Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

ND

Aug 08, 2016

Excellent teaching, be aware the meat of this course is in the interviews. If you read and watch them then the assignments are self-explanatory. The discussion boards were however a disappointment.

176 - 200 of 298 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Ramona K

Oct 29, 2018

This gave me a new perspective on Character and I believe it will help my characters become more true to life than they have been.

By Shirley B

Nov 02, 2018

Excellent course - I have learned so much. Thank you to the awesome teachers

By Brigitte P

Nov 19, 2018

Love this course. The videos were well presented and explained and the assignments were good practice.

By Lisa K

Oct 01, 2018

This course is wonderfully crafted; the assignments were creative and challenging, the lectures deeply knowing, expressive and, of course, articulate, and I love Amy Bloom.

By Christine W

Sep 17, 2018

I got out of this module exactly what I put into it. While the videos do a reasonably good job of outlining a basic understanding, I found that I wanted more info, especially as concerns POV. For some reason, omniscient 3rd person was a tough concept to grasp. But I've since learned that POV can make or break a story, particularly if you don't know which one you're using and/or keep fluctuating from one to another.

By Carmen L B

Jun 13, 2019

With this course, I gathered a strong sense of how to develop a character for a story or scene.

By Ricardo P

Jun 30, 2019

In this course, Amy Bloom teaches students the different ways of creating a character, whether by observing family members or friends or creating them from scratch—this course goes into detail on what it takes to craft convincing characters and understand them so that the reader is persuaded into believing their goals and actions. The course also goes focuses on the narrator's voice and the many different points of view that a writer can use (first person, third person omniscient, etc). This is a good entry level course for beginners who want to gain an understanding of character creation basics. The assignments were thought-provoking and really helped with putting into practice the concepts laid out by the videos. This Course is meant for writers that are just starting out by allowing them to develop setting, dialogue and actions for in-depth characterization of people in a story.

By Hui J H

May 23, 2019

Auditing this course was a great insight to many writers' own method and approach to the ideas of character, dialogue and voice! It was incredibly informative and I will be trying these suggestions out in my own writing exercises. Thank you team!

By Tulia G

May 07, 2019

Excellent course for having the first insights about the different kind of narrator, learning about how to build background and subtext in order to show our characters trough details, actions, and locations. Thank you!

By Javier S C V

Nov 03, 2019

Thanks! I liked so much. The exercises were awesome!

By Mohd F

Oct 08, 2019

I learnt so much about the developing of characters and Week 4 about Point of view is incredible. Glad to take this course.

By Tabitha R B

Sep 23, 2019

Got a LOT out of this one. I've really started to have the proverbial rubber meet the road, I'm discovering my voice better as a writer. Thank you so much for all the information you provided in this course!

By Vishal M

Oct 16, 2019

It was an interesting and in depth course. The resources are good and especially how to ask questions to create a compelling characters. Its worth a shot.

By Eliana H

Nov 01, 2019

It was an amazing experience, I learned a lot with all the material. The teacher and the professionals in the interviews were really helpful to advance and of course the other students opinions in the assignments makes me improve myself as writer, thank you so much for this oportunity.

By selamawit s

Nov 10, 2019

Absolutely worth it! Thank you

By Sarah A

Nov 11, 2019

This is a good opportunity to practice various ways of developing a character.

By Sandra D

Jan 29, 2019

The course could have been delivered better, but I enjoyed the challenging assignments.

By Inés K

Jan 05, 2019

I found this course a little less enthralling than the other three, mostly due to the fact that the videos lacked the interactive element that the other courses had, and due to the fact that there was a lot of repetition in what was being said. Contents was interesting, and I loved the assignments, but the whole thing lacked a little pep.

By Anusha N

Feb 08, 2019

The course is intense, in fact MUCH more intense than the course on plot. I felt challenged and inspired to complete the assignments. Peers reviews were exceptionally objective and therefore helpful. What I felt was lacking was in Week 4 of the course - the section on points-of-view in narration. External reading to understand the different voices of narration and voices of narrative are highly recommended. Would have appreciated more help from the instructor in that particular week.

By Darci C

Jun 01, 2016

Prof. Bloom was very interesting to watch and listen to. The course was well organized and free of technical issues, but it didn't seem quite as thorough a discussion of the topic as the plot course was. Very close to 5 stars.

By Mohammad S

Jun 25, 2017

The assignments tend to be very confusing, I understand that they make sense for making characters, the difficulty might just be with the characters, but they are quite confusing.

By Victor F A

Oct 04, 2016

Excellent course!

By Eve B

Dec 02, 2017

I really enjoyed the lectures of the course and found Amy Bloom to be an informative and relatable writer and lecturer. The assignments were a bit odd, in my opinion, but maybe that's the way writing assignments are in general?

By Ritupriya G

Apr 20, 2016

Very insightful .Thanks

By Federico B S

May 30, 2018

Character is one of the most difficult aspects of fiction writing and I think this course does a good job of getting you to understand it. It would definitely benefit from some additional mandatory readings. Parts of James Wood's How Fiction Works would be right on the money.