Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

ND

Aug 08, 2016

Excellent teaching, be aware the meat of this course is in the interviews. If you read and watch them then the assignments are self-explanatory. The discussion boards were however a disappointment.

51 - 75 of 302 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Lynnette O

Feb 02, 2017

I had no idea how much I didn't know! I enjoyed the class and felt like I learned a lot. Thank you!

By Claudia

Aug 06, 2017

Wonderful course with tons of suggestion to make your characters memorable! The assignments were difficult but I enjoyed the challenge. Looking forward to the next one!

By Sarwaswa

Mar 22, 2018

It was overall a terrific course which really made me to think things especially Week 2 and Week 3.

Great peers .

I always felt they gave me legit review for my work.

I look forward to come across all of you in next segment.

By jayne

Oct 22, 2016

This course has been unbelievably useful. It has exceeded my hopes. It is well taught and the assignments have really challenged me. I have learnt just as much by reviewing the work of others. Thanks so much.

By Greg Y

Feb 12, 2017

Really great advice on writing character. I have a toolkit I can use now that I think is quite powerful. Thanks Amy.

By Rachel M

Jan 21, 2017

I truly have learned a lot, especially understanding more about my strengths and weaknesses

By Cecilia F

Nov 06, 2017

Extremely interesting and valuable course!

By Clémence C

Feb 08, 2018

The teacher is so good, so clear, that everything sounds logical and easy to apply.

By Heather F R

Aug 13, 2016

Excellent course. Looking forward to starting the next one.

By Tina M

Jul 31, 2017

I learned so much, it's hard to pick just one thing. In conjunction with the other courses I feel as though my writing has evolved. I am excited to start a new project.

By Azlin

May 21, 2018

Very concise and great tips and notes from Amy Bloom. The interviews and guests conversations helped as well. I had a bad experience with peer review and reported it, but had not heard what consequences were brought against him. The "wtf" added on peer reviews should not be tolerated and that student should not be accepted for a period. This is a learning environment to encourage learning a craft, developed thoughts and understanding. It is not a place for vulgar, rude and negative peer reviews, and coming from someone who also is taking a course to learn the craft or subject. I hope this student is ultimately been kicked out and not accepted for several courses, whether he is a paying student or otherwise, otherwise, the integrity of Coursera and Wesleyan U is not one I would want to associate with, nor do I want anyone else to.

By Erinn J

Mar 16, 2018

Fantastic class that really helped me organize the way I create and develop characters.

By Maria-Isabel C

Dec 06, 2017

I highly recommend this course for the beginner writer. Ms. Amy Bloom is a great writer and lecturer! I really enjoyed the way she guided the course and how she presented this subject. It was easy to follow and definitely encouraged me to continue preparing myself to become a writer. Thank you!

By Jack H

May 16, 2018

Really enjoyed this particular module since, not only do I KNOW a lot of characters, I AM one. This course made me become more aware of mannerisms, cultural and behavioral differences and similarities, plus the results and implications of how these characters inter-mesh with one another. Politics and households mirror one another and I am NEVER without a notebook and pencils since beginning this module. Now almost everyone I see gets captured in the notebook. INCLUDING THE INSTRUCTORS ! They are truly interesting personalities and I enjoyed their Shoptalk segments a lot. It is a great program.

May 15, 2017

Great course! Best quality writing class I have taken in years. The specialization is amazing. Thank you.

By Shweta B

Jun 11, 2018

Its fantastic specially the assignments are very good and help you understand your skills and weaknesses

By Goher I P

Nov 18, 2017

It was simply wonderful and awesome course. Amy is a fantastic instructor.

By Morgan

Jun 03, 2018

Really interesting practice tasks

By Molly G

Jul 09, 2018

Brilliant!

By Marianna M

Mar 26, 2016

One of the better and most in-depth courses in this field.

By Luana B

Jun 19, 2016

The course was great. I really liked the way the teacher explained about the characters, it was really helpful. Also, I like the fact she suggested a lot of books to read about characters.

Last, but not least the assignments to do were really interesting. I suggest this course to anybody who is interesting in writing.

By Iris R

Jun 29, 2016

Thank you.

By Pedro C V

Mar 27, 2018

Great and useful writing program

By Phillip L

Sep 22, 2016

I very much enjoyed this course, and found it to be very useful and effective in improving my writing. The format of interviews with different writers iengaging and interesting. The most valuable part was the weekly writing assignments, and the peer reviews. The feedback I received was very useful to me, and I found that giving feedback to others also helped to advance my own insights and understanding.

By Arturo N R

Jul 24, 2016

Great inspirtation for practice writing