Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 11, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

NF

Nov 25, 2019

The information I need to craft compelling characters. Wouldn't have learned this information just by reading books! Amy is an excellent instructor, and the work is challenging but not unreachable.

126 - 150 of 309 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By james r

Mar 21, 2019

I see a marked improvement in both my confidence and skill as a writer from each of these classes.

By Renee C W

Sep 06, 2018

Insightful lectures and great assignments that challenged me as a writer, further honing my craft

By Shalini N

Jul 17, 2018

Great course! Nice assignments! Makes you really think through different aspects of your writing.

By Aprielle T

Aug 30, 2018

I learned a lot from this course which will definitely help me with my writing and career goals.

By Claretta T W

May 01, 2016

I enjoyed the pace of this course and the constructive feedback I received from fellow students.

By Angelo B

Mar 20, 2016

I love writing, and even if English is not my mother tongue this course is enjoyable and useful!

By Carmen L B

Jun 13, 2019

With this course, I gathered a strong sense of how to develop a character for a story or scene.

By Esha B

Mar 07, 2019

Have learnt many new tricks and Amy Bloom's talks are absolutely wonderful! Thank you so much!

By Amanda C

Sep 05, 2016

Excellent experience. Instructor was very informative and the peer feedback was very helpful.

By Debra T

Jun 13, 2018

Professor Bloom was so great and full of invaluable knowledge. I learned so much, thank you!

By Rachel M

Jan 21, 2017

I truly have learned a lot, especially understanding more about my strengths and weaknesses

By swapna g

Nov 13, 2019

I enjoyed the course. Would have loved it more with a few readings along with the videos

By Homer W

Aug 06, 2018

"The Craft of Character" is a basic building block to understanding character narration.

By Erinn J

Mar 16, 2018

Fantastic class that really helped me organize the way I create and develop characters.

By MP

Aug 13, 2017

Excellent course. I enjoyed how the instructors brought the content together.

By Carol W

Nov 08, 2016

Great course, the instructor provided insights into what makes a character interesting.

By Ana S A C

Aug 13, 2016

Great material to rethink what you are working on and how to approach your characters

By Michelle D

Mar 31, 2017

Outstanding: Provides many tools to help the author better tell their story. Yeah

By Brian D

May 09, 2016

Very good course, gave a lot of insight on writing and specially about the character

By Clémence C

Feb 08, 2018

The teacher is so good, so clear, that everything sounds logical and easy to apply.

By Lori B B (

Nov 29, 2017

This is a very good course for the beginning writer. I would recommend it highly!

By Rochelle S

Aug 25, 2016

Just as good as the others in the Creative Writing specialization. Try them all!

By Sarah A

Nov 11, 2019

This is a good opportunity to practice various ways of developing a character.

By Shirley B

Nov 02, 2018

Excellent course - I have learned so much. Thank you to the awesome teachers

By Evita K

May 17, 2018

It's very insightful and beautiful. Helped me hear and become my characters.