Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

NF

Nov 25, 2019

The information I need to craft compelling characters. Wouldn't have learned this information just by reading books! Amy is an excellent instructor, and the work is challenging but not unreachable.

26 - 50 of 309 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Alfred K

Nov 27, 2018

Amy Bloom is everything you will want in teacher. Character was never known until I started this course. Who is the character in the story, what quirks, beliefs, normal or abnormal behaviour do the show? I learnt a lot from this course and keep renewing my knowledge when ever \i fell the need to.

It was fun and enjoyable. Thank you Amy.

By chris j b

Mar 01, 2019

Amy Bloom is such a caring, conscientious, nurturing teacher, who addresses the class (via video camera) as if only speaking to you. There's a kind of intimacy to her teaching style, and her sincerity and expertise at expressing concepts and examples of character craft allowed her teachings to truly "seat" in my mind. Thank you, Amy.

By Ayako

Dec 05, 2019

it's been hard for me at the beginning then I started writing real characters so easily. I learned a lot from this course and from the stories my peers have written. Thank you so much.

I just have a comment about the second assignment, the description wasn't clear enough so, it'll be nice if you can edit it a little bit.

By Luana B

Jun 19, 2016

The course was great. I really liked the way the teacher explained about the characters, it was really helpful. Also, I like the fact she suggested a lot of books to read about characters.

Last, but not least the assignments to do were really interesting. I suggest this course to anybody who is interesting in writing.

By Jerri L L

May 17, 2016

I have enjoyed Amy Bloom's lectures and guidance on character. I feel as if I'm making different choices in the words that I use now, as well as focusing more on characters and how they can move (or not) a story. The assignments really helped me to lazer in on specific language that helps to illuminate character.

By Kelly D W

May 05, 2016

This was a great course...so much detail and she asked to many questions that it really makes you think and then helps you to determine how to apply it to your story. Amy Bloom was very easy to listen to and learn from. The assignments were thought provoking and definitely helped me to hone my writing skills.

By Lisa D

Jun 08, 2018

I think this is a phenomenal class that really helps you get into the head of your characters! I love all the amazing writers that are brought in through the Coursera community to teach and lecture! I really felt like I have pushed myself and learned something through taking these classes! Outstanding.

By sebastien m

Sep 05, 2017

This course was great for stretching me into area I was looking to improve on. I knew from my writing I needed to get out of doing certain habit because it seemed monotonous to read. Amy did a great job of jarring me from my ruts. I think this has opened up my writing a bit more also. Thank you Amy.

By Maria-Isabel C

Dec 06, 2017

I highly recommend this course for the beginner writer. Ms. Amy Bloom is a great writer and lecturer! I really enjoyed the way she guided the course and how she presented this subject. It was easy to follow and definitely encouraged me to continue preparing myself to become a writer. Thank you!

By Matt D

Jul 05, 2017

Amy Bloom has a way about her that makes it very easy to receive her information, to take it in and digest it. There is a bounty of excellent teaching in this course, a variety of different perspectives on how to sculpt characters that I would've probably never encountered otherwise. Thanks, Amy!

By Cornelia B

Jan 23, 2019

Amy Bloom's way of taking you right down to the essence of things brings a debth to your understanding of creative writing and ups your work. Her focus in the course on character and how to reveal this critical part of your writing is an essential tool any aspiring writer should have. A must do!

By Carlos A M

Dec 30, 2016

I loved how Amy Bloom gives us advice about writing believable, complex and alive characters. The course was excellent in every aspect. I loved the peer-reviewed assignments, the video lectures and the interviews. Definitely, one of the most useful courses out there to learn about characters!

By Elspeth H

Mar 21, 2016

The course was very helpful in navigating new ways to approach character building and finding their voice. Along with the other classes in this specialization, I feel anyone looking to improve on their writing should take this course to build stronger stories and write believable characters.

By Matthias N Y

Mar 21, 2018

I leaned many things I didn't know before. Many Thanks Amy Bloom. I liked the way you were speaking very slow and softly. You have in mind the English language skill of all students, especially those from Africa. I highly appreciate your style. Thanks Mum, you inspired me to be a writer.

By Eliana H

Nov 01, 2019

It was an amazing experience, I learned a lot with all the material. The teacher and the professionals in the interviews were really helpful to advance and of course the other students opinions in the assignments makes me improve myself as writer, thank you so much for this oportunity.

By Ibrahim N

Nov 24, 2016

I don't know how to thank Amy Bloom for this course. Her positive aura and the help of the other writers taught me a lof things about creative approaches for creating a character and all other stuff about character creating. Thank you very much. I'll continue to the specialization.

By Catherine C

May 14, 2018

I already submitted a request for financial aid for creative writing specialization I don't know why it's not enabling me to access the homeworks please help me :( The financial aid was approved for this specialization why is it that they only let me access the first one??? :-(

By Jose A P M

Jun 29, 2017

The interviews with professional writers are great! It's good to listen to people who are working with their minds and points of view and how they use that to create. Professor Amy Bloom has a great pedagogic skill. She asks the right questions and gives us great explanations.

By Annette B

Mar 14, 2016

Another 5-star Wesleyan University creative writing course. Again, if you want to submit assignments and receive feedback from peers, this is not permitted if you're auditing the course. That aside, this course helps you consider character development on a more complex level.

By Ole D J

Feb 19, 2018

Awesome course.

Can feel the missing pieces slowly fall together in my writing for every assignment.

So happy this and the other related courses were made available on Coursera.

Will mention the author as well as this course in my first book if I manage to get it published.

By Sonia F

Sep 01, 2017

I've learnt a lot on this course specifically about character. I'm enrolled for all of the courses, as they are complimentary and some of the suggestions and tricks really make the difference to how I look at writing now. Thanks to Amy Bloom and her guests!

By Hui J H

May 23, 2019

Auditing this course was a great insight to many writers' own method and approach to the ideas of character, dialogue and voice! It was incredibly informative and I will be trying these suggestions out in my own writing exercises. Thank you team!

By Holly M

May 30, 2018

The second assignment is a bit confusing, but check the forums and it's better described. I loved the other assignments. I wish there was a bit more "teaching" and less interviews with authors. I loved learning about dialogue and point of view.

By Chloedale C C

Nov 20, 2016

I feel very inspired especially learning from the interviews. Even when I know I can't afford the course, just watching and listening to the videos is enough for me. The videos are educational, hinting famous stories that I would love to read.

By William I H

Sep 15, 2017

Loved the lectures and the assignments have improved my writing. It's a course, like the Plot course, that I can see myself retaking and it being just as useful. Would love to see a follow-on set of writing classes here too ;)