Back to Protecting Public Health in a Changing Climate: A Primer for City, Local, and Regional Action

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Protecting Public Health in a Changing Climate: A Primer for City, Local, and Regional Action by Johns Hopkins University

This course is an introduction to the multiple ways our changing climate affects global population health, and to promising policy and practice responses. More intense storms, heatwaves, and rising seas mean many, particularly the most vulnerable, now face growing risks of weather-related injury, illness, mental stress and even death. Because people care deeply about health outcomes, public health has great potential to convey the urgency of reducing greenhouse gas emissions and adapting to a warmer, more unpredictable climate. The main message of the course is that public health must therefore “lean in” and become a more central player in climate change mitigation and adaptation. Because climate-related health risks happen mainly at the local level, the course focuses on cities – increasingly key players in climate change policy. Starting with an overview of the science consensus suggesting we have 10-20 years to prevent risks associated with exceeding 1.5°C of global warming and put in place adaptive policies, the course provides interactive lectures, expert interviews and case studies that build practical knowledge. In the final assignment, participants apply course tools and strategies to a city of their choice, preparing them to contribute to climate mitigation and building health resiliency in their own local context....

DC

Aug 16, 2019

This course was incredibly informative and perspective-changing. I feel better-equipped to address and mitigate the impending challenges of climate change on a local and regional level.

WJ

Feb 16, 2019

You and your classmates will be asked to provide a score for each part of the assignment. Final grades are calculated by combining the median scores you received for each section.

1 - 6 of 6 Reviews for Protecting Public Health in a Changing Climate: A Primer for City, Local, and Regional Action

By wany j

Feb 16, 2019

By Daniel W

Jan 25, 2019

I thought the instruction and lecturers were great. I also enjoyed the final project which helped me understand climate adaptation plans from a more practical standpoint.

By Eliseo L H

Jun 10, 2019

It is an interesting course that helped me to learn about action can Health Professional, Civil Organizations or Health Ministries do to improve our live in cities among others.

By Dominica C

Aug 16, 2019

By Nancy K

Oct 01, 2019

As someone who is interacting with Public Health matters, and in this case fused with climate change, both of which were new to me, at the moment I have a very good insight and this has sparked a greater interest in me in as far as this subject matter is concerned! I am honored and do not regret taking this course.

By Nadia A

Sep 20, 2019

A nice overview of the topic and a good exposure to novice learners. This course broadened my understanding of the process behind policy making and communication in climate change. I particularly enjoyed looking at the issues from a public health lens.