Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

ND

Aug 08, 2016

Excellent teaching, be aware the meat of this course is in the interviews. If you read and watch them then the assignments are self-explanatory. The discussion boards were however a disappointment.

151 - 175 of 301 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Amanda C

Sep 05, 2016

Excellent experience. Instructor was very informative and the peer feedback was very helpful.

By Sarwaswa

Mar 22, 2018

It was overall a terrific course which really made me to think things especially Week 2 and Week 3.

Great peers .

I always felt they gave me legit review for my work.

I look forward to come across all of you in next segment.

By jayne

Oct 22, 2016

This course has been unbelievably useful. It has exceeded my hopes. It is well taught and the assignments have really challenged me. I have learnt just as much by reviewing the work of others. Thanks so much.

By Greg Y

Feb 12, 2017

Really great advice on writing character. I have a toolkit I can use now that I think is quite powerful. Thanks Amy.

By Rachel M

Jan 21, 2017

I truly have learned a lot, especially understanding more about my strengths and weaknesses

By Cecilia F

Nov 06, 2017

Extremely interesting and valuable course!

By William I H

Sep 15, 2017

Loved the lectures and the assignments have improved my writing. It's a course, like the Plot course, that I can see myself retaking and it being just as useful. Would love to see a follow-on set of writing classes here too ;)

By Dima M M R

Oct 18, 2017

Very challenging, pushes your ability and limits of creativity

By Clémence C

Feb 08, 2018

The teacher is so good, so clear, that everything sounds logical and easy to apply.

By 张凯

Aug 07, 2016

I like this course. I have done some good job and at the same time I can feel some disadvantages of myself. I learned how to find, create a character and how to make them alive.

By Lily

Jan 26, 2017

very great

By Abhinav T

Jan 19, 2017

Amy Bloom covers a very difficult topic of craft of character in her course and she does it really well. The course is very well designed and Amy explains everything in so much detail. My only feedback is that at least few of tools and methods should be explained to students as a beginner will have an extremely difficult time in creating characters.

By Claudia M

Jun 28, 2018

I loved the course and the Professor Hosting

By Matt D

Jul 05, 2017

Amy Bloom has a way about her that makes it very easy to receive her information, to take it in and digest it. There is a bounty of excellent teaching in this course, a variety of different perspectives on how to sculpt characters that I would've probably never encountered otherwise. Thanks, Amy!

By Lori B B (

Nov 29, 2017

This is a very good course for the beginning writer. I would recommend it highly!

By Shweta B

Jun 11, 2018

Its fantastic specially the assignments are very good and help you understand your skills and weaknesses

By Goher I P

Nov 18, 2017

It was simply wonderful and awesome course. Amy is a fantastic instructor.

By Molly G

Jul 09, 2018

Brilliant!

By Morgan

Jun 03, 2018

Really interesting practice tasks

By Bharti J

Apr 09, 2018

Great course and interactive platform. Just one hitch! I would prefer to have the hard copy of the certificate as required by a Publishing house to get a job.

By Isabelle S

Mar 26, 2018

This is a really interesting course with fun, challenging assignments. I really enjoyed Amy’s lectures and the interviews with published authors were fantastic too. The course included lots of useful examples from literature. And the course covers more than just superficial characters, unlike some other courses, it really delves into what makes characters and their stories tick.

By Matthias N Y

Mar 21, 2018

I leaned many things I didn't know before. Many Thanks Amy Bloom. I liked the way you were speaking very slow and softly. You have in mind the English language skill of all students, especially those from Africa. I highly appreciate your style. Thanks Mum, you inspired me to be a writer.

By LEEEEEO

Jan 29, 2018

要是有中文翻译就更棒了。。。

By Jennifer T

Apr 16, 2018

Amy Bloom is such a wonderful speaker! Love the videos about crafting vivid and memorable characters. The peer reviewed assignments are challenging and fun.

By Donald S P

Jun 14, 2018

very interesting exploration of the components of character, and the discussion of voice, etc. Loved it