Back to Contemporary Russian Literature

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Contemporary Russian Literature by Saint Petersburg State University

We are going to talk about Contemporary literature specifically, but it doesn’t include only the literature of the most recent years. It is technically a course on the history of literature, but the history starting from the late Soviet period up until today. The goal is to show you the best writers’ names, so that you may remember them and read their works after the end of this course. The course will show you the tendencies that were developing in Russian literature in last 25 years, and finally to come to it’s present state, in this way forming a journey across the vast sea that is called Russian Literature. Good luck!...

1 - 6 of 6 Reviews for Contemporary Russian Literature

By Marina D

Jun 14, 2020

Very comprehensive course and very knowledgeable professor! I was inspired to take this course by trip to St. Petersburg last summer, and to its famous bookstore Dom Knigi. I had already started trying to find and read contemporary Russian works in translation when the pandemic created enough time to take a course. This course is great for students with some background in contemporary literary studies who have read the basic Russian classics in translation. The course provided an excellent overview of literary trends in relation to historical/political developments of the last 50 years in the USSR/Russian Federation. I was familiar with about half of the required reading before the course, but was delighted especially to make the acquaintance of Tatiana Tolstaya and Mikhail Shishkin. I also want to find as many of the new writers mentioned in the last few units as are available in translation. The new realists and the regional folklore-based writers sound especially fascinating. I'm left with two unanswered questions, though: why is Erofeev's work called a poem, and Sokolov's a novel? And what the heck is the meaning of the Okkervil River in Tolstaya's story? :)

By Gládiston d S C

Aug 23, 2020

Boa noite, meu nome é Gládiston, sou brasileiro e moro em São Paulo, Brasil. Sou professor da rede pública e resolvi fazer este curso porque é muito importante pra minha formação contínua. Os conteúdos aprendidos serão muito úteis para as minhas aulas. Gostei de todos os módulos do curso, pois cada um abordou o tema de uma nova perspectiva. Agradeço, profundamente, pela oportunidade, pois, certamente, poderei contribuir para formação de seres humanos dignos e responsáveis.

Good evening, my name is Gládiston, I am Brazilian and I live in São Paulo, Brazil. I am a teacher in the public network and I decided to take this course because it is very important for my continuing education. The contents learned will be very useful for my classes. Enjoy all the modules of the course, as each one approached the theme from a new perspective. I deeply thank you for the opportunity, for I will certainly be able to contribute to the formation of worthy and responsible human beings.

By Emmanuel B

Mar 28, 2020

Meaningful and inspiring. I liked the short lessons. All in all very interesting ! Though I might suggest that the transcription should be carefully checked. I guess it was somehow automatically done from the audio source : it sometimes totally obscures the meaning when reading and misses the point (difficult to get names or locations for those who are not acquainted with russian), but the positive aspect is that it forces you to really focus to listen to understand.

By John D V

Jul 13, 2020

Very comprehensive in the scope of the contemporary field of Literature output past and present. I wish there was a bigger emphasis on modern political literature and its relation to the Contemporary field.

By Чеховских Н К

It is a really interesting course!

By Alice M