Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 10, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

N
Sep 25, 2020

The course was very well-structured and challenging. The instructor is very experienced and good, thus used relevant materials for this course, be it the guests, or the assignments, or the examples.

401 - 425 of 437 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Emilio M L

Dec 2, 2020

I honestly didn't learn a lot more than in the first course of the specialization. Some of the assignments were a little off-putting to me.

By Sara A

Mar 18, 2018

The assignments are hard to understand and not well explained. They are also completely irrelevant to the lessons of the week.

By Davide P

Sep 26, 2019

Has been a great course but I would have loved more readings and a little bit more formal rules to sketch our own characters.

By Laura B

Dec 8, 2018

Good information in the videos. The assignments were difficult and didn't seem related to the material from the lectures.

By stanislava o

Sep 23, 2018

I liked a lot of what was said. I wish I had some more concrete advice for building character - if such a thing exists.

Nov 16, 2017

Great material but students grading other student's work becomes a problem if they can prohibit another from passing.

By Valarie K

May 12, 2016

Good course, but assignment instructions were difficult to understand at times and no examples were given.

By Sanelisiwe E M

Nov 1, 2016

This course is beneficial to all those who struggle with character plot. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

By Stephanie E

May 18, 2017

In the second course, the talks were not as useful for the assignments, particularly in week 2.

By Hector M C L

Mar 6, 2018

It is good but I think the lectures are a little disjointed from each other and the exercises.

By Digby D

Dec 3, 2017

Adequate intro course. Could gather roughly the same info with a bit of browsing the internet.

By Paulene A

May 29, 2017

This course could use some work, but nevertheless I learned a bit more than I already knew.

By ABHIRAJ S D

Jul 21, 2018

the assignments were poorly worded which is the opposite of the purpose of assignment

By Jorge T

Aug 8, 2016

The excercises on the course are great, but the videos can be a little vague.

By Jill B

Sep 9, 2016

Excellent lectures. Assignments were a little too "exercisey" for me.

By Jeff

Jan 13, 2019

Content is great, but the app is very buggy and difficult to use.

By Houda A I

Aug 24, 2018

There parts that were rather confusing in Week 2 (assignment)

By Vishal B

Jun 11, 2020

Instructor is not very good

By Camille B

Mar 28, 2019

Helpful, but not very much.

By Emily F

Jun 21, 2016

I didn't find this course particularly helpful or useful. I'm not sure why, there was a disconnect somewhere, I think maybe that I didn't receive the help that I feel I still need on the subject of how to create a great, memorable, believable character. Also, some of the assignments were confusing. Nothing really stands out about this course, and it was actually a bit boring and I don't feel I learned anything related to the subject. Everything about this class needs some work: the videos, the instruction/syllabus/content, and the assignments. Sorry, I didn't like it. =(

By Aiden T N

Nov 29, 2016

I am honestly not a fan of Amy's teaching style. She seems to have a discussion with herself about character building techniques but not really explain the technique nor structure it for the student.

There are too many shop talks.

I would rather have a structure explained to me and then hear a discussion... the way Brando Skyhorse does in the Plot course... really a let down. I will have to buy the book she keeps averting I guess... after spending quite good money on the course already. Pity

By Janhavi D

Sep 25, 2020

I think this course is the least efficient out of all others. The course material is good, the lecturer is well informed but there is no coordination between the lectures and the lecturer whatsoever. The week's planning is inefficient, there's no relation between the assignments and the syllabus, and the author only ever conducts shop talks and invites guests. I do not mean the least disrespect to the lecturer at all, just that they could've offered a more thought out and planned course.

By Monika C B

Mar 15, 2016

I didn't find this module very helpful and some of the assignments were truly confusing. I wish there was more "meat" in the sessions and more availability to access the lecturers more readily when there was confusion. I don't like the fact I pay money for other people to "assess" my work when half of them don't even read my submissions properly. Or the question. Or both. So if the lectures don't stretch me, I find my money spent unwisely.

By Pritika P

Dec 17, 2017

I found the assignments very challenging to understand as there was very little clarity in the way they were written. Had to constantly reach out to mentors and forum discussions to actually understand what the instructor wanted.

Overall, I did not enjoy this course as much as I enjoyed the other three courses of this series.

By Amanda Y H

Nov 16, 2017

The instructor did very little teaching and spent much more time interviewing other instructors from different courses. The instruction regarding character development was not very useful compared to the insight provided in the Craft of Plot course. I do not feel I got very much out of this course.