Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 10, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

N
Sep 25, 2020

The course was very well-structured and challenging. The instructor is very experienced and good, thus used relevant materials for this course, be it the guests, or the assignments, or the examples.

126 - 150 of 437 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Swapna B

Jul 23, 2020

I love the course. The teaching and the teachers are both amazing. I will fulfill my dream of being a successful author and this course is helping me in that.

By Nowshin N N

Jul 1, 2020

I enjoyed this course. learned a lot and made many mistakes, along the way this course taught me how to engage with your own character and that is the fun part.

By Elizabeth G

Jun 9, 2017

This was very helpful. More so, than plot. The feedback I received from my peers was better. I realized the power of POV. I also learned about looking at scenes

By Bharti J

Apr 9, 2018

Great course and interactive platform. Just one hitch! I would prefer to have the hard copy of the certificate as required by a Publishing house to get a job.

By arya k s

Mar 8, 2018

Loved this course. It has been designed in a way that makes you think at characters from different perspectives. It drives into making healthy writing habits.

By September L

Jan 11, 2021

I got so much out of this particular course. I loved the guest authors, even ordered some of their books. I feel like I got tremendous value here. Thanks!

By Jennifer T

Apr 16, 2018

Amy Bloom is such a wonderful speaker! Love the videos about crafting vivid and memorable characters. The peer reviewed assignments are challenging and fun.

By Matthew J G

Sep 6, 2017

I truly loved the tasks in this course. Also, the community found in the forums contributed to a noticeable progression of interesting topics and courseware.

By Donna P

Nov 21, 2019

I enjoyed this course because it gave me a bit of a challenge. The lectures were short, sweet and to the point which allowed me to do them in my spare time.

By Vishal M

Oct 16, 2019

It was an interesting and in depth course. The resources are good and especially how to ask questions to create a compelling characters. Its worth a shot.

By Savita B

Sep 7, 2017

Very good course, including excellent input from the teachers, and, in my opinion, some challenging assignments, which enable the student to learn more.

By Anthoni R

Jun 1, 2020

Great way to introduce writing character and how to embody those characters. Amy Bloom is a brilliant, welcomed voice in the ear of an aspiring writer.

By Victoria S

Dec 28, 2018

All of the Creative Writing courses have been helpful to me in grounding me in my writing practice. I cannot thank you all enough for this experience.

By Raul N C G

Dec 21, 2018

Good course and interesting exercises. The instructor tackled the course in a bit different way that works fairly well for the course and its content.

By Trish S

Nov 8, 2016

This course offers great ideas and tools on how to make a character more 3D. Helpful links are offered and the discussion boards are very well done.

By Thangella S

Aug 12, 2020

The course is short and to the point and the assignments are also creative and challenging! Thank you Wesleyan University for such wonderful course!

By Aisha K

Jun 30, 2016

Excellent scaffolding of exercises to provide a broad intro aspects of character development. Enjoyable, meaningful, and great teaching methodology!

By Polina K

Feb 23, 2019

I learned a lot thanks to this course. The teachers are wonderful, and so is the information provided. I can feel my writing improve. Thank you:)

By Perri Z

May 31, 2017

I enjoyed listening to and reading each assignment's parts , all relevant and added more to my own learning perspective in developing characters.

By Hiobi H

Sep 5, 2017

Merci une fois de plus pour ce cours très très instructif. Les enseignants m'aident à poursuivre mon projet de littéraire actuellement en cours.

By Donna R

Oct 12, 2020

The craft of character was very enlighten and gives you the knowledge of creating characters and giving them an identity to be place in a story

By TJ S

Jul 5, 2018

Don't shy away from the challenging course material contained within, especially in Module 2. If writing was easy...y'know where this is going.

By Emily H

Mar 4, 2020

Really great video examples and writing prompts. Peer reviews have been insightful and I've enjoyed reading other's work. Great series so far!

By Abrar A A

Mar 20, 2018

I love the professor. Her tips and lessons and also the assignments.. They were quite challenging and took time to understand.. but I loved it

By Victoria

Dec 5, 2017

Great exercises that are very effective. A well-taught course with clever instruction designed to get you to the heart of writing character.