Back to Introduction to Communication Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Communication Science by University of Amsterdam

Since Antiquity, scholars have appreciated the importance of communication: as social beings, we cannot exist without communication. We need to interact with people around us, to make sense of the world and to position ourselves in a wider social and cultural reality. In this course, we look at how and why communication evolved as a science and reflect on today’s dominant paradigms. The course also extends beyond the boundaries of communication science itself, exploring dimensions of history, sociology and psychology. Join our class, together with people all over the world. Introduction to Communication Science explores some of the basic theories, models and concepts from the fields of mass, interpersonal and intrapersonal communication. The course begins with a consideration of several basic models, subsequently progressing to the history of communication theory, linear effect-oriented theories, the reception approach and, finally, exploring theories on the production and reinforcement of culture through communication. Upon completion of this course, students should: • have knowledge of the history and development of communication science; • have knowledge of the dominant theoretical approaches within communication science; • have knowledge and understanding of the most important models and concepts in this field. Beginning the week of February 16, 2015, you will be able to join Signature Track, a system that verifies your identity when you take an exam. This option will allow you to earn a Verified Certificate, which provides formal recognition of your achievements in the course and includes the University of Amsterdam logo. Before then, you can complete a “test run” of the exam. You can then re-take the exam after the Verified Certificate becomes available. For information regarding Verified Certificates, see https://courserahelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201212399-Verified-Certificates"...

ZK

Mar 05, 2020

It is wonderful course. I found that teaching methodology and exam every thing was perfect. My best wishes are for the Coursera as well university of Amsterdam for preparation of this useful course.

LS

Feb 21, 2017

This course was incredibly delightful and very helpful, as a media and communication student, this course widened the information I had and helped me with my home university courses. Thank you!

26 - 50 of 325 Reviews for Introduction to Communication Science

By Tom R

Jan 01, 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The course material clarified many of the things I had learned during my years working in the communications field. The supporting material was excellent, the videos were well done, helpful assignments and the final exam was an excellent review of the course material.

By Sheinna M C

Coming from a science background, this course helped me understand how different media reports Covid-19 news all over the world. Aside from the current pandemic, it also helped me understand how we communicate; made me recount similar experiences as the presented examples in the theories.

By VARUN N

Apr 13, 2020

the course was very informative and helpful , it really helped me understand the concept of communication and the different way it can be used , and how it can be used to influence and persuade people , the professor had great knowledge on the subject , he explained the concepts very well

By Gert C P

Sep 10, 2018

Fantastic Introduction and wonderfully laid out when I did it. I enjoyed learning about communication and how noise and coding/decoding will stifle communication as well as how understanding these concepts will help people overcome barriers resulting in better, clearer communication.

By Florentina C

Aug 20, 2015

I really enjoy participating in this course. It is very well structured and explained so that one can easily remember and put on a timeline the different historical, sociological and scientifically aspects of the communication. I recommend it to all working in the field.

By Atokia T

Apr 18, 2020

I WILL BE GREATFUL TO OUR BELOVED TEACHER. HE TAUGHT ME VERY WELL. I HOPE THIS COURSE WILL HELP ME A LOT IN MY FUTURE STUDY. THANK YOU SO MUCH.ONE MORE THING I WANT TO SHARE THAT, I FOUND THE LESSONS OF WEEK -2 HARD. IT WAS HARD FOR ME.OTHERWISE, EVERYTHING WAS OKAY.

By Mainá P P R

Dec 04, 2016

This course transmited good examples, and taught us to think about the media, in general, and the paper it has in our lives. But I think the more important thing was that our teacher taught us how to construct a different way to look at the world aroud us. Thank you!

By Rohit N

Aug 18, 2015

It has been great enlightening experience with this subject, I never knew such depths of this matter before I completed this course. Communication is the basis for success or failure for topic. I thank you courser & University of Amsterdam for bring this course

By Daniel K S d L

Aug 10, 2020

Excelente curso, ideal para quem não tem noções do tema e também para quem já conhece um pouco, ou estuda a área. Grande quantidade de conteúdo relevante, de forma bem explicada e com testes que realmente colocam em prática o que foi apresentado. Parabéns.

By Jana A

May 14, 2020

Really well planned, structured course with lots of ideas that can be developed and researched further. Also tests are quite challenging and demands a real understanding of the subject as most of the questions are not that straight - forward. Thank you!

By Jiajia X

Mar 16, 2016

I think the difficulty of the course and progress is very suitable for beginners, you can see very attentively when producing, I looked up some information in learning, think that teacher is very clear. So this course I'm very satisfied, very happy!

By Bernadette T E T

Feb 19, 2020

This course is well-structured and easy to understand as the content is broken down into bite-sized information. The notes done for the first two weeks are especially helpful in learning how to format my own notes for my own revision and learning!

By IOANNA B

Aug 04, 2019

If you are familiar with social sciences theories, you will find it highly interested to learn new and even adapt your already known theories from similar sciences like phycology, sociology. It was easy and really interesting. Great introduction!

By Daria B

Sep 29, 2016

It was an awesome course with very relevant material from different scientific perspectives. I am really happy that I took this exactly course. Thank you for fantastic presentations, notes and interactive discussions. It was a real pleasure.

By Pooja I

Sep 02, 2015

really helped in clearly understanding the various theories of communication as a concept. thank you for developing such a wonderful MOOC. waiting for some more courses from the University of Amsterdam so that I can learn something else.

By William H R

Oct 26, 2015

The bulk of the material in this course intersects many disciplines (history, philosophy, psychology). Almost all of the material and information was new to me -- and I found each lesson interesting.

So much value offered for free.

By 韩梅

Sep 27, 2015

This course introduces some basic but important concepts and theories of communication. It fits new leraners even through they knew nothing before. And most importantly, the doctor is so wit and helpful that I like the class best.

By Catalina G R

Jun 10, 2019

A very creative course, full of valuable information shared through a dynamic and attractive method, practical and easy to follow. It was very interesting! I learned a lot and I want to continue taking courses by this platform!

By Maxim S

Sep 08, 2015

Really interesting course. Useful and applicable in marketing, branding and public relations. Also good for those who want to expand their understanding of mass media and socio-cultural influence on each and every of us.

By SongWanlu

Aug 16, 2015

Fundamental but really inspiring courses, extremely helpful for starter and those want to enhance their basic theoretical learning of communication.

Clearly explain and expand the concepts of communication theories.

By Sinethemba D

Jun 28, 2020

This course was very interesting as I have learnt a lot of information that I did not know about communication. I will also be able to use my knowledge in the future. I benefited a lot from studying this course.

By Trang

Sep 22, 2017

A great course for those who not only just begin learning about communication but also want to dig deeper to this field. The lessons include images, explanation helping learners approaching more effectively.

By Olivia J

Nov 25, 2015

Excellent introduction to the subject - clear, concise and engaging. A very condensed overview of the key topics, which is exactly what I expected/wanted, and presented in a friendly and enthusiastic way.

By MIRZA A U R

Jul 07, 2020

I have learnt alot from this course everyone should participate and this kind of courses are helpful in careers every institute should take these courses in there respective short term vocational syllabus