Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 10, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

N
Sep 25, 2020

The course was very well-structured and challenging. The instructor is very experienced and good, thus used relevant materials for this course, be it the guests, or the assignments, or the examples.

376 - 400 of 459 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By BAVISETTY V P

May 8, 2020

Very good course..i loved the way the instructor handed this course.Especially,i felt the tips she had given were Gold.

By Fernanda d C S

Jun 15, 2020

I would like to have notes from the teachers as well (not just from the students).Some further ideas or highlights.

By ALESS D

Jan 25, 2021

good exercises, opend to questions and organized but with a lack of diversity in the ways they explain concepts

By Max H

Jun 29, 2017

the assignment descriptions are very confusing so I'd recommend looking into the forums for help. decent videos

By Ali N

Sep 19, 2018

Enjoyed the lectures, but the assignments were poorly explained and definitely could have been better.

By Tanya D

Aug 22, 2020

This course is very informative, however, I do wish that quizzes were a part of these courses.

By Sandra D

Jan 28, 2019

The course could have been delivered better, but I enjoyed the challenging assignments.

By Esther Z

Jul 30, 2019

A little boring at times but lots of valuable information on how to build a character.

By Brooke B

Jun 17, 2020

Great course, but I do wish the actual instructors gave their feedback on your work.

By Erick A

Oct 24, 2020

Muy buen curso, te da todas las herramientas básicas para crear tu personaje

By Robert M H

p

beings

By Margot R M

Jun 8, 2016

Liked this course. It helps to make sure character is central to the plot

By Ma. C D

Oct 14, 2018

Somtimes the assignment instructions were hard to understand.

By Shreyashi K

It was an amazing course, helped me hon my writing skills.

By Madhu K S

Jul 23, 2018

Liked the course. Assignments were not very clear to me.

By Norrarat S

Sep 21, 2017

great course ! help me a lot on my fantasy novel writing

By Elsa W P

May 31, 2017

I enjoyed the exploration, and the writing exercises.

By Sumit S

Oct 30, 2018

Great and helpful.

10/10 would recommend

By Pawee S

Jan 8, 2018

nice lectures and lesson activities

By Adonay O G

May 4, 2020

Very demanding, I'm worn out.

By Ritupriya G

May 30, 2019

Very helpful :)

By Vidhi D

Aug 13, 2020

I have quite a bit to say about the course.

Firstly, I know that there are delicate nuances and such to writing good, memorable characters, and the instructor has explained them pretty well, but I feel that the technicalities required to actually begin writing somewhat-good characters, and even those required to finish the requisite assignments were barely touched upon. The explanations seemed vague at the very best.

Secondly, about peer review. I reviewed over 30 assignments, and it is safe to conclude that many peers didn't understand the instructions or the grading rubric. For the former, one could say that the instructions were confusing and difficult to follow through for someone just starting off with creative writing. Moreover, many peers were just not interested in giving fruitful feedback and left words like "good," "." and the like. So that didn't help much.

Apart from these two points, the course was enjoyable. Thank you for reading.