Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character by Wesleyan University

At the center of a good story are the characters in it. In this course aspiring writers will discover how to build and bring to life complex, vivid and unforgettable characters. We will study the choices a writer makes to bring all characters to life on the page, and we will perform written exercises in order to develop a variety of writing and pre-writing techniques, in order to create a variety of characters. We will learn how to use our own life experiences, and the people we know (and how not to!). We will develop inner (thoughts and feelings) and outer (appearance, habits, behavior) lives for our characters and see how that can lead us to richer and more interesting stories. We will breathe life into our characters and let them surprise us....

Aug 10, 2016

I loved this course! Extremely useful and hands on. The course instructor was really impressive, both informative and empathetic, both arty and to the point. Totally admired her style of instruction.

N
Sep 25, 2020

The course was very well-structured and challenging. The instructor is very experienced and good, thus used relevant materials for this course, be it the guests, or the assignments, or the examples.

201 - 225 of 450 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Character

By Ameera M

Jul 15, 2020

Very informative, rich with sources that help us better understand. Would definitely recommend.

By Carmen L B

Jun 13, 2019

With this course, I gathered a strong sense of how to develop a character for a story or scene.

By Esha B

Mar 6, 2019

Have learnt many new tricks and Amy Bloom's talks are absolutely wonderful! Thank you so much!

By Steph T

Nov 22, 2020

This course aided me through crafting characters in writing. It's a very fruitful experience.

By Aggie H

May 15, 2020

I love this course. The tips of creating the characters echo in my mind. Thank you very much!

By Amanda C

Sep 5, 2016

Excellent experience. Instructor was very informative and the peer feedback was very helpful.

By Debra T

Jun 13, 2018

Professor Bloom was so great and full of invaluable knowledge. I learned so much, thank you!

By Rachel M

Jan 21, 2017

I truly have learned a lot, especially understanding more about my strengths and weaknesses

By swapna g

Nov 12, 2019

I enjoyed the course. Would have loved it more with a few readings along with the videos

By Homer W

Aug 6, 2018

"The Craft of Character" is a basic building block to understanding character narration.

By Erinn J

Mar 16, 2018

Fantastic class that really helped me organize the way I create and develop characters.

By MPEARSALL

Aug 13, 2017

Excellent course. I enjoyed how the instructors brought the content together.

By Carol W

Nov 8, 2016

Great course, the instructor provided insights into what makes a character interesting.

By Ana S A C

Aug 13, 2016

Great material to rethink what you are working on and how to approach your characters

By Aileen

Aug 5, 2020

I enjoyed the exercises vermy much, they really stretched my thinking and helped me.

By Michelle D

Mar 31, 2017

Outstanding: Provides many tools to help the author better tell their story. Yeah

By Brian D

May 9, 2016

Very good course, gave a lot of insight on writing and specially about the character

By Clémence C

Feb 8, 2018

The teacher is so good, so clear, that everything sounds logical and easy to apply.

By Fernanda M

Jun 4, 2020

Amazing course. Very good insight on developing a character and bring them to life

By Lori B B (

Nov 29, 2017

This is a very good course for the beginning writer. I would recommend it highly!

By Rochelle S

Aug 25, 2016

Just as good as the others in the Creative Writing specialization. Try them all!

By Maria C C B

Sep 8, 2020

I love this course so much! It gave me inspiration to begin writing. Thank you!

By Reginald P R

May 16, 2020

Really enjoyed the course. Great instructor with in-depth material. I loved it.

By Giovanni P

Feb 6, 2021

This is an essential course for understanding how to start writing creatively.

By Sarah A

Nov 11, 2019

This is a good opportunity to practice various ways of developing a character.