018

this course helped me a lot. The instructor is really interactive and i really recommend this course for anybody looking to learn classical music composition

Jun 18, 2016

An excellent lecture by Peter Edwards but couldn't attend it due to academic pressure.Hope will get similar courses in the near future.Thank you

1 - 25 of 81 Reviews for Write Like Mozart: An Introduction to Classical Music Composition

By Chi W J

Nov 07, 2017

Very comprehensive details course. Suitable for students who need to refresh their Harmony knowledge and composition skill.

By Sam T

Jul 19, 2016

This is an excellent course and it really pushes you hard to learn Classical Composition. There are a few problems, however.

Minor quibbles:

1) The instructor does not really explain Parallel Perfect Fifths or Octaves; I had to look them up on my own. They deserve a whole lecture.

2) One of the assignment solutions has a Parallel Octave by contrary motion, which is not supposed to be allowed.

3) He also neglected to explain the Harmonic Minor Key being used for minor chords in his Lecture 0 of Week 2. Just a very short explanation would have saved me 40 minutes of stressful researching, confusion, and doubts about my own sanity ;)

The biggest problem:

This course should really be an 8- or 12-week course. The weeks are very densely packed. In Week 2, I worked 3-4 hours every day, and then was greeted by 11 classes due in 7 days when I opened Week 3. The assignments are rated 10 or 20 minutes but actually take about 2 hours. It would often take me thirty minutes to an hour to get through one 5-15 minute video. (I do take detailed notes and do recall and mnemonic drills along the way, however). If you are already solidly grounded in music theory and have much of voice leading on autopilot, this class is faster.

That said, I would not want him to cut out anything. Every class so far has been necessary. It has taken me from almost 0 musical theory understanding to feeling very comfortable with advanced concepts, all in an extremely short time.

If you try to complete all of his video examples just before he does them, they work like a charm. I came here to get solid skills, and Just three weeks in I feel like I have made a years' worth of progress.

I highly recommend this course, but know the kind of work you are getting into.

By Emma R ( P

Jan 19, 2018

very helpful

By William S

Jan 30, 2018

Great course. Excellent teacher. The course is well thought out, concise, understandable and efficiently covers a lot of material.

By Zohar S

Feb 28, 2019

The course is good for getting a first experience in writing harmonic progressions. However, the main problem with the course is the peer-reviewed assignment. Since not many students are taking the course, the system couldn't supply four students' assignments to review, thus I had to search the forum for assignments to review (students who pasted links to their works and asked for reviews). In order to review four works, I had to search for assignments that were handed in more than a year ago... By the same token, not many students reviewed my work. Maybe replacing the peer-reviewed assignment with a final quiz would work better for this course.

By Gládiston d S C

Dec 28, 2018

Thaís course Washington excellent, thank you Very much!

By Morganne A

Apr 01, 2019

Very helpful review. I have graduate entrance exams coming up, and I don't want to be placed in a graduate harmony review class. This course is a good refresher, and the professor is clear and articulate.

I would not recommend this to someone who does not already have at least a bit of music theory background. At the very least students should already read treble and bass clefs, know intervals, diatonic chords, the major scale, and various forms of minor. The professor lets students know what knowledge he already expects in the opening lecture.

If you are struggling with voice leading in an undergraduate theory class, this course would be a great supplement.

By Yogesh T

Dec 21, 2018

What an approach towards composition

By Mauricio I F B

Sep 10, 2018

Muy completo, buenas explicaciones. Se aprende mucho en el Curso.

By Emma L

Aug 12, 2018

It was very basic in my opinion, though very enjoyable and informative! I would love for there to be a more advanced version of this course in the future, also including some romantic era composition.

By Alexander M

Aug 30, 2018

This is an excellent course. I learnt so much! I write electronic music and while I knew the basics of music theory I was not sure how actually to come up with a cord progression or harmonize the melody.

The course really make a huge difference for me. I can now read music from staff and compose chord progressions easily.

I like especially guided practices and home assignments.

By Julio M G J

Oct 11, 2018

Incredible course! I've learnt more than I could possibly imagine! The best course I've ever enrolled.

By Danila G

Oct 24, 2018

This is an advanced in-depth course that will make you feel a real music theorist. Make sure you are fully familiar with the material of introductory courses in Music Theory and have no difficulty with reading chords and their inversions to make most use of it!

By Jeremy

Jul 22, 2017

The course was a genuinely excellent introduction into Common Practice era compositional techniques. As a practicing musician with no compositional experience, I found the course excellently paced - demanding, but achievable and the course leads up to composition of a non-trivial piece in the style of Mozart et al. Thoroughly recommended for those who are interested in learning the fundamental principles of Common Practice (classical) era composition.

By Robert D

Aug 14, 2016

This is an excellent course. I cannot imagine better coverage in six weeks. Peter Edwards is a first class teacher and I hope he will do some other MOOC on a musical topic - I would certainly join it. The course has been an introduction that has already helped deepen my understanding of this period of music, and it has given me the desire to study these matters more fully.

By Béatrice A

May 22, 2016

The course is complete and clear (even better than the one in my conservatory ) I hope there will be course on orchestration ,even if it is paid I would take it ,thank you so much professor Edward.

By Angelina W

Sep 05, 2016

Contains a lot of information for the short course time, but well worth taking even if you can't complete all of the work. It applies a lot of music theory, so consider it the hands-on practice for all of those theory lectures you might have taken.

By Renny G L

Dec 06, 2016

Great course!

By Williamnayeri

Aug 18, 2016

If you know harmony it's Excellent!if you don't know it's good but difficult!

By suresh s

Jun 18, 2016

By Iane K A Q

Sep 11, 2017

No doubt, this course gives you nothing but excellent learning. Thank you Coursera

By Léo S

Sep 07, 2016

Absolutely fantastic, Edward is a wonderful pedagogue, thank you so very much for this course

By Daniel

Nov 24, 2016

Very Good, Excellent

By Brad

Jun 20, 2017

Very helpful course. I would love to see one from the lecturer on more advanced counterpoint and fugue.

By Pearl S