Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

ND

Aug 08, 2016

Excellent teaching, be aware the meat of this course is in the interviews. If you read and watch them then the assignments are self-explanatory. The discussion boards were however a disappointment.

101 - 125 of 309 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Mariana

Mar 14, 2016

Wonderful! Very informative. Filled with examples, literature and very interesting interviews! Thank you so much! You're a great teacher!

By Yvette H

Oct 24, 2017

Really loved this course but the assignment instructions could be simplified. I cut and pasted them then added bullets to sort them out.

By James H

Dec 29, 2016

Excellent course. It regenerated my creativity which is what I hoped for and it cleared up some confusion I had about point of view.

By Ramona K

Oct 29, 2018

This gave me a new perspective on Character and I believe it will help my characters become more true to life than they have been.

By Aruna N

May 07, 2018

Really useful materials and exercises, working through the question of characterisation in a systematic and thought-provoking way.

By Giovanna A d C

Nov 09, 2016

Is too bad that for those who can't pay can't be evaluated on the assignments. But the whole course is very good and interesting!

By Berta-Isabel C

May 23, 2018

The course is very interesting.

I learnt a lot in it.

It has got very interesting interviews and assignments.

Very useful for me!

By Sam ( D C

Mar 06, 2016

I am learning a lot, particularly that I can write up to several thousand words per day; not just words, but meaningful words.

By adriene j

Jan 31, 2018

Supremely challenging in a terrific way. Amy Bloom top notch. Student reviews tremendously helpful. Try it. You lose nothing!

By Mohd F

Oct 08, 2019

I learnt so much about the developing of characters and Week 4 about Point of view is incredible. Glad to take this course.

By Varnika K

Jan 29, 2017

A pleasure to have learned under such accomplished writers and teachers. Thank you. A beautifully well conducted course.

By Greg Y

Feb 12, 2017

Really great advice on writing character. I have a toolkit I can use now that I think is quite powerful. Thanks Amy.

By Roy N

Jan 08, 2018

This course challenged me and my process for developing characters. It provided me new perspectives on how to do that.

By Khemchand S

Jan 25, 2017

Learning a lot, improving my writing, enjoying the assignments, and meeting new people. What a wonderful experience.

By Jenny B

May 01, 2018

I found the tasks in this course quite challenging but pleased I persevered and grateful for some great feedback.

By Cristofer C L

Aug 08, 2016

This course was very helpful in showing us how to create characters that writer and reader both can really know.

By Najwat R

May 31, 2018

Excellent course that teaches you the nuances of character, point of view and narration. Highly recommended.

By Juanita J W

Oct 05, 2017

Enjoyed the material and content which was challenging. I end this course with r more pieces to develope.

May 15, 2017

Great course! Best quality writing class I have taken in years. The specialization is amazing. Thank you.

By Shweta B

Jun 11, 2018

Its fantastic specially the assignments are very good and help you understand your skills and weaknesses

By Donald S P

Jun 14, 2018

very interesting exploration of the components of character, and the discussion of voice, etc. Loved it

By Jenny J G L

Feb 16, 2018

Very interesting course. I've learned a lot. The best part of this course is the challenging exercises!

By Brigitte P

Nov 19, 2018

Love this course. The videos were well presented and explained and the assignments were good practice.

By Frankie W

Mar 08, 2019

Amy Bloom was amazing. I loved her style of teaching. I would absolutely take a class with her again

By Lynnette O

Feb 02, 2017

I had no idea how much I didn't know! I enjoyed the class and felt like I learned a lot. Thank you!