Back to Computational Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Computational Neuroscience by University of Washington

This course provides an introduction to basic computational methods for understanding what nervous systems do and for determining how they function. We will explore the computational principles governing various aspects of vision, sensory-motor control, learning, and memory. Specific topics that will be covered include representation of information by spiking neurons, processing of information in neural networks, and algorithms for adaptation and learning. We will make use of Matlab/Octave/Python demonstrations and exercises to gain a deeper understanding of concepts and methods introduced in the course. The course is primarily aimed at third- or fourth-year undergraduates and beginning graduate students, as well as professionals and distance learners interested in learning how the brain processes information....

JB

May 25, 2019

I really enjoyed this course and think that there was a good variety of material that allowed people of many different backgrounds to take at least one thing away from this.

CM

Jun 15, 2017

This course is an excellent introduction to the field of computational neuroscience, with engaging lectures and interesting assignments that make learning the material easy.

51 - 75 of 134 Reviews for Computational Neuroscience

By Alex U

Aug 02, 2017

With a extremely rich content, this course is a challenge for students, even for those with maths, ML or neuroscience background. The course requires students to master knowledge of these three fields, but it will prove that it DESERVES the efforts.

By Benjamin S

Mar 17, 2018

Awesome course, awesome introduction to the mathematical backgrounds as well!

By Eduardo L

Feb 16, 2017

It was a great experience. Thank you very much you all.

By Marta M

Mar 11, 2017

It was by far the best course I've taken on Coursera. For someone not dealing with math in their everyday life it could have been a bit challenging, but I really enjoyed watching how math, physics and neuroscience use the same concepts and how various models can be interchangeable.

Main subject was super-interesting, but I also enjoyed how it showcased how mathematical concepts can be used and applied. It's really disappointing that such approach is not that common in formal education many of us have received... For such interesting topics you presented I would go back to university and learned differential equations once again, seeing some purpose in them at last. I always knew that mathematics is a beautiful language, but during my education no-one showed me such profound and exciting problems to express them in it.

The instructors were great and guest lectures were fun as well. I am almost regretting choice of my everyday computer science career when hearing about problems you get to solve :) Thanks a lot! This was definitely one of the best online courses I've seen and time spent on it was not wasted.

By Richard B

Nov 11, 2016

Excellent overview of the different areas of computational neuroscience taught by engaging academics.

By Maxim Y

Sep 17, 2017

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful knowledge with the world!

By masih f

Apr 05, 2017

this course is perfect for who wants to get familiar with computational neuroscience general concepts.

By Maxwell G

Mar 16, 2017

I loved this course. It is an excellent introduction to the realm of Computation Neuroscience. The lecturers presented the concepts clearly and effectively. Dr. Rao was especially great. However, those looking to take this course should have some knowledge of Differential Equations, Calculus, Linear Algebra, and either Python or Matlab before taking this course.

I had not taken very much Calculus or Differential Equations prior to taking this course, and I had to do a fair amount of external research to understand some aspects of the lectures.

The professors who teach this course do a great job of explaining the concepts and ideas of the topic, rather than just reading lots of formulas. They break the math down to help the viewer intuitively understand what each one is doing. Someone taking this course who doesn’t not have that solid of a math background will have some trouble, but the course won’t be impossible. A bit of Programming experience with either Python (2 or 3) or Matlab, however is a must.

By Adam E

May 22, 2017

Comprehensive and challenging.

By Andrés Z

Apr 18, 2018

By far one of the most complete MOOCs in the subject. Highly recommended.

By AmirHossein E

Mar 26, 2017

This course is an absolute must for those interested in computational neuroscience. The professors are very knowledgeable and the course is very rigorous. The techniques introduced in this course are useful and the supplementary material is enough to last for you months of reading on this topic.

By Manya A

Apr 03, 2017

Excellent course, very clearly and well explained, suitable for beginners. Also, Rajesh's sense of humor makes the course very enjoyable :) Highly recommended!

By Ravinder S

Jul 26, 2017

Loved this course and will give me direction in grad school however a lot of the information still ending up being over my head, even after watching supplementary videos. This may be a fault of my own instead of a fault of the class. Really enjoyed the first/last teacher.

By Aditya V

Dec 12, 2017

loved it ...learned alot

By 刘仕琪

Mar 11, 2017

The teacher is funny!

By Efren S

Dec 12, 2017

Just amazing! This course has made a great impression on me and rekindled my love for physics.

By André M

Nov 20, 2016

Excellent course, looking forwards to going back over the lectures and consolidating what I've learnt. Big word of thanks to Rajesh and Adrienne, but also to TA Rich Pang, who does an excellent job getting you up to speed on the maths. Very excited about what I've learnt in the course and the way it's made me look at neuroscience in a new and richer way.

By Nilosmita B

Jul 26, 2017

Its a fantastic course for any one interested in the computational neuroscience field.

By taiping.z

Nov 17, 2016

It is an excellent overview course of computational neuroscience and a wonderful introduction for beginners who want to join in computational neuroscience research.

By 钱琨浔

Apr 28, 2017

very helpful

By Daniel B

Dec 02, 2016

Phenomenal course. My background is in mechanical engineering, but all the biological concepts were explained clearly and concisely. I wish a bit more modeling in Matlab was done, but overall I'm very pleased with the course. A solid background in linear algebra, statistics, and some basic calculus is recommended to get the most out of the course.

By faisal k

Aug 03, 2018

very effective course for Researchers

By saurabh k p

Oct 20, 2018

Amazing Course with difficult challenges , hats off to professors :)

By 潘宜城

Oct 24, 2018

nice course which teach me about what neurons can do and how can we model them with mathmatics

By Krishnakanth A

Nov 04, 2018

Very interesting and well organised course.