Back to Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

BM
Nov 4, 2019

The course was informative on how to build, structure and develop the plot of our own stories. It was also very helpful in guiding us through the editing process. A useful course for aspiring writers.

LB
Nov 15, 2018

Great information about plot and scene structure. The information about revision was entirely new to me - thank you! The exercises were good and difficult in a good way that helped me hone my writing.

151 - 175 of 1,108 Reviews for Creative Writing: The Craft of Plot

By Manoranjan M

Feb 16, 2017

This course improved my writing skills in a tangible way - I will apply it both for my aspiration to become a writer as well as to express myself better at work. My main improvement is in structure and understanding more about editing process, getting rid of unnecessary part of the outcome.

By Afifa E

Apr 22, 2020

The course is short but it hits all the points needed in creating a plot. I also find the shop talk very insightful and gave me perspectives outside of the course material. The teacher summarizes it nicely and the course is very easy to follow. The assignments are also fun and challenging.

By Vatsala S

Jul 20, 2020

A great course to structure your works and realize the importance of setting and description in making a scene come alive. I enjoyed it and would love to go for further courses in this specialization. I thank the instructor for making it readily available to learners across the world.

By Nisarg S

Aug 16, 2018

The course is precisely designed and gives ample amount of information regarding the plot. This course has given me enough details about the plot and its structure in detail with different types and methods, that I can now write my own novel about which I was procrastinating a lot.

By Courtney H

Nov 22, 2020

I learned a lot from this course. I am now able to improve my writing just from learning what the plot is and how stories are structured. It got me thinking about the process in a way I hadn't thought of. I've probably done this without realizing I was doing what I was learning.

By Ashish N

Jun 10, 2020

The guidance and teaching received throughout the course was lucid,informative and well structured. In a lot of way it provided much needed confidence required for a beginner as myself and to make me fall in love of writing fiction and give a sense of belief that i can do it.

By sepas h

Dec 14, 2018

the way Amy Bloom describes the process of creating the characters and throws the light on even the simplest questions you would want to ask before doing it is so inspiring. and of course the shop talks are incredibly informative, and a great chance no one can afford to miss.

By Emma F

Jan 5, 2020

I have a very technical mind, so I really appreciated the way the lecturer, Brando Skyhorse, broke down the method for writing a good plot. Completing this course, and seeing what I was able to write because of it, makes me excited to complete the rest of the specialization!

By Chittaranjan K

Jul 8, 2020

This course is something extraordinary. You get many things to learn. I would thank this course leader Brando Skyhorse for explaining such a complex topic in simple language and by giving variety of examples which are relatable to this new generation. Thank you Coursera.

By leslie s

Sep 28, 2016

Great class! Simple and direct. Brando Skyhorse has a great demeanor and very open and warm. Very encouraging. The assignments were clear and manageable and yet challenging. Stimulating to push past my comfort zone. Definitely recommend it! Thanks so much, Brando!

By Jeanne B

Nov 4, 2018

wonderfully set up. I can follow and do at my own page and learn so much at the same time. Its structure keeps me going and the extended deadlines are a very useful feature... so is the price of the subscription, as it does keep me from going too far off off deadlines.

By Kathleen S

Nov 15, 2020

I love writing more, after taking the first four weeks of this class. The instructor provides top-notch information about the mechanics and guidelines to effective writing, with a lot of insights from professionals in the industry. I look forward to the next lesson!

By Sachit M

May 9, 2020

Outstanding course for anyone who wants to write anything. I love writing, and recently someone told me to get trained and become a bettwe writer. I found this course and loved it. Brando is an amazing instructor. Just his presence makes you feel calm. And his looks!

By Ole D J

Feb 19, 2018

Awesome course.

Can feel the missing pieces slowly fall together in my writing for every assignment.

So happy this and the following courses were made available on Coursera.

Will mention the author as well as this course in my first book if I manage to get it published.

By Ramsha T

Apr 21, 2020

This course has helped me in many ways to understand that how a plot should work. Before this, I ised to get very confuse about the structuring of story to make sense out of it but this course has helped me learn pattern with which I can make any plot make sense.

By Royslyn V T

Sep 16, 2020

Great Course. It helped me honed my skills and helped me to be better at plotting. I wasn't much for plotting but I realised that I knew and loved that I could produce a good story. Definitely recommend those who wish to better their writing to do this course.

By Afonso V N

Oct 29, 2020

It's a great course that helped me a lot to develop my desire for writing. The content is clear and easy to assimilate, it offers great exercises to train and meaningful insights about the art of writing through the instructor's shop talks and the peer reviews.

By Karena A

Dec 23, 2019

This is not your run-of-the mill writing course. Brandon is a gifted teacher and the content and activities opened up new ideas for me. I learned some additional ways to look at story. The format also allows communication among students, which is very valuable.

By Henry M A M

Aug 17, 2020

really excellent, I have learned a lot in this course, many unknown things or that I did not apply correctly with this course I was able to better understand various concepts, I hope that the classmates have also been able to learn and know more, very grateful

By Alicia S

Jul 4, 2016

I didn't take this class for credit, I took this class as a refresher. The professor gave a lot of good information and I really enjoyed the class. I enjoyed the class so much, I would take it again. Please recommend a book for the next class. Good class!

By Michael Y

Dec 17, 2018

This course has been a godsend to further develop my skill in the art of creative writing.

Thank you, Brando. This course has been incredible, inspiring, and foundational to my future.

Whoever wishes to advance their creative writing; this course is for you.

By Edwin D S d L

Sep 25, 2020

Enjoyable course full with clearly explained concepts and detailed examples that make it even easier to understand. The practical exercises are fun to write and encourage you to hone your skills through each unit. Good for writers at all levels of skill.

By Dawn P

Nov 22, 2020

This course was engaging from the start. Assignments were interesting and the lesson videos extremely helpful. The videos with published authors discussing how they tackled the elements we were learning was a great touch. I highly recommend this course.

By Jeffrey C

Jun 5, 2017

This is a great course and instructed very well. I like that it is all done in video sessions. I have had too many courses with other organizations that sell a course that is just written material that you can get on Amazon in a few books for $4.99...

By Aya

Aug 9, 2020

Lecture from Brando Skyhorse is pretty clear and good, the guest interviews are interesting and fun. The conversation are very laid-back and easy to follow. The feedbacks from the peer are also constructive, very supportive with one another. Thank you!