Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

ND

Aug 08, 2016

Excellent teaching, be aware the meat of this course is in the interviews. If you read and watch them then the assignments are self-explanatory. The discussion boards were however a disappointment.

76 - 100 of 301 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Ana C O G

Apr 22, 2018

Absolutely loved it. Thank you Amy!

By Carlos A M

Dec 30, 2016

I loved how Amy Bloom gives us advice about writing believable, complex and alive characters. The course was excellent in every aspect. I loved the peer-reviewed assignments, the video lectures and the interviews. Definitely, one of the most useful courses out there to learn about characters!

By Eneida A M

Nov 02, 2016

In this course I learned how to build characters traits and bring them to life. I also learned about POVs and the difference between them. I wrote, rewrote and did it! A special thanks to Amy B.

By Santiago C

Mar 31, 2016

It is a really good course, i've got some problems with the task, because it was a bit difficult for me as my native language is Spanish, but despite that, it went all good.

By Rochelle S

Aug 25, 2016

Just as good as the others in the Creative Writing specialization. Try them all!

By Vimala

Sep 05, 2016

Just finished watching all the videos and it is excellent!

To say, 'well done' to any bit of good work is to take hold of the powers which have made the effort and strengthen them beyond our knowledge. Phillips Brooks

By TJ S

Jul 05, 2018

Don't shy away from the challenging course material contained within, especially in Module 2. If writing was easy...y'know where this is going.

By Aisha K

Jun 30, 2016

Excellent scaffolding of exercises to provide a broad intro aspects of character development. Enjoyable, meaningful, and great teaching methodology!

By Viktoryia

Mar 29, 2017

Amazing!

By Evita K

May 17, 2018

It's very insightful and beautiful. Helped me hear and become my characters.

By Jenny B

May 01, 2018

I found the tasks in this course quite challenging but pleased I persevered and grateful for some great feedback.

By Esther M

Nov 03, 2016

Good job Brando.

By Chloedale C C

Nov 20, 2016

I feel very inspired especially learning from the interviews. Even when I know I can't afford the course, just watching and listening to the videos is enough for me. The videos are educational, hinting famous stories that I would love to read.

By Jerri L L

May 17, 2016

I have enjoyed Amy Bloom's lectures and guidance on character. I feel as if I'm making different choices in the words that I use now, as well as focusing more on characters and how they can move (or not) a story. The assignments really helped me to lazer in on specific language that helps to illuminate character.

By Ajay C

Nov 16, 2017

Very interesting lectures and assignments.

By Jocelyn Q C

Apr 18, 2016

Excellent, well-prepared professors!

By adriene j

Jan 31, 2018

Supremely challenging in a terrific way. Amy Bloom top notch. Student reviews tremendously helpful. Try it. You lose nothing!

By Sonia F

Sep 01, 2017

I've learnt a lot on this course specifically about character. I'm enrolled for all of the courses, as they are complimentary and some of the suggestions and tricks really make the difference to how I look at writing now. Thanks to Amy Bloom and her guests!

By Charles T

Jun 14, 2017

--The videos were very interesting, especially the discussions with other writers.

-- The four exercises were worthwhile and challenging--perhaps too challenging for some of the participants, based on the pieces I read. Note that two hours isn't nearly long enough to do most of these exercises if the objective is to produce a piece that is both well thought through and well written.

--I found the peer reviews to be highly variable in quality.

-- Some textual material should be included in the course. We can always cut and paste the transcripts of the lectures--but why not provide easily accessible lecture notes? And there should also be instructional materials other then the lectures.

-- The questions asked of the peer reviewers are good ones. They would provide useful guidance in dealing with the assignment. Why not give them out along with the assignment?

By JOHN Q

Jun 25, 2016

great course!

By Florencia P

Oct 16, 2017

Extrordinary!!!

By Ana S A C

Aug 13, 2016

Great material to rethink what you are working on and how to approach your characters

By Jenny J G L

Feb 16, 2018

Very interesting course. I've learned a lot. The best part of this course is the challenging exercises!

By Berta-Isabel C

May 23, 2018

The course is very interesting.

I learnt a lot in it.

It has got very interesting interviews and assignments.

Very useful for me!