Back to Data Visualization

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Data Visualization by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Learn the general concepts of data mining along with basic methodologies and applications. Then dive into one subfield in data mining: pattern discovery. Learn in-depth concepts, methods, and applications of pattern discovery in data mining. We will also introduce methods for pattern-based classification and some interesting applications of pattern discovery. This course provides you the opportunity to learn skills and content to practice and engage in scalable pattern discovery methods on massive transactional data, discuss pattern evaluation measures, and study methods for mining diverse kinds of patterns, sequential patterns, and sub-graph patterns....

MK
Apr 5, 2018

Good course, very well structured and with interesting assignments. Some (especially first) lessons are more of a general culture but most are very helpful and allow to learn a lot of things.

GC
Nov 16, 2020

Very useful course. It enlightens my ways to data visualization. I knew some concepts, but in a disorganized way and not knowing how. This course fills these gaps. It is tremendously helpful.

201 - 225 of 285 Reviews for Data Visualization

By Marie C

Feb 2, 2020

When saying that we do not need to be able to program, I feel we should get additionnal ressources, especially for assignment two.. as it was very hard to parse the data provided due to the large number. Maybe it would then be beneficial to provide smaller set of data for the network graph.

By Diana C G R

Jul 22, 2016

I like the course because it helps you make visualizations of different types of data by using very simple tools based on rich algorithms. I understand the fundamental concepts to discover patterns and relevant information from the data, applying some design rules in the software.

By Liru H

May 20, 2018

give us big picture of visualizations and share lots of practical skills. also cover some mechanisms of why visualization through introducing human visual perception system. However, the tool in this course is mainly the tableu which is a business software that is not free.

By Vik V

Jul 17, 2019

Good high level course that covers many of the basics. Not a lot of practical (though the course does state that up front). 4 out of 5 only because it felt like the last lecture felt like it was trying to shoehorn in a ton of new concepts without really fleshing them out.

By Alexander S

Sep 13, 2019

You get broad overview about Data Visualization.

Therefor the depth of the course isn't to high.

Please provide additional information upfront, which tools are recommended to pass this course.

Some peer reviewers do not grade according to the guidelines.

By Dmitry S

Dec 10, 2016

Interesting course, but too much theoretical data without providing sufficient practical tasks to remember it better.

In other courses they used to have mini quizzes embedded into videos. They are usually very helpful, but here we got none of them.

By Sean M

May 14, 2018

I liked the 'harder' science aspect of the course and how it went beyond basic design considerations. Maybe a little challenging for novices with visualization, but good deep dive for people who want more theory and visualization science.

By Devender B

Jan 27, 2019

Human visual perception and cognition, design and color usage are the new things which I learnt are very useful for applying the skills in real life. I wish there is one module for training on an open source visualization tool

By Kurt

Nov 5, 2016

This course was excellent. It provided not only an overview of what data visualisation is but it also proved to be sufficiently challenging regarding the assignments and quizzes. This was truly a university course.

By Gary D

Jun 2, 2017

A fairly interesting course with a good instructor. The course gave me a chance to play with my visualization tools in order to expand my usage rather than being in a rush to complete my tasks.

By Vaidhyanathan C

Apr 27, 2020

I enjoyed a great deal of this course. However, I felt that the course could be improved by adding in a few programming implementations of visualization. Thank you for teaching this subject!

By Pham T K

Sep 3, 2021

It encourage learner to explore more about data visualization while providing examples and programs to finished the course. However, I found it's quite theoretical and short.

By Ângelo

Mar 10, 2021

The classes were great. They are very theoretical in subjects related to computer graphics, I expected something a little more practical. But it was relevant for me, anyway.

By Mohammad H

Apr 11, 2020

An explanation of the reasoning behind the quiz answers would have been helpful. Ideally, similar to what you might see in a multiple choice standardized test prep guide.

By Kofi A

May 29, 2017

This very interesting course have sharpened my ability to read and interpret graphs in general and more importantly to pay more attention to every little details.

By Peter T

Aug 4, 2017

Good course. The section on graphs could use more detail on how the layout algorithms affect usability of data visualizations.

By shravan k

Jun 27, 2017

It should have more assignment and handson, It should also teach how to use any visualization tool for doing assignment.

By Dziem N

Oct 2, 2020

Very detailed and interesting discussion of visual perception in humans. The course is very well prepared. Thank you

By Eyes R

May 24, 2019

Helpful course. It provides some useful visualization strategies and a few techniques in an understandable format.

By Gary C

Jun 7, 2017

A solid review of core concepts in data visualization. Good inspiration for further, more in-depth learning.

By manijeh k

Aug 23, 2021

I have learned Tableau software and Python to do the assignments and It was really useful for me.

By Gerardo C C

Mar 10, 2018

A lecture video is missing, it seems like months since it's been like this. Please FIx It!

By Dora

Sep 25, 2020

It may be a little bit difficult for beginners who cannot program like me.

By S S

Feb 28, 2020

The content regarding network analysis could be more detailed

By Lerata M

Mar 15, 2021

Good course but, a little bit tricky for non programmer.